If you can't buy pizza dough at your pizzeria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
Back in New Jersey, it was a reasonable request to go into a pizzaria and ask to buy a ball of dough to make your own pizza at home. I've asked around here, but they all act like I'm nuts or something. So, I've given up actually buying the dough (which was oh, so wonderfully convenient). As I said in another thread, I'm not a breadmaker, but I'd give my right arm for a TNT very light, very flaky pizza dough recipe if anyone has one. I'd like one that is authentic Italian... if you've been to Italy, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Pizza Dough

Pizza Dough (make this dough the day before you need it)

In a bowl place: 1 C Bread Flour
1 t yeast
2 T sugar
1 t salt

Mix with a spoon. Add 3/4 c warm water, 1 T oil
then add 1 more cup of bread flour.

Mix with a spoon to make a dough, Knead on a floured
counter until soft and smooth.
Place in a oiled plastic bag in the
refrigerator overnight. Put in a pizza pan. Top with
1 cup pizza sauce, 2 cups mozzarella cheese
and pepperoni. Bake at 450 until golden brown.

I put my cheese on first, then use a squeeze bottle
to put on the sauce, then the pepperoni. The cheese
holds the sauce and meat on the pizza. I also microwave
the pepperoni on paper towels to get rid of some of the
grease. I use this recipe in my Foods I class at school. Hope
you enjoy!!!

I'm not a breadmaker either, Velochic, but I can make pizza dough...or used to, anyway. I used the same recipe as Barb, except I used my Kitchen Aid to mix it up and knead the dough for a while, then I turned it out and finished kneading by hand.
Your story reminds me of something similar that I ran into years ago. When I lived in Southern Louisiana, one could go to the bakery and get a ball of bread dough. We'd bring it home, cut it in chunks, fry in hot oil and roll in powdered sugar. When I moved back to Illinois, I tried that, and the bakers looked at me as if I were nuts.

Last edited:
Try you local grocery store, in the freezer section, next to the frozen bread dough. I just saw some today, but I haven't tried any of it.

Allen reminded me of something I did years ago and may have to try again. I apologize if this is getting off topic but I used to buy the Pillsbury-type croissant canisters. Avoid eye injury when the package bursts, roll out the dough and then place the dough in oven-safe bowls. Fill with pizza sauce and your favorite toppings, top with mozzarella and bake at 425 for 10-15 minutes. Kinda like a personal pan pizza!

I posted a TNT pizza recipe some time ago... This is directly from my partner Cristiano, a born Roman, who makes the best pizza I have ever tasted...

If you are in a hurry or not inspired enough to wrestle with a dough, dressing up a focaccia, which should be available in shops or bakers, with your favourite topping and grilling it in the oven will give you a surprisingly satisfying result!!

cara said:
hmm... you could also try frozen puff pastry... tastes a bit different, but I like it....
I love that too Cara! It does taste a bit different, but the crust usually turns out as light as a feather.

DH likes a thin crust best (I love all crusts :LOL:), and I find that rolling the dough very thin and baking it as hot as our little oven will get, on/in a pizza pan (the type with cut-out wholes) helps to ensure a crispy crust.

Back
Top Bottom