Which is going to be heavier cookware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You guessed it right!!

The KitchenAid stainless steel cookware set looks pretty impressive though. That's the thing with Target though. They never seem to have what they advertise for sale.

That happened to me while online. I was looking for one of those countertop convectiion ovens, you know, the ones with the clear high dome? It was cheap also - less than $35.00.

When I proceeded to order it from them, put in my credit card number and went to complete and officiate the deal, I then get this; "Sorry. This item is out of stock.!!!!" I was like WTF!!!! If the thing is not in stock, then what the **** is it doing still being posted for purchasing?!!!

But yes, the Emerilware stainless steel cookware set IS heavy, sturdy and well worth the money spent for it. I own the 10-pc. set. It has triple-layer thick clad bottoms to spread and maintain the high heat perfectly for constant even-heat cooking. And thank you for providing the link to that website. Because it has matching pieces for the cookware set so that you can add at your leisure to expand the set as much or as little as you want. That's good for me! And you if you get the set.

I posted a thread on the cookware. I'm surprised that you didn't see it. But if you want my advice, go with the Emerilware stainless stell cookware set. I got it and have had it since October. I love it! The best cookware that I've ever owned in a long time!!! It's great!!:chef:

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I saw that thread, BUUUTTTT I thought by posting this NEW thread I would get a faster response.

I have it narrowed down to these two sets.

If the KA set is a tri-ply rather than a disc on the bottom type such as the Emerilware, then the KA would probably be heavier.

I don't know.

I've only just found out about this set today. The only other K'Aid cookware sets I've seen before this were the Teflon-coated aluminum type.

They are amongst the last to emerege with a stainless steel set that I know of.

~Corey123.

Andy M. said:
If the KA set is a tri-ply rather than a disc on the bottom type such as the Emerilware, then the KA would probably be heavier.

I agree.

Because E-ware is made by Allclad, people often mistakenly assume that it is fully clad, when it isn't. It's their lowest end product that has a jacked-up price because of Emeril. Much like "Emeril's" low-end Wusthof knives, if he still sells those.

I don't consider E-ware to be low-end.

Even though it's cheaper than All-Clad, it still has quality standards. Besides, if it weren't for Emeril, this cookware might not have been possible. Emeril made sure that there were no cut corners, cheap materials or sour grapes.

~Corey123.

But I can get the same encapsulated bottoms from a host of cookware makers for a fraction of the price. Tramontina is a good example.

Me, I'll stick with my cheap, heavy, well-seasoned Lodge Cast-Iron. It does everything well except backpacking.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Well you can't fail too bad with KA

KA is a good product all around. One thing I had noticed is that they are both stainless steel. Have you thought of teflon? Much easier to clean thats for sure. I myself don't use teflon much. I have a parrot and there is a gas that is given off from the stuff if it was to excessively overheat. I have stainless, though it is a challenge to clean many times.

I usually use cast iron and have used it for probably ten years or so. You had mentioned you were wondering which would be heavier. Well you can't go wrong with cast iron by a long shot here. It is very easy to clean, if you take care of it. "Cleaning" is a rather different word when you talk about cast iron. You do not "clean" cast iron with soap for instance. You season it before use and when you are done cooking you whip it clean. You could use steel wool a tad if you need and then let the pan sit on the stove for a bit with a new coat of oil. The key with cast iron is to make sure water does not sit on it (why you let it dry off on the burner to make sure it is free from water and have a coat of oil on them). As far as cost is involved cast iron is also as cheap as they come.

Not sure if you even considered this but I did not see a Wok in the pictures:) There are a lot of pans that could cludder my kitchen had I not had a Wok. Get a good carbon steel one and you will treasure it for a lifetime. Care is needed here because while getting a good carbon steel wok will be something to be treasured, getting a bad teflon wok will be pretty much the opposite and your spend double the amount of money in the process. And here again good = cheap:mrgreen: I got mine at:
http://www.wokshop.com/

Goodweed of the North said:
But I can get the same encapsulated bottoms from a host of cookware makers for a fraction of the price. Tramontina is a good example.

That's my point. You can pay a lot less for basically the same quality or pay a bit more for much better. The Emeril name adds $$$ which could be better spent or saved on the cookware itself. Emeril made the cookware possible to make money for Emeril.

And the case is even more blatent when it comes to his knives.

Last edited:
Isn't that what most celebrity chefs do though?

Endorse a product so that they can reap the harvest and make a profit on the sales? Rachel Ray also has knives out that she endorsed and uses on her cooking show 30-Minute Meals.

~Corey123.

Just because a celebrity endorses a product though, that does not automatically mean it is a product worth buying.

I agree with Jenny and Goodweed. While Emerilware may be good quality stainless with disk bottoms. It doesn't compare with the All-clad stainless line of tri-ply. As others have said, less costly disk bottomed cookware is available.

That may be true, but it's mainly the attention and recognition that they are after. And yes, Martha Stewart is another one, with her collaberation with Kmart.

Emerilware is made by All-Clad and has triple-layered bottoms. And the All-Clad sets have more pieces to them, driving the prices even higher.

~Corey123.

Comparing sets and the # of pieces isn't the way to go. Because if a set has more pieces to it, naturally it will be more expensive no matter who makes it. Plus you can buy smaller sets or cookware by the piece (which is often the more reasonable way to buy), lowering the price of any cookware.

Compare the cookware itself. How it's made. The value for the money.

All Clad may make E-ware but it's not a great value for the money, mostly IMO because of the Emeril name.

That's usually the case with most things, isn't it? You pay for the name?

I mean, I could have gone out and bought just any cookware set, but I didn't want that. I could have bought another Teflon-coated aluminum set, but i didn't want that again.

And yes, you CAN buy smaller sets of cookware and add matching pieces to them later as you please. I think co.'s still have starter sets.

But there IS cookware out there that is ten times worst than Emerilware. Mirro, Wearever and other very low-end cookware, to name a few - such an insult to peoples' inteligence and to food!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
You are very right. People are usually quite unhappy with those very cheap brands. Often though they don't realize that it's the cookware -- they assume they burn things because they are a bad cook.

Corey123 said:
I don't consider E-ware to be low-end.

Even though it's cheaper than All-Clad, it still has quality standards. Besides, if it weren't for Emeril, this cookware might not have been possible. Emeril made sure that there were no cut corners, cheap materials or sour grapes.

~Corey123.

Agreed. All-Clad would never put out a piece of junk. Even the low-end Calphalon stuff doesn't stink.

A set of cookware does not have to be fully clad to be a good piece of cookware right???

Has jennyema used the emerilware cookware before???

The December 05 consumer reports put the Emerilware 10 piece uncoated cookware in third place. The kitchen aid set was first place.

I will agree with jennyema that putting the name on the cookware is adding some price to the cookware.

The only thing I see from the pictures for the kitchen-aid set of cookware I was looking for is one big piece of aluminum on the bottom of the cookware.

Well... I am not one who would not admit ignorance.... Like I had said before, I do have some stainless steel pans. They usually do require a bit of cleaning though. And burn marks are sometimes hard to get to come off.

This being said. I am probably using the stainless steel pans on the lower side of the scale. My question is that if I got some pans on the higher end of the scale would I still have to go through exactly what I am doing with what I have... is it normal.

Because with my $12 cast iron pans... I don't.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom