Steaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hvacwife

Senior Cook
8) How do you like your steak cooked?? For me, put it on turn it over get the plate it is done. Wait I think I hear it still mooing :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: Served with grilled onions and mushrooms and a salad.

hvacwife said:
8) How do you like your steak cooked?? For me, put it on turn it over get the plate it is done. Wait I think I hear it still mooing :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: Served with grilled onions and mushrooms and a salad.

Thick-cut, medium-rare, and with just one twist each from the black pepper and sea salt grinders. Served with some nice thick french fries.

Hey a little moo is not profane! I like them best the way my DH cooks them - perfectly - it should be a hanging offense to overcook good beef!

I enjoy my steaks rare.
1.gif
Slightly salted with fresh cracked pepper. I usually like it cooked on a grill with cherry wood smoke as the flavor. :D

I like mine thick, and I like them red to dark pink inside, but brown on the outside. In a restaurant I order medium. Usually I get what I want, although some do cook it a little more than I like. I come from a family who liked all their meat well done, so I was always the odd one! To get a thick steak around here, we have to go twenty miles to Monroe, NC. Here in Pageland the few restaurants that have steak seem to just serve paper-thin steaks.

:) Barbara

Steak is notoriously poor quality in England, and unless you go to top restuarants, usually quite thin. Often you are asked how you would like your steak, and this wafer thin piece of meat is presented, and you just wonder why they bother asking. It's never going to be anything other than well done.

I too love my steaks charred on the outside and pink (well red) on the inside. It's got to moo and there must be blood!!!!

My favorite steak...

Cut: Rib-eye
Marinade: Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Fresh Crushed Garlic, Minced Rosemary and Thyme
Seasoning: Rock Salt and Fresh Cracked Pepper
Method: Grilled
Doneness: Medium Rare

...Perfect every time

As I age, I find myself liking it cooked a little more (still preferring thick steaks!)...I am now up to medium rare...

I prep my steak WAYYY more than you guys...

Marinate it in a mix of olive oil, rice wine vinegar, a dash of basalmic vinegar, a couple tbsp of minced garlic and a goodly shot of Worcestshire (if I'm BBQ'ing I'll stir in a shot or two of hickory BBQ sauce)(and I prefer mesquite chips for smoke, with beef)

The fresh cracked pepper burns, so I put it on as I take the meat off...prefer Kosher Salrt to Sea Salt, but put that on as it goes on the grill...

Quartered Vidalia onion on skewers, sprayed with olive oil and frosted with seasoning salt, then broiled or BBQ'd alongside the steak...

Washed, de-stemmed and thinly sliced mushrooms, gently and slowly sauteed with olive oil, minced garlic, soya sauce and worcestshire

Fresh washed skinny asparagus, tossed on the BBQ grill and "painted" with a mix of melted margerine and lemon juice, with the grill hot enough to briefly char them, then pulled off while they still have some "crunch"...

And call me a traditionalist, but I still gotta go with that baked russet potato, sour cream chives and fresh fried bacon bits, perhaps even drizzled with melted cheddar...

When someone asks my husband how would he like his steak cooked his reply is always "yes, please!" He is such a kidder. You all were making me drool with your talk of steak. I am with ironchef though, although my favourite is a rib steak. Yum.

I like mine Pittsburg style - like Kylie - seared fast for a short amount of time - piping hot on the outside but a very cold center. It's actually not cooked enough to start the juices flowing yet.

ironchef - that's how I cook my lamb chops - I like my steaks with a horseradish-type crust on the outside.

One thing I do not like (but my husband does) is steak sauce or any other glop messing up the natural taste of the steak! I like a tiny dash of salt, but that's pretty much it. When I eat prime rib, I do like to dip it in the au jus (sp?) or occasionally in a little horse radish sauce, but mostly I like the taste of the meat. Especially if it has been cooked on the BBQ grill.

:) Barbara

ironchef said:
My favorite steak...

Marinade: Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Fresh Crushed Garlic, Minced Rosemary and Thyme

...Perfect every time

I'll have to put in my vote for a pan-seared pin bone sirloin. More natural flavor than a ribeye, and has a nice big hunk of tenderloin in it.

A rib-eye, rib roast, rib steak etc. has significantly more marbling than ANY cut of steak, making it more flavorful, especially more than any steak cut from the sirloin section. A steak cut from the sirloin section (as opposed to the SHORT loin section which gives you t-bones, porterhouses, and filet migons) may at times be a bit more tender than a cut from the rib portion, but because sirloin steaks are significantly more lean, they will definitely not have as much flavor.

Not to say that there is anything wrong with liking a sirloin, or any other cut that is not from or near the rib portion because to each his own, and if everyone only ate rib-eyes, than that would be a lot of beef going to waste.

