Pot Stickers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomW

Senior Cook
Since I have had pot stickers in both a Korean restaurant, and a Chinese take-out place, I do not know who originated them. :( But I do know that I enjoy them! :) So much that I tried my hand at making them the other evening. I was very happy with the end result, and will definitely make them again. :chef:

It was a lot of work to roll the wontons & all. Does anyone else routinely make pot stickers?

Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• PotStickers.JPG
    PotStickers.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 238
We usually just buy them frozen at Costco.

But would be glad to give them a try.

Would love it if you could post your recipe.

auntdot said:
... Would love it if you could post your recipe.
Well, like most new cooking adventures, I started with an Internet search, and stopped with this link. Those are Teri's notes pictured in the opening post.

Having a particular flavor in mind, I substituted Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage for the pork, and regular cabbage for the Napa (because the grocer was out of Napa). After failing to locate either rice wine or dry sherry (time for a new grocer :glare:), the item was omitted.

I was struck by the "that's the flavor I like" sensation in the final product that was obviously a result of the cabbage.

While I am sure some purists may take exception to my use of "flavored pork", this is a dish worth repeating.

Tom

I make potstickers by the gross and everyone loves them! The dough is a real bear to roll out because it is so stiff (just flour, salt and boiling water) so I put it together in the food-processor and use my pasta machine - between the two there is no hand-kneading time. They freeze wonderfully - freeze individually on sheets then I put them in Seal-a-meal bags. One afternoon of work yields many many dinners.

You can use wanton wrappers but they are more difficult to seal up than your own dough.

Here's my filling recipe:

1 1/4 lbs boneless lean pork, minced
2 T soy sauce
1 T honey
2 cloves garlic, minced fine
1/3 C minced green onion
1 T oil
2 T cornstarch
2 T dry sherry
salt and pepper.

Stir together pork, soy, honey, garlic, and onion. Heat oil in a wide fying pan over high heat. Add pork mixture and cook, stirring, untill well browned (6 to 8 minutes) Blend cornstarch and sherry then stir into pork. Cook, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool

The filling recipe can be doubled or tripled.

Happy dipping!

Oh, excellent! I have all the ingredients for Tom's except the napa cabbage, which is readily available in my area.

I will add green onions, as I've always had potstickers with them.

Cool!

Lee

Is there a difference between these 3? If so, what? I think that Chinese Dumplings like you get in a Chinese restaurant have a much thicker dough & a little ball of meat or whatever in the middle. Pot stickers & Gyoza seem to have a thinner dough. That's all I can find in the stores. I prefer the thicker "skinned" Chinese dumplings.

Pot Stickers
Chinese Dumplings
Gyoza

Here's a gyosa recipe given me by Japanese friends:

GYOSA

1tsp. salt
1 cup finely chopped cabbage
1 slice minced ginger
2 minced scallions
3T soy sauce
1T cornstarch
1T sake
½ lb. ground beef & ½ pound ground pork OR 1 lb. minced shrimp, crab, or fish or a mixture of these.

MIx all filling ingredients together, fill wrappers, seal edges with water. In skillet, heat oil to hot, place in gyosa; brown on one side; add a little water, and cover immediately; steam 5 minutes for seafood or 10 minutes for meat on low heat. Remove cover and cook til liquid is gone; shake pan so gyosa don't stick. Serve with Ponzu sauce.

The Chinese potstickers are traditinally made with a thicker dough than either gyoza (Japanese) or Korean (Mandu) dumplings.

Dove, we used to find them regularly in the frozen food area.

The brand I believe is LingLing.

We follow the directions which is to boil and then, if you wish, saute them.

We like them fried.

Used to buy them in Florida when we lived there and now get them in Virginia. I assume they are available everywhere, but have not purchased them recently.

Why? Do not know, too many recipes in the world and we can just eat so much.

Wish there were more than the two of us to feed, we really like to cook.

We feel sorta humbled cause it seems that everyone else here makes their own.

But if Costco still sells it you might want to give it a try.

God bless.

Costco's are good but not as good as home made IMHO but then I get my fingers into dough every chance I get! lol

But what I didn't say was

Tomw said:
... I was struck by the "that's the flavor I like" sensation in the final product ...
My wife and preschoolers were not as enamoured of the meal as I was. Additionally, my fatherly, "Mike Brady"-type speech about the importance of trying new things also fell on deaf ears. :rolleyes:

I could just move on with a "Fine - more for me" sentiment, but have now decided that maybe my 'flavored pork' version does not have crowd appeal. Perhaps the Boyz' favorite food (when in nugget form) can come to the rescue. :chicken:

Does anyone have comments on this Internet recipe? For convenience, I was thinking about using canned chicken. But, having never used canned chicken before worry that everyone will take one nibble, and spit it out with a "What poison did you put in this? Canned chicken?!?" look on their collective faces. :unsure:

Does anyone have guidance for Chicken Pot Stickers?

Thanks,
Tom

Avoid canned chicken. Canned chicken is cooked (and it's awful).

You need raw ground chicken which you can buy at the supermarket.

Thanks Andy M.,

Unfortunately, although I may have overlooked it, the grocery stores around here only appear to carry ground turkey which is a substitution I am not ready to make. What is a good way to grind chicken at home short of having a genuine meat grinder?

Would partially frozen chicken breasts pulsed in a food processor do the trick?

Tom

Tomw said:
...Would partially frozen chicken breasts pulsed in a food processor do the trick? Tom

Ask the meat manager for ground chicken. I often ask for stuff I don't see and the meat manager will go get it.

The food processor will also work. No need to freeze first.

marmalady said:
Here's a gyosa recipe given me by Japanese friends:

GYOSA

1tsp. salt
1 cup finely chopped cabbage
1 slice minced ginger
2 minced scallions
3T soy sauce
1T cornstarch
1T sake
½ lb. ground beef & ½ pound ground pork OR 1 lb. minced shrimp, crab, or fish or a mixture of these.

MIx all filling ingredients together, fill wrappers, seal edges with water. In skillet, heat oil to hot, place in gyosa; brown on one side; add a little water, and cover immediately; steam 5 minutes for seafood or 10 minutes for meat on low heat. Remove cover and cook til liquid is gone; shake pan so gyosa don't stick. Serve with Ponzu sauce.

The Chinese potstickers are traditinally made with a thicker dough than either gyoza (Japanese) or Korean (Mandu) dumplings.

Thank you, thank you, Marmalady! This is very close to a very old recipe I like made with pork, except I haven't tried adding sake and usually make them with won ton skins. Will have to try this.

Tom, if I missed you walking thru the door, Welcome to DC.

I don't make dumplings/won tons, etc. very often, but they are one of my favorites on the planet. I use a little plastic device (put the won ton skin in, add filling, press and seal. I have bought the frozen Ling Ling brand, and IMO, they are gummy. When I do make them, I make them in big batches; and either steam, boil, or fry.

Rangoon or a seafood/shrimp filling is another fave. I have read recipes using (GASP) spam...never tried it. Even ground beef, cream cheese and chives can be another idea to experiment with. Ground chicken or turkey -- not one o my favorites. Guess it's a matter of taste. BTW, the pics look good.

Korean dumplings, called mandoo, are a lot different than Chinese potstickers. They are on the menu a lot at my house.

Most asian cusines boast some form of fried or steamed dumpling, but they are all different ... and tasty in their own way, IMO.

I recently had some tasty mandoo at Mandoobar in NYC

That actually looks like a pretty good recipe, but do not use canned chicken. I'd probably add some other asian vegetables like black mushrooms, bamboo shoots preserved turnip/radish and bean sprouts, but that would not be necessary.

Prepared sweet and sour sauce is not the correct condiment to serve with them though. That would be a soy sauce/sesame oil/black vinegar-based sauce.

Last edited:
Mish,

Will get the recipe for you, but it probably won't have exact measurements.

My favorite chinese dumpling is a Shanghai soup dumpling. To make them, you enclose a cube of gellied broth, then stema them. When you eat them, a soup spoon full of soup squirts out.

Just a comment. ^4 years ago my uncle had a chinese american restaurant in Mass. Hired the best chinese cook he could find in Boston. This individual had his own stove brought from China and made egg rolls from scratch for each order. They were made with shrimp, lobster, bean sprouts and i don't know what else though i watched him make them. They were unbelievably good. My aunt unintentionally insulted him and he left in a huff. After I grew up i spent many years trying to duplicate his egg rolls and tried them in hundreds of restaurants without success. In my opinion the egg rolls now served in most chinese restauants are a disgrace.
Ido make egg rolls and potstickers myself which we enjoy very much. But i'd sell my soul to just taste one like the master made.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom