Sharpening stones and Where to buy? (merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alan S

Assistant Cook
Sharpening Stones

I decided to keep the 4-Star Henckel Santoku, cause I got it for a good deal, $55, and it would just be more trouble then its worth to return it and then shop for a new one, or a gift certificate at a popular cutlery store. Anyway, im going to get my father a set of sharpening stone to go with this knife, plus he can use them to sharpen up his existing knives.

He pointed this out to me and said he would really like something like it,

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shop/details.asp?SKU=4659

But it doesnt say whether it comes with the stones or not. Does anyone know, or do I have to buy the stones seperatly?

Last edited:
I have been looking for some sharpening stones, as mentioned before in a previous thread. So I was wondering if there are any retail stores that sell stones? I have seen stones all over online, but it seems like there are no local stores here in Utah that sell any type of sharpening stone. I checked most of the cutlery stores in the area, and I cheked Williams and Sonoma Online, cause I think they have a store right close to me. I also checked Bed Bath and Beyond, they don't show any on their website. The only sharpeners these places sell are electric ones, or hand sharpeners made specifically for knives, as well as a selection of steels. The only place I found any type of stone was Home Depot, and it specifcally mentions that they are only sold online.

Does anyone know of retail stores that sell stones?

I took a drive over to Home Depot, and didn't really find anything, and I went to Lowes, they didnt have anything. So I think ill just have to bite the bullet and buy it online. Not that it is any worse or better to buy it online, I just hate having to wait for stuff to ship. I've always been weird like that, if I buy it I want it in my hand now, I don't like having to wait 3 or 4 days.

Anyways, do you guys think that this is a good multi-purpose stone? Is this something that will put a sharp edge on a knife?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2-5683131-4449705?n=507846&s=kitchen&v=glance

Tell ya what, Alan...my husband bought an electric knife sharpener from Cabello's that is the berries! It does a wonderful job on our knives. Dull knives really aggravate me.

Going back to your original post - yes, the Norton Medium 3-Way Multi Oilstone appears to come with the stones and is just a smaller and less expensive version of the Full Size Norton 3-Way Multi Oilstone (this page actually has a full description of the system). Norton also makes a Small size. Of course, if you have any questions about them, you can always click on that little "Contact Us" button at the bottom right of the page and send them an email.

RE: Retail Stores ...

Since you don't say where you live in Utah it's kind of hard to direct you to a specific place that might be local to you. Break out your phone book yellow pages and look for "Restaurant Supply" and "Knife" stores - then give them a call, explain what you're looking for, and see what they have. I know down here we have a place called "The House of Knives" and that's basically all they sell ... and they have just about every kind of sharpening system imaginable, and can explain the pros, cons and differences, and teach you how to use them.

Last edited:
Woodcrafter too

Woodworking Supplies can be an excellent source for honing guides, Japanese Wet Stones and Diamond Stones; along with books on sharpening. If none are found locally try www.Woodcraft.com or www.Rockler.com and search for sharpening supplies. Don't make the mistake of buying too small a stone, you want to be able to stroke your blade smoothly from end to end.

Back
Top Bottom