Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Beef (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Beef Bourguignon (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/beef-bourguignon-17969.html)

QSis 12-03-2005 08:28 PM

Well, Beef BOURGUIGNON (I can never spell it, so I have to copy and paste) is very impressive and delicious, and goes a long way, if you serve it over wide noodles, or rice, or in bowls with a great "sopping bread" and a tossed salad on the side.

Here's a simple, but long-cooking, recipe I've made. You cook it so long that the inexpensive cut of meat turns out to melt in your mouth.

Lee

Title: BEOUF BOURGUIGNON (RED WINE BEEF STEW)
Categories: Main dish, Beverages
Yield: 5 servings

2 lb Beef rolled rump roast*
1/4 c All-purpose flour
2 tb Olive oil
2 tb Vegetable oil
1 Clove garlic
1 1/4 c Dry red wine
1 1/2 c Water
1/2 Small bay leaf
1 1/4 ts Salt
2 Sprigs parsley
3 Slices bacon,diced
18 Small white onions
3 tb Tomato paste
1/2 ts Dried thyme leaves 1
/4 ts Ground pepper
2 tb Butter or margarine
18 Small mushroom caps

Heat oven to 325'. Coat beef cubes with flour. Heat oil in Dutch oven. Brown beef cubes in hot oil. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Remove garlic and fat. Add wine and enough water to just cover the meat. Stir in bay leaf, salt and parsley. Cover and bake 2 hours.

Fry bacon just until lump. Add onions; cook until light brown. Stir bacon and onions into beef cube mixture. Cover and bake until beef cubes are tender, about 40 minutes.

Alix 11-10-2008 02:59 PM

Going to give this a go tonight I think. I decided we needed beef not chicken tonight. So here goes!

Is the bacon a necessity or can I use something else? I've got some ham I'd like to use up.

QSis 11-10-2008 03:04 PM

Hi Alix! Even though I'm a bacon fanatic, I consider it optional for this dish. I've made other recipes that don't include bacon.

Not sure I'd put in the ham, though. I'd make ham-pickle-onion salad out of it instead! Or mac and cheese with ham. Tough choice. :smile:

Lee

Andy M. 11-10-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alix (Post 722082)
Going to give this a go tonight I think. I decided we needed beef not chicken tonight. So here goes!

Is the bacon a necessity or can I use something else? I've got some ham I'd like to use up.

I think earlier versions of this classic called for salt pork to render fat to brown the meat in. You can get by with no pork fat at all. Just use oil.

Alix 11-10-2008 03:06 PM

Gotcha. I'm going to give it a go. Thanks!

Bigjim68 11-10-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alix (Post 722082)

I would leave the ham out of the stew and serve this dish with a simple salad and use the ham there. These, along with a good crusty bread, makes a meal. Rolled rump roast is pretty lean, the bacon is probably there to add a little fat.

AllenOK 11-12-2008 10:22 AM

About this time last year, we had A LOT of mushrooms that needed to be used up before they went bad on us. I just popped "Bourguinon" off the top of my head to my Chef. He told me to run with it.

I didn't flour the beef (I never do). I just browned well, added some diced onions and the mushrooms along with some garlic, fresh thyme, and fresh rosemary. Once those were smelling wonderful, I deglazed with red wine, then added beef stock. I simmered for about an hour, then tightened with roux.

It was a hit! I ended up selling out. It started as an appetizer, but after the first day, members were ordering a slightly larger portion, with a healthy scoop of mashed potatoes straight into the center of the stew.

Three weeks later, it went on the menu for the winter.

I'm half expecting it to show up again, now that the weather is turning cruddy.

I've got half a mind to make some here at the house for my family. They'd go nuts over it.

RobsanX 11-12-2008 10:39 AM

That garlic barely makes a cameo appearance... Does he even have a speaking role? :lol:

QSis 11-13-2008 07:42 AM

LOL! Good point, Robsonx!

I copied the recipe as I found it, but as far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as adding ONE clove of garlic.

Lee

AllenOK 11-13-2008 10:00 AM

I hear ya there! The more the merrier!