Sticky gingerbread cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
280g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
0.25 tsp salt
170g unsalted butter, softened
90g light muscovado sugar
220g Tate & Lyle's golden syrup
1 egg
200ml milk
4 pieces preserved stem ginger, chopped

Set the oven to 180°/gas 4. Line the base of a 20 cm square cake tin with non-stick baking parchment, and butter the sides.
Sift the flour with the bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt.
Cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Now beat in the golden syrup, then a heaped tablespoonful of the flour mixture followed by the egg.
Beat in the remaining flour, followed by the milk, until the mixture forms a smooth batter. Stir in the stem ginger.
Scrape into the prepared tin. Bake for about 40-45 minutes until firm to the touch. Test by inserting a skewer deep into the centre. If it comes out clean then it is done. Let the gingerbread cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes, and then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.

Whilst this cake is lovely still slightly warm from the oven - and makes a good pudding, served with hot custard - it is better (and becomes stickier) if you wrap it in greaseproof paper and foil and store in an airtight container for a couple of days. My husband likes this spread with good fresh local butter.

I have been looking for something to bake today, and this will fill the bill. HOWEVER, I only have dried ginger, no stem ginger, can I leave it out? And muscovado sugar is golden sugar right? I'm going to go google it to be sure.

Moscovado can be light or very,very dark brown sugar (2 types)

I use the light one in this recipe. As for the stem ginger, well if you haven't got any, leave it out - I have been known to substitute walnuts for the ginger!

Here's what I found on www.recipezaar.com

A British specialty brown sugar, it is very dark brown and has a strong molasses flavor. Light brown muscovado sugar is also available. Muscovado sugar crystals are slightly coarser and stickier in texture than regular brown sugar. Light and dark brown muscovado sugars contain molasses; the darker the color is, the more molasses and thus a stronger the flavor.

muscovado sugar [SIZE=-1]food[/SIZE]

Season: available year-round

Substitutions: good quality brown sugar

Just took it out of the oven. I almost can't wait til it is cool! Cup of Earl Grey and some cake is just the thing for an afternoon snack today.

Love my earl grey tea with lemon cake but love gingerbread as well.... could you substitute molasses for the golden syrup? I think it (golden syrup) is hard to find in the U.S. What is golden (derivitive) syrup anyway? P.S. candied ginger and a "drizzle" of confectioner's icing is also a lovely garnish/topping for gingerbread as is a sprinkling of raw (golden) rock sugar.

P.S. gingerbread also makes a great (holiday etc.) trifle or tiramisu when cubed or cut in sliced and doused (lightly) with brandy then spread with marscapone or whipped cream and layered with poached or caramelized pear. Top top with whipped cream and some candied ginger. :)

cookiecookie, molasses is much darker than golden syrup. Try some corn syrup mixed with a bit of molasses.

Oooo, sorry I forgot to post! It was delicious! There is one little piece left if you want some. However, the kids will be home in about 5 minutes so you'd best hurry!

No, thank you - not good for diabetics - but I hope you don't mind if I just take a big SNIFF.... I love the smell of gingerbread cake!

AW MAN! THAT SUCKS Ishbel! Hmmmmm, maybe we can make you a mock gingerbread cake with Splenda and um...well I can't think of a sub for the syrup. Phooey.

Sending good smells your way though. Got some mocha cookies going now.

I'm famous (well, within my circle of friends and family) for luscious desserts and cakes. I never had much of a sweet tooth, even before I was diabetic, but now all I can do is sniff the sweeter of the puddings. I DO eat some puddings, I'm just careful about how much and how often. :)

Back
Top Bottom