Vodka with a surprise ingredient

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I have been drinking vodka martinis lately. Sometime I make them "dirty" as well. I love olives and the addition of the olive brine just really works for me. Well tonight I had enough olives and brine for one drink, but I wanted more than that. I had my one drink and then was trying to decide what I would do for my next. What I like about the dirty martini is the saltiness so I figured maybe I could just add a pinch of salt to some vodka and try that. As I was doing that I saw the MSG sitting on the counter. Why not, I thought. I added a pinch of that as well. Vodka, salt, MSG, and ice into a shaker. I have to tell you that I think I stumbled onto something great. I know it might sound weird, and there are some people out there who will think I ruined a good vodka by doing this, but I am loving it. I am so happy I tried it. The salt works, but the addition of the MSG really makes the drink. Think I am crazy if you want, but try it just once and you will see what I am talking about :chef:

Thanks Sandy. I hope you try it and report back and let me know what you think.

OK, GB.

I love martinis, gin, sorry, a personal preference, but rarely have them.

The problem with the MSG is that I always get congested after ingesting the stuff.

But I guess I will give it a go.

After all, someone has to do it, right?

I like the way you think auntdot!

I love gin, but can't drink a "real" martini. I drink gin and tonics with Bombay Sapphire. I have tried to drink it as a martini, but just cant do it. I will keep trying though :)

GB, you didn't mention vermouth at all - do you skip that entirely?

Also, MSG is pretty salty - have you tried the drink without the salt and just adding the MSG?

Lee

Qsis, I poured the vodka into the shaker with the vermouth in the same room so it was an extremely dry martini. yes I think it would work just fine without the salt. I will try that tonight. I put the smallest pinch of salt in last night, but I think you are right in that it is not needed with the MSG.

Gb

Give you high marks on creativity. I will give it a try, just for you. I really don't use MSG too much but by the way you sound really good. I didn't really bother with the beverage thread too much. Here lately, have gotten interest. Think my life would have passed me by if I didn't at least allow for little spirits. Thanks for response you always pass on. We need more GB'sin the world.

In the Kitchen said:
We need more GB's in the world.
Thanks ITK! That is very sweet of you to say. I think my wifes head would explode if there was more than just one of me though :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :-p

Gb

She doesn't want anyone to know what she has. Wants you all to herself. Keep on loving each other. I keep telling all the other folks in the office when they start picking on each other that they should count their blessings that they have someone who picks on them. Makes them stop and also makes them wonder who I think I am! Got no right talking to my elders like that. Guess they figure I should mind my own business. Anyway take good care of one another. I know you do!!

Back
Top Bottom