French Onion Soup Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
SizzlininIN said:
pds and kads.....care to share your french onion soup recipe?
Sure Siz, most of the time I use chicken stock,but beef stock is really what the traditional french onion soup calls for.
here goes
3-4 Tab. butter
1-2 Tab. evoo
about 8 cups sliced yellow onions
1/2 tea. sugar, this helps the onions carmalize and get a rich dark brown
1/2 tea. salt
2-tab. flour
2-1/2 quarts beef stock ( I warm it before adding to onions)
1-c. vermouth (dry)
4-5 tab. brandy (optional)
In a large stock pot, add your onions to the butter and evoo, I don't use a high heat just a med, I then cover the pan for about 10 min. After that I blend in the salt, and sugar a rasie the heat slightly to a moderate high and let the onions brown, If I can't stand about the kitchen, I keep the heat med. and stir every so often so nothing sticks or starts to burn..I stir often over about 40 minutes time, by then you shoud have nice rich brown onions. About the color of a walnut shell. Sprinkle on the flour and cook slowly about 3-4 min. Take the pot off the heat, let sit about 2 min. then whisk in about 2 cups of the hot stock, after blending bring to a simmer and add the rest of the stock, and the vermouth, at this point if you want you can add 4-5 Tab. of a good brandy, I cover with the lid ajar and simmer very slowly for about 1-1/2 hours.
I usually serve with the slice of toasted baguette and slice of cheese on top and a sprinkle of parm then put under the broiler to melt the cheese..Or you can just serve it with french bread and put out bowls of grated swiss and some parmesan..This seems like a lot of work, but it's my favorit soup and I make it often...If the volum of stock seems to be not enough you can add extra stock or even a little water...
Enjoy Siz
kadesma:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom