Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Food and Kitchen Safety (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f129/)
-   -   Frozen Turkey Breast still safe? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f129/frozen-turkey-breast-still-safe-17572.html)

Piccolina 12-19-2005 07:13 AM

Frozen Turkey Breast still safe?

Hi guys, Saturday morning I had taken a pound (450 grams) of frozen turkey breast out of the freezer which I was planning to use that night for supper, but something unexpected came up late in the afternoon and we ended up having to go out and subsequently ate out as well. When we got home the turkey meat was still very cold so I put it in the fridge. Then yesterday we already had plans so I did not have time to cook it up again. Now it sits in the fridge waiting for your verdict, should I cook it up right now or turf it? Many TIA :smile:

MJ 12-19-2005 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piccolina
Hi guys, Saturday morning I had taken a pound (450 grams) of frozen turkey breast out of the freezer which I was planning to use that night for supper, but something unexpected came up late in the afternoon and we ended up having to go out and subsequently ate out as well. When we got home the turkey meat was still very cold so I put it in the fridge. Then yesterday we already had plans so I did not have time to cook it up again. Now it sits in the fridge waiting for your verdict, should I cook it up right now or turf it? Many TIA :smile:

When in doubt, throw it out!:sick: (Thats just me though...)

Piccolina 12-19-2005 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ
When in doubt, throw it out!:sick: (Thats just me though...)

Very good advice MJ! I'm divided as it hasn't developed an "off" smell or that tell-tlae poultry "slime" yet...Hmmm, what to do? :huh::mrgreen:

amber 12-19-2005 09:27 AM

I would throw it out, just to be safe.

CharlieD 12-19-2005 09:32 AM

I'm going to be cooking some turkey soup today, I got the meat on Thrusday and it's been in the fridge since. Nothing wrong with it, I am positive.

Andy M. 12-19-2005 09:38 AM

It's only been two days since you took it out of the freezer. It will be fine. Have a good meal.

urmaniac13 12-19-2005 09:46 AM

I am pretty positive that it is okay. Just watch for the discolouration, unpleasant/abnormal odour, and see if there is any slimy substance on the surface. If you detect any of these, dust bin is the destination, if not, your dinner will be its destination....:smile:

Robo410 12-19-2005 11:13 AM

assuming your fridge keeps food cold, cook it!

jennyema 12-19-2005 11:48 AM

It was out of the fridge for how long?

Piccolina 12-19-2005 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennyema
It was out of the fridge for how long?

It came out of the freezer at about 12pm and went into the fridge at about 7:30pm on Saturday. It was still a bit icey to the touch and very cold (our place is pretty darn cold in the winter, lol) when it went in the fridge (it's still in the fridge) :smile: