Glowing Flowers Touted As Floral 'Bling'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's pretty neat! Hubby sent me a dozen roses for Valentine's one year & each one had I Love You embossed in gold on one of the petals. I dried them & have the petals in pretty glass bowls now.

Very unusual. Have any of you noticed what is going on with poinsettias this year - all different colors. They are sprayed to match any decor. I don't like them at all. I like the original, the burgandy, even the white (or off white, really). Many of the new ones look fake as all get out - might as well buy some of the plastic ones. Sometimes progress isn't really progress.

agreed licia. i wonder if the stuff is bad for the environment? it says it's safe for people, but are there any hazardous waste products in it's creation?

i saw something recently that thru gene manipulation, they were able to create a glow in the dark mouse (they spliced in genes from a jellyfish).

now, my cats are lazy enough without having their targets lit up for them...

I think they are very cool! I would love to get a glow in the dark rose (I'm a major rose fan!), just to see it first hand :)

Hmm. I don't know what agent they use that glows but I'm pretty sure that most luminescent watch dials use tritium, they same stuff they "squirt" into a nuclear weapon during detonation to increase the yield. I'm sure they don't use it on the roses but can you imagine? Nothing says "I love you" like a dozen radioactive roses!

Edit: I tend to shoot from the hip and in all fairness, here's the EPA's analysis of tritium. I wasn't trying to frighten anyone!

http://www.epa.gov/radiation/radionuclides/tritium.htm

Last edited:
Candied Rose Petals

2 organic roses, petals removed
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1/2 cup fine sugar

Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Brush both sides of each rose petal with the beaten egg white and dip in the sugar. Let dry on the wax paper.

Oh, wait that says organic.... nevermind! :wacko:

As the glow radiates (no pun intended) off of the sheen of her hair that is somewhere in that hazmat suit... You look into her also glowing eyes (through the 1/4 inch of protective plexiglass) and whisper, (well, you might have to shout), sweet nothings....

smilie_verliebt01.gif

shannon in KS said:
Candied Rose Petals

2 organic roses, petals removed
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1/2 cup fine sugar

Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Brush both sides of each rose petal with the beaten egg white and dip in the sugar. Let dry on the wax paper.

Oh, wait that says organic.... nevermind! :wacko:
:LOL: Thanks for the chuckle Shannon! That's pretty much my recipe for candided rose petals too...Yum :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom