Sushi dip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
Besides soy, what is good for the California rolls and Phillidelphia rolls?
One will be cream cheese and smoked salmon, the other will be, crab and avacado.

What is pickled ginger and what do you do with it?

Last edited:
Pickled ginger are thin slices of ginger that are...well...pickled :) (sorry I don't really mean to be a wise guy lol). It is used to clean the pallet between different types of sushi. So you would eat a few pieces if you just ate some California rolls and now you wanted to switch to Phillidelphia rolls. Of course you do not NEED to do this, but that is basically the reason behind the ginger.

As for other sauces, I know this is not a sauce, but wasabi paste goes great with sushi if you like a little bit of heat. You can buy it as a paste in a tube or you can buy it powdered and you just need to add water. Keep in mind that you will not find "real" wasabi and 99 out of 100 times you will not find the real stuff in restaurants here either. The real stuff is extremely rare and expensive and is different in taste to the wasabi that you will find in the supermarket which I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) is actually horseradish with some sort of coloring. Don't be disappointed in not having the real stuff though. I heard this said once that it is kind of like the difference between turtles that you buy in the candy shop and turtles you find in the swamp. While the candy shop version is not the "real" turtle, it probably is the one you would prefer to eat :chef:

Oh I also meant to say you could try some Ponzu sauce in addition to just regular soy sauce. Ponzu is citrus infused soy sauce.

Okay. Thanks GB. I don't think I'll worry over the ginger. But, I will go find the wasabi. I got my stuff in today and I'm ready to get going on it Sunday.

Yeah the ginger certainly is not necessary, but if you happen to see it in the supermarket (in the Asian section of course) pick it up. It is tasty stuff and lasts forever.

where's iron chef? he's the asian sauce / seafood expert 'round here.

i just saw a thing on tv about the "proper" (whatever tastes good to you is proper imo, so don't get all bent out of shape) way to eat sushi and sashimi. for nigiri sushi (bite size pieces of fish on vinegared rice, the most common), you are supposed to eat it by holding it with your fingers, not chopsticks, and if you must, you may dip the fish portion only in straight soy sauce. don't soak up the soy sauce in the rice, and don't add wasabi to it. the chef has already put wasabi between the fish and rice, when appropriate.
also, eat the whole piece of sushi in one bite. don't try to bite in half, and leave a mangled piece on the plate.

of course, gunkan (a nori "boat" with rice on the bottom and fish such as roe/eggs filling the top), maki (roll), and temaki (hand rolled like a corucopia) sushi should be eaten by hand, and not dipped as well.

for sashimi and chirashi sushi (sashimi scattered over a box or bowl of rice), use chopsticks, and mix wasabi into the soy sauce to taste. dip the fish sparingly in the soy/wasabi mix. again, eat the whole piece. eat the accompanying bowl or box of rice to cleanse the palate, but don't hold the bowl to your mouth and shovel, unless godzilla is attacking and you're really hungry. it's sticky rice, so you can eat it easily in clumps with your chopsticks. it is, however, ok to eat soup by picking out the larger pieces with chopsticks, and drinking the soup from the bowl.

as far as other sauces; there are tons of japanese and korean sauces, but i've never had them offered with sushi, and i've eaten sushi in dozens of places, literally thousands of times.

that said, my wife likes to dip sushi in the sauces, mostly soy based, often sweet, that come with appetizers such as shu mai and negimaki.

hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
To add to the great info from Buckytom, when you place the sushi in your mouth, the fish should be the first thing to hit your tongue. It is the fish you want to taste first, not the rice.

BT pretty much nailed most of it.

Another good sauce that would work with a lot of sushi is kabayaki. It's the same sauce that goes with the unagi. You can buy a bottled version. Sweet Thai Chili sauce also works good.

Wow, thanks BT. I didn't know I was going to get an etiquette lesson:mrgreen: :-p
I appreciate the info! I've only eaten sushi twice and that was a few years back, and couldn't remember what it was that was on the little plate they brought. It was a small hole in the wall place, nothing like Benihanas or anything, or I probably wouldn't have gotten sauces. Can't wait til tomorrow:) .

Here is a page on sushi etiquette. I used to have a much better page saved, but I seem to have misplaced it. This page will give general info though.

GB said:
...wasabi paste goes great with sushi if you like a little bit of heat. You can buy it as a paste in a tube or you can buy it powdered and you just need to add water. Keep in mind that you will not find "real" wasabi and 99 out of 100 times you will not find the real stuff in restaurants here either. The real stuff is extremely rare and expensive and is different in taste to the wasabi that you will find in the supermarket which I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) is actually horseradish with some sort of coloring...

I asked my husband about the wasabi they had in Japan when he was stationed there and he said there is a difference. The real stuff is grainier (like fresh grated horseradish) and when you mix it with soy, it's not as watery. It's also hotter than the stuff here. As far as taste, he says there is little taste difference except the heat and with color, it's not as bright green as what is served here.

Just a little more info to add to the mix ... Also, I know the ginger is a palate cleanser, but it's also tastey folded on top of California rolls and eaten in the bite.
Good luck Texasgirl! I admire anyone who is brave enough to try this at home. Maybe some day I'll get the nerve - let us know how it goes!

(edited for spelling)

Gb

Thanks for that link! I love sushi and eat it at least once a week.... I learned a few things from that link and can't wait to try a few on my next visit. Texasgirl.... there is a sauce I get at a sushi bar that I frequent... it is a mustard sauce of some sort made with peanuts or peanut oil, it is very distinct flavor and goes great with most sushi dishes. I order it as hibachi (sp?) mustard and I am sure someone here on the forum knows the exact name for it. Nice contrast for those folks looking for variety.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom