Grated Carrots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I have a HUGE pile of carrots. I was thinking of grated them and freezing them to make carrot cakes later. Can I do this? I have never heard of anyone freezing carrots before.

You ever grate them after they have been frozen? What is the consistency like? I am just concerned about their water content. Thanks for the help Andy.

It should be fine Alix, I usually just peel and cut carrots into rounds or cut them into tiny cubes before I freeze them. Since you are planning to put them into cakes, I don't see why grating wouldn't work too (aka, if they don't look as fresh s new when they come out of the freezer no one will notice as they'll be in the cake batter :)).

Give them a quick blanche before freezing and they won't be tough when thawed and baking.

I've bought a bag of those baby carrotts and froze them, but when they were thawed they were real wet and soft. Maybe they would turn out ok if they are shredded.

Thanks all! Those are very helpful tips. I think I am going to try it out. I need some room in my fridge and these carrots are taking up a LOT of room.

Grate and freeze - they'll be fine! I did this all the time when making carrot cake for the shop this summer! If they look like they're a little moist when thawing, you can just put them on a paper towel to drain off a bit. Otherwise, they're fine.

Thanks marmalady, I'll do that. Good tip about draining too, I think by the time my family is done with all these carrot cakes they will be crying uncle!

Carrot cakes, carrot muffins, carrot bread----------and on the savory side, carrot salad, veggie pancakes/tempura, throw some in salads or your 'sketti sauce!

Veggie pancakes and tempura? Yummy thoughts! Got recipes to share?

Also, who's stupid idea was grating 10 lbs of carrots anyway? SHEESH!

amber said:
I've bought a bag of those baby carrotts and froze them, but when they were thawed they were real wet and soft. Maybe they would turn out ok if they are shredded.
Next time you could try a technique that I like to use for slices or pieces of fruit (or whole berries). Spread the baby carrots (make sure they are as dry as can be first) in a single layer on a non-stcik baking sheet (or line it with parchment first) and throw them in the frrezer until they are frozen solid. Take them off the baking sheet and transfer right away to freezer-proof bags or containers. I haven't done this with "baby carrots" but it works well with chuncks or regular carrots :)

Also another important thing to remember when you freeze vegetables... DO NOT thaw them, take them out of the freezer and cook them right away still frozen!! If you try to thaw them you will lose all the juice, texture and freshness!!

I try to sneak vitamins in on my family, so I add a few grated carrots to all kinds of things: potato soup, spaghetti sauce, meat loaf, and salads, to name a few.

Constance said:
I try to sneak vitamins in on my family, so I add a few grated carrots to all kinds of things: potato soup, spaghetti sauce, meat loaf, and salads, to name a few.

This is so true, Connie... Cris's younger ones don't like (or insist that they don't like) carrots and bell peppers and onions, but when I mince them and mix into items like you mentioned, they happily eat them. It is ovbiously not a problem as long as they don't see them!!:LOL:

marmalady said:
Grate and freeze - they'll be fine! I did this all the time when making carrot cake for the shop this summer! If they look like they're a little moist when thawing, you can just put them on a paper towel to drain off a bit. Otherwise, they're fine.

i freeze them all the time,whole and grated and cut,and i do the paper towel trick,and they are just fine this way...

urmaniac13 said:
This is so true, Connie... Cris's younger ones don't like (or insist that they don't like) carrots and bell peppers and onions, but when I mince them and mix into items like you mentioned, they happily eat them. It is ovbiously not a problem as long as they don't see them!!:LOL:
I do this too (also with zucchini) only it's for DH, not for kids :LOL:

i give my carrots an "A" for the amount of, well vitamin a.

oops, wait, you said grated, not graded...:cool:

buckytom said:
i give my carrots an "A" for the amount of, well vitamin a.

oops, wait, you said grated, not graded...:cool:

That depends on how many karats you have. :LOL:

Alix, I adore carrots, but much prefer any veg fresh rather than frozen. If you would like some carrot recipes (wanna use 'em up), I have a couple I would love to share.

Back
Top Bottom