LMJ said:
ironchef said:
My favorite steak...

...Perfect every time

I'll have to put in my vote for a pan-seared pin bone sirloin. More natural flavor than a ribeye, and has a nice big hunk of tenderloin in it.

Its Canada Day on Thursday, and therefor a day with no work, o the BBQ can be brushed up and put into full service, with a pair of really thick T-Bones...

While I expect we all have our "favourite" steaks, and cooking methods, the thread itself is propogating ideas and concepts that create a Win-win all around...

I can surely appreciate a good ribeye steak as several of you suggest. I have a personal prejudice towards T-Bones, Strip Loins and Sirloins, which could be based on upbringing and memory or more simply the cuts placed on retail offer here in Ontario Canada...

Likewise "meat education" is quite a thing...my father in law was a meat inspector, and taught me a thing or three (mind, only of what was on retail offer in the Cdn Prairie!) ...I've had the chance, over the last couple decades to befriend a partner in a fairly major meat packing outfit and heard his explanations, when the USA shut its borders to Cdn beef and we all of a sudden got exposed to cuts that are traditionally sent there (and at really attractive prices! Mr George Dubya demonstrating the "eat Pork or Die" theory at the time, as no Canucks were bothered by the dread Mad Cow thing, which provably came from the States, but I digress)

Anyways, I tend towards strip loins, T-Bones, Porterhouses as I can get the "fat strip" in the right position, and its super tender if you treat it right...

Likewise, for flavour, its hard to beat a sirloin...

It can be easy to get ripped off in paying the big bucks for ribeye, as too many steaks in the tub are possessed of the collagen feature of hard white crud that neither dissolves nor flavours...

Likewise, one must learn to look for this in the other steaks, and the multi-muscle facts of how steers are put together...and find a butcher who hangs the meat for 28 days, as opposed "turning it around" in as little as 14days...or finding the 35 day aged stuff (it shrinks, and they must charge more as occaisioned by shrinkage!)

Was also warned by a really great professional chef, employed by such "packers" about weight vs value of bone in the cut..., and how "supermarkets"buy the least expensive cuts, let it "age" on the shelf, and if you are going to spend the big bucks for a good steak, lets look for these several symptoms that indicate a tough cut rather than a good one...

And a brief speech on the 3500 different grading systems here...with the point of do you really think that milk cows get made into pet food? and how many "Aberdeen Black Angus steers" are on the market at any given time, and so on...

Caveat Emptor...

On the other hand, buying from reputable places, steak remains a premium meal...

Lifter

mignon=mid rare
t bone = med
porter=med
strip = med
top=med
standing rib roast=mid rare
london broil =almost med
center cut mignon=tartar
flank steak=tacos
flat iron=med
turnados=mid rare
ribeye=med
bone in ribeye=mid rare

Regarding the "pittsburg" style (first time I've heard of that), wouldn't you only be able to do this with very thin steaks? Unless it's a tenderloin, if the steak is too thick, the absence of heat wouldn't break down the muscles and connective tissues and would render the steak really chewy. I was just wondering if you could elaborate on this a little more, since I've never had this before, and I'm curious about nuances of this dish. I couldn't see anyone being able do successfully do this with say, a 2" New York steak and be able to actually eat it.

kitchenelf said:
I like mine Pittsburg style - like Kylie - seared fast for a short amount of time - piping hot on the outside but a very cold center. It's actually not cooked enough to start the juices flowing yet.

ironchef - that's how I cook my lamb chops - I like my steaks with a horseradish-type crust on the outside.

I respectfully disagree ironchef. I refer to this dialogue between cattle rancher Mel Coleman (Coleman Natural Products president and founder) and Alton Brown:

Mel Coleman: Now, when you quarter an animal, you quarter it right through there so all of this front part is a little fattier than from here back.
Alton Brown: That doesn't necessarily mean it tastes better, though, right?
MC: I don't think so because a lot of the taste comes from a steak that's very lean like the sirloin.
AB: Okay.
MC: Uh, juicer steak, because it has more fat and marbling, comes from the rib eye.
AB: Okay. All right. So, basically your better steaks in the middle of the animal on the back.
MC: Yeah. Yeah. Up toward the back.

Honestly, a ribeye, t-bone, Porterhouse, or a pin bone sirloin are all magnificent steaks. But I do believe that a pin bone sirloin is going to end up a little dryer, but a little more flavorful than steaks from the other end. I won't defend steaks from further back in the sirloin as being in the same class, of course... Though they are certainly delicious, and a tremendous bargain for their quality.

I probably like the pin bone sirloin best, at least in part, because a prime-grade sirloin doesn't send me into the price-induced panic attack that rib and loin cuts do. I guess I'm hardly objective. 8)

Back
Top Bottom