Pan Haggerty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
My mother's sister married a man from Newcastle, in the North of England. This was a dish she used to make when I was a child and visited her in the darker months of the year. It was a wonderful filling dish, much appreciated after a walk round the countryside outside the city or when the men had come in after watching a football match (that's a European football match!) I've made it since childhood - but I'm not sure whether or not it's a Tyneside dish or common throughout the north of England. All the ingredient amounts are approximate.... In reality, I don't measure anything!

Pan Haggerty

1 oz butter
1 oz sunflower oil
1 - 1.5 lbs peeled and thinly sliced potatoes. Use firm 'main crop' pots like Desiree or Maris Piper so that the potatoes do not render down to a mush!
2 medium onions, sliced thinly
4 oz good mature Cheddar or Wensleydale or Lancashire cheese, grated.

Heat butter and oil in a large heavy-based frying pan. Remove the pan from the heat and put in layers of potatoes, onions and grated cheese ending with a top layer of cheese.

Cover and cook the vegetables gently for about 20-30 minutes, until the potatoes and onions are cooked. Uncover, brown the top of the dish under a hot grill. Serve immediately.

YUM!
clear.gif

Last edited:
Love it! This sounds like something we call scalloped or augratin potatoes.

You're right, Amber it's similar to pommes au gratin, or pommes dauphinois, but no cream or milk in this version.:)

Oh yum Ishbel! In a round-about way (such as the fact that your tasty looking recipe does not include cream) this reminds me a little of pommes dauphinois, as you mentioned. I'm certainly copying and pasting this recipe, many thanks for sharing it Ishbel :)

I love the name, too - I've also seen it written as panhackelt, but my Uncle's family gave my aunt the recipe and that's what they called it.... Not sure which is correct!

Ishbel, my dad would for years ask for scalloped potatoes and would have a fit when milk or cream was added..He'd insist that this dish had neither..I searched all over for something to fill the bill..And now today I see this recipe of yours..How I wish he were still here so I could try making it for him..I'll make it for my family and mom and for my dad. Thank you.

kadesma

yup, looks good ishbel.

but wasn't that the name of the actor that played grizzly adams on tv? :rolleyes:

Ishbel, my Mom and grandmother made this all the time. They just called it fried spuds with cheese. I do remember this being a fav of my Grandpa's.

buckytom said:
yup, looks good ishbel.

but wasn't that the name of the actor that played grizzly adams on tv? :rolleyes:
hehehe! Thanks buckytom. I needed to giggle.:):)

Back
Top Bottom