A question for you Grandparents.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
How many grandkids do you have and who do you buy Christmas for?
What are their ages?

Last edited:
You're really not having a good Christmas season are you? Sure hope things look up.

White elephants can be really fun. Let your self enjoy the game. And keep smiling.

We have two grandchildren, ages 7 and 4. Personally, rather than just giving to a few, even if I had 20 grandchildren, I could not imagine not getting something for each of them, even if it was just a little something from the dollar store or something I made. Our grandkids know we love them, so the size of the gift is never an issue for them. But if we were only to give one of them something and not the other, eventually someone would end up with hurt feelings!

:) Barbara

money doesn't matter to me either. I just wondered why all of a sudden she decided not to get them anything. Oh well, at least they can play the game. I just had a bad moment and I've calmed down now. Sorry to pitch a hissy fit. :eek:)

texasgirl said:
money doesn't matter to me either. I just wondered why all of a sudden she decided not to get them anything. Oh well, at least they can play the game. I just had a bad moment and I've calmed down now. Sorry to pitch a hissy fit. :eek:)

Heck, I manage to work at least one hissy fit in every day.
It's healthier than keeping everything deep inside. :) :)

My Mum's father was very poor & passed when I was very young so I don't really remember him. On Dad's side, they weren't much better off but kids & grandkids would fill a footy stadium. All parents would buy gifts for their own kids and drop them off at GP's house before Xmas along with the goodies, tucker etc. The GPs didn't have a say in it, it was a family decision. I didn't find out about the deals until I was much older.

As GP of one and P of 3, although on a pension our outlays are still pretty good. We still buy for extended family, although my Brother is getting upset with us for buying gifts for his kids out of our pension.

Life's like that. I don't know what is going to happen next year, we'll just have to wait and see.

We've finally slowed Susie's parents' spending and told them that if they must spend money, to spend it on their Great Granddaughter., our kids are old enough to understand.

Sorry I'm not much help Texas.

We have 6 grandchildren, ages 25 to 2 yrs. We buy for all of them. We get our 2 children and their spouses gift certificates (this year to Home Depot) their choice. I don't establish a budget for their gifts, but do try to stay in the ballpark with each one (except for the 25 yr old, who is a single mother with an ex husband who doesn't pay child support) I've helped her buy nice clothes for work since they are so expensive, but my daughter is helping more with that now, so I got her a cashmere sweater and a Victoria Secret's gift certificate. My son's kids, I got mostly toys I know they like and a couple of clothing items, except for the 11 year old. I got her preteen grooming supplies and cosmetic kit (no makeup), a cute little blazer, a nice sweater and I can't remember what else I got her. I enjoy gift giving to my grandchildren, but wish I could see them when they open them up. My two year old I got a somewhat remote control truck (simple to use, his dad will help him)and a couple of other toys that he can play with in the house. DH and I don't usually get each other a big gift, although last Christmas he did get a humongous tv for the both of us. I think this year we are getting a new computer chair. We don't exchange gifts with our siblings. I get my mother something if I can think of something. She is almost 88 years old and doesn't usually need or want anything, so I may give her a bit of cash. Also, dd, gs and gd and I are going up to take her to dinner for her birthday Sunday. She is excited about that. DH and I buy ourselves whatever we need during the year so we don't really need or want anything else at Christmas - I'm sure it is a problem for our kids, but they always surprise us with something we hadn't thought about. We don't spend a lot of money like some people, but we are happy with what we give and others seem to be. It does seem that parents and grandparents should be somewhat equitable in their giftgiving, tho - not preferring some over others. I wouldn't like that at all if my kids were affected by that.

Pitch away Texas, I sure would..But, then I'd shake it off and find a wy to fix things so my kids wouldn't know..I've done it before..Just bought something and put m-i-l's name to it and the kids never knew..
We have two granddaughters 10 and 12 both are into barral racing, gymkana,so we are usually pitching in for saddels,boots,riding jackets, hats..But the girls love pretty cloths so I usually buy them an outfit and barbies when they were into that. Now no so many toys but theylove to read Nancy Drew, so that is on the list..We also have as you know Cade, Ethan and Carson, plus Olivia will arrive in January.. Olivia is getting a cute little outfit to come home from the hospital in and a crib mobile for now..Cade wants a remote controlled dinosaur, Leapster learning games and any toy that Santa hasn't left :ROFLMAO: but will settle for just about anything and be happy..Plus I've gotten him some cord and a shirt and crew neck sweater, Etahn got a new coat, pants and sweater, weeble wobble school bus, a home planet theater, as did Cade and glow in the dark planets to hang from the ceilings of their rooms...(Cade and Ethan) Carson got a special toy to sit and play at, plus all kinds of other things.They each are getting a butterfly garden, send for the catterpillars and watch them become butterflies..So many thing but, heck We can do it and our gift is just seeing the smiles and ohhs and ahhhs as they open the gifts..e past several years, we've gone to my daughters home Christmas morning to be with Cade as he see's what Santa brought and have brunch...This year my daughter and her DH have bought another new home and will spend Christmas eve and night here so Santa has been instructed to come to Ma's home to leave Cade and Carson's presents:LOL: I'm so excited about this, It's been a long time since they have stayed here like this..I can hardly wait:)
I know we overdo with thegrandkids,but we've been lucky as all of them are always delighted with what they get, say thank you and hug and kiss us, they also play nicely with the toys and share with each other..And, as long as I'm able and mommy and daddy ok everything, I'll get what I can for them...It really isn't how much a kid gets or even how expensive, it's the love you show them and the respect you show them the rest of the year that counts...

kadesma, helping Santa:LOL:

For son #1 and wife:
A food processor,
Son #1 a 2006 calender for his office and $$$$
wife Sandie:
An electric warming blanket and soft fuzzy socks both to wear while watching TV

21 and 17 year old grandsons
Movie tickets ( 4 each) and fast food gift certificates ( parents requested no $$ this year)

#2 son
Tires for his car, game for X-Box, socks and underwear by request and $$

DH and I haven't decided what to do for each other..usually a joint gift since he won't shop and with both of us recovering from broken hips it was advised for us not to go out into the crowds this year.

Reading this has been interesting since I have very limited experience in this area. Both of my grandfathers had passed before I was born and neither grandmother could afford to buy for all of us (18 on 1 side and 20 on the other). My DD is my Mom's only human grandchild (Dad passed 8 years ago) and if my FIL and SMIL bought her something I would faint.

My mother has too many grandchildren to buy presents for also. When there were only a few, she did. My dad passed away in 1990 and her resources are limited. I don't think presents were as much a part of life to the older generation as they have been to ours. Although, my dh's grandmother always gave even when we felt like she couldn't afford it. I don't think she gave to her other two grandchildren, but they never went to see her. Even when she was in a nursing home, they seemed to forget her. But they also neglected their own mother, who lived with us the last year of her life and was only visited by them a couple of times. They both came around when the will was executed, though. We haven't seen them in years.

I have deleted most of my post because, after reading most of your replys, I feel like a whiney brat and I never meant to sound that way. I'm sorry to you all for having a worse thing going than I do. I guess I never should have said anything.

Texas, you didn't have to do that, (delete most of your post) Christmas is a busy hectic time of year and even the most organized, cool, self possesed person can come unglued at times..One thing that is so wonderful about this forum is that most everyone knows how you're feeling, has been through it and wishes they could hug ya..And they all let us vent and cry, laugh and guffah and instead of ignoring us or telling us to go away, they jump right in and offer help or what ever they can to make things better...So don't feel like you need to apologise or remost part of a post, just let the warmth surround you, it's given with love...

kadesma:)

I certainly hope I didn't make you feel bad. We all feel a bit whiney at times and this season sometimes seems to increase the tendency, mainly because we all seem to think everyone else is happier and having a better time than we are. It does bring out a plethora of emotions in us, perhaps because of recalling times past, even with those who may not be with us anymore. We do need to do what we can handle and not live by what others expect or even want of us. That is easier said than done. Hope you are feeling better by now.

Texas, vent away, we have lots of "ears" to lend ya.

I have just one grandson and he is getting a iPod nano.

Back
Top Bottom