Christmas Shopping: A Cautionary Tale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DampCharcoal

Executive Chef
So I'm at Toys R Us yesterday, shopping for my 7 year old niece. Ya know, it's a Sunday and I get there at about 11:30 am. There's a few shoppers here and there but not the crush that I expected. Now, I can't remember the last time when I was at a Toys R Us (or if I ever was) and soon became confused. No problem, I thought, I'll just walk the aisles to familiarize myself with the alien surroundings. After about half an hour, the list my niece wrote for me has become meaningless gibberish. What in the heck is a Fly Pen? Pegasus Castle? Huh? Being a guy, I don't ask for directions because I know where everything is, right? Well, I finally get the bright idea to look up and discover those signs hanging above the aisle that describe the contents. Rock on! Not only am I starting to find what's on my niece's list , I'm also finding out that said items are REALLY expensive and there's about 30 items on the list, narrowed down from a much longer list. Once again, no problem. I'll just pick and choose the toys I can afford and then lie through my teeth about how the store just happened to be out of the big-ticket items. Here's where it gets ugly. It's about 12:45 and I'm diddy-bopping along in the Barbie aisle when the store suddenly fills to capacity in minutes. I forgot, church usually lets out around 12:30 and the flood gates of shoppers just opened. So I'm trapped in the Barbie aisle for about 10 minutes before claustrophobia sets in. I grabbed a few Barbie dolls, tossed them in the cart and then politely but firmly forced my way out of the aisle. Thankfully, checking out was a breeze.

What I learned:

Case the joint before you knock it over. Had I known the lay out, I would have been out of there long before the masses descended upon Toys R Us.

Do your research. The Internet is a powerful tool. I thought a Fly Pen was a pen that had fur or something and the kiddie's version of "bling bling" attatched to it. I didn't know that it was a pricey multi-media item.

Choose the time of day wisely. I thought I was sailing free but had forgotten that many people attend church on Sundays. No wonder the store was largely empty when I got there.

The moral of this story? Do your shopping online. I will be from now on! :mrgreen:

Very good points, Damp, especially doing all the shopping online!! Hitting Toys R Us (or any megastore that is) EARLY on a Sunday morning is really a good idea too I haven't thought about it... the problem is getting up so early though!!:LOL:

two points to add damp: firstly, men never ask for directions, because we like to think an inch equals a mile, when reading maps of course.
secondly, why weren't YOU in church young man? far greater gifts can be found there... and i don't mean in the collection plate.

buckytom said:
two points to add damp: firstly, men never ask for directions, because we like to think an inch equals a mile, when reading maps of course.
secondly, why weren't YOU in church young man? far greater gifts can be found there... and i don't mean in the collection plate.

:LOL: I'm used to working on Sundays! My line of work doesn't allow me to attend Church. Sleep is a rare commodity for me, I'll take it anywhere I can get it! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom