Christmas treat from Tuscany - Ricciarelli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urmaniac13

Executive Chef
We make these every year and always a big hit... we also make extra of them, as they are lovely company to the champagne to bring in the New Year!!

Ricciarelli (pronounced rich-arelli)

img_202040_0_d52881550aab88b5a7e9b3eff87d8cb2.jpg

1 egg white
250g (8,5oz) peeled almonds
300g (10,5oz) sugar
a few drops of vanilla essence
a pinch of salt
20g (1 tbsp) honey
grated lemon zest from 1/2 of lemon
powdered sugar, as needed
confectioner's wafer, as needed

- In a food processor finely grind the almonds to fine granules (almost powder).
- In a bowl mix sugar and the almonds together.
- Beat eggwhite with vanilla and a pinch of salt, then pour it into the sugar/almond mixture, delicately blend them in with the rest of ingredients.
- Dust a flat working surface with plenty of powdered sugar, then roll out evenly the almond mixture upon to about 1-1,5cm (half inch) thickness.
with a sharp knife also dusted with powdered sugar, slice the dough into small diamond shapes (about 6 x 3,5cm, or 2,5 inch x 1,5 inch more or less).
- *Lay them on top of a sheet of confectioner's wafer, then cut the wafer to fit into each pieces, but just slightly larger. (the doughs grow slightly while being cooked.)
*Alternatively, you can lay out the dough directly onto the wafer and cut them together, if you have a large enough sheet of the wafer.
- Lay out a baking paper on the flat baking sheet/pan, place the ricciarelli and bake at 140°C/280°F for about 15 minutes, or take them out of the oven as soon as they take on brownish colour. This is crucial, as they need to remain very light in the colour and tender inside.
- Let it cool completely without touching. (while warm they are still very very soft, only when they are cool they would attain the right firmness.)
- Cover each ricciarelli generously with powdered sugar.

Buon Appetito!!:chef: & Buon Natale!!
img_202040_1_980a423941e44829a05a447d2bb6af5f.gif

Last edited:
Thanks Marm... yes... if I had to do this all on my own it may have taken a practice or two... luckily Cristiano was already expert in this!!:) It is kinda tricky to get the right texture, but once you get the hang of it it becomes quite simple. The key is really, using the sharp knife, using the generous amount of powdered sugar, and then, not overcooking them. Give it a go, even if they become a bit too crunchy and golden they are still delicious, and you will know how to adjust it for the next time!!:-p

What exactly is "confectioner's wafer"? I'm not sure I have ever heard of it before.
I recently found out that my grandmother was Italian, born in Sicily, so I am exanding my knowledge of Italian foods. This recipe will be perfect to make for New Year's Eve!

i think i went to school with him (richard arelli :) ). he's now in waste management.

mmmm, thanks for posting this urmaniac. i love these, and you're right, they're great with champagne, or even dipped in red wine.

buckytom said:
i love these, and you're right, they're great with champagne, or even dipped in red wine.

That quote works with a great many things!! Although those cookies do look good. I don't think I've ever had them, might need to search some out.

John

Back
Top Bottom