Braised Venison with Caramelized Onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Kim got two nice does this past weekend, and last night I found myself with a nice bag of tenders (Kim called them scraps). I seasoned the pieces with coarse salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, Worchester sauce, rubbed a little olive oil into them, and tossed them with a bit of flour. In a hot skillet, I put about 3 tbls olive oil and 2 tbls butter, then seared the meat until brown on all sides. Then I removed the meat from the skillet, turned down the heat, stirred flour into the drippings, then stirred in a can of beef broth. I cooked it, stirring, until partially thickened, then added the meat, covered the pan, and let it sit off the heat.
In the meantime, I put two large, thinly sliced sweet onions in a medium skillet with the same olive oil/butter mixture, seasoned them with S&P and a pinch of sugar, and let them cook slowly until soft and golden, then turned the heat up and let them brown a little.
Kim made the mashed potatoes, which he seasoned with a couple dollaps of Ranch Dip, and heated up a can of Le Seur Peas. By then, the gravy had thickened up, and we sat down to a real feast.

A couple of things I may try next time...using a little sweet Marsala wine along with the beef broth, which I find slightly bitter...and using a bit of sweet marjoram on the meat.
Noodles or rice would be would be a fine substitute for the mashed potatoes.

you betcha. sounds awesome!

also a mirepoix (chopped arromatic veggies) and red wine (dry or sweet) and let it fricasee (thyme would be herb of choice) and serve over wild rice pilaf.

game is good eatin'

Robo410 said:
also a mirepoix (chopped arromatic veggies) and red wine (dry or sweet) and let it fricasee (thyme would be herb of choice) and serve over wild rice pilaf.

game is good eatin'

The mirepoix is a great idea...and the wild rice would be perfect with it!
If a person had fresh morels, wouldn't THAT be good!

Thumper, I'm sorry you're not getting any venison this year...If you weren't so far away, I would share.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom