From scratch or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

auntdot

Head Chef
I hope I did this right, I never post. Apologies if I screwed it up.

But there are two things I have slaved over and now just buy.

One is red cabbage, now just buy it in the jar, and the other is pumpkin pie mix which I purchase in the can.

I see little difference between the stuff I used to work for hours to make and the products I can buy in the store.

Would like to know if people think the homemade version of either of these is worth the effort.

And are there any other foods that you think are not worth preparing because the store bought version is about as good, equal to, or better than, the product you make at home?

Edited for the question mark.

I say go for the canned pumpkin pie mix.

For me I tried making hummus a few times. It came out very good, but no better than most of the store bought kind which I can easily doctor up if needed. It is not worth the effort for me to make it when the store bought is very good to begin with.

I think if you can find a brand that is as good or almost and there isn't a problem with preservatives, etc, go for it. Now that my children are gone, I don't like reinventing the wheel each time we have a meal. Some things I make a good bit of and we have leftovers. Some things I start with a good mix, or a frozen version at least in part. We still eat a lot of fresh stuff, but I don't fret if we don't get it every meal. Cut yourself some slack and enjoy what you cook, whether from scratch or with a head start. The things I am taking to the tea tomorrow are a good example of some of the changes I've made. Since I'm going to the gym 3 days a week and Curves 3 days a week, I don't have time to start at the beginning on everything. For the petit fours, I'm using a bought pound cake, apricot preserves and frosting. I bought the mini eclairs, frozen. I did get fresh fruit for the tray. I don't feel bad about it at all. We will have a great time and I didn't have to run myself ragged to do it.

Last edited:
recently for me, yogurt. I love plain yogurt without the fruit and extra sugar. I saw an episode of Martha where she made it homemade. It looked so easy so I gave it a shot. Ok, disaster! It never set up. I tried twice. Since what I really prefer is Greek style yogurt, I just buy the organic stuff from a whole foods market. Now, if anyone can tell me how to pull off this homemade yogurt business without having to buy another machine, I am ALL EARS!!! Until then....just easier to buy it made!

I couldn't live without "Aunt Nellie's Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage"! Sear 4 or 5 country style pork ribs (or pork chops), toss in a jar of red cabbage and a little water or apple juice, lower the heat, slap on a lid, let braise for about 30-mins. Also works with jarred (never canned) sauerkraut - something else I'm not going to waste the time making from scratch.

I have always used canned pumpkin pie filling - although I'm more likely to make a sweet potato pie. But this year my DIL make a pumpkin pie from scratch from pumpkins they had grown. It had a slightly different texture, was more yellow than orange, and had more of a winter squash flavor than just cinnamon and nutmeg. Humm ... the canned stuff comes "pre-seasoned" so from scratch might be worth the effort here if I can get my DIL's recipe.

Spinach - unless I'm using it for a salad, I buy it frozen. Does that count?

I would NEVER try to make phyllo dough! Same for "puff pastry" dough 99% of the time.

Last edited:
I always buy the One Pie brand of canned pumpkin. I figure you can't go wrong when the only ingredient listed is pumpkin.

I also don't make my own sauerkraut. I use bottled salad dressings some of the time.

There is a Pennsylvania Dutch Pumpkin Pie recipe that really needs fresh pumpkin...flavored with butter, lemon, and the natural pumpkin. So you don't want a canned item there, but other spicey pies I see no reason not to go with the canned.

Frozen SPinach is another for so many recipes.

I do like to gently saute fresh cabbage, but if were cooking it with chops or sausage in the oven and highly flavoring it with meat, I see no reson not to go with the jar.

THe pilsbury ready crust is a great time saver etc, but it doesn't taste like home made crust. But in a pinch, better than nothing , and certainly edible. So is frozen puff pastry!

I notice a few posters to this thread mention pie crusts...

Pastry dough is easily made in quantity and can be frozen for future use. If you settle on a good, all-purpose recipe, the pastry dough can be used for sweet or savory pies. (Examples of savory pies could be a quiche or a chicken pot pie).

Frankly, doughs for many purposes freeze well. In addition to pastry dough, I would include in this list yeast-rising bread dough and pasta dough.

I routinely make and freeze pastry, bread and pasta dough in quantity and freeze them for future use.

It seems a shame that the practice and art of making dough is fast becoming a vanishing skill.

Last edited:
ok, this is a reverse answer, but i cannot stand any canned beef stock, broth, or gravy. chicken is ok, but for some reason beef products that are canned taste like plastic and preservatives to me.

auntdot, you need to come home to joisey and i'll get you some of the best red cabbage slaw/salad you've ever had (i'm assuming you meant shredded and pickled red cabbage). it's a german/eastern european thing. as italians get aggida over jarred sauces, poles/slovaks will get off their dupas to make a good pickled red cabbage. the debate remains however; serve it cold or hot.

so long as your name isn't walter, jkath.

then you'd be the pole, valter. (poles pronounce w's as v's) :)

Well, we're pretty much a "whole foods" family, so I basically make everything from scratch. Dd (4 yo) is very sensitive to additives in foods, so I keep a close eye on labels. My basic philosophy is to make things from scratch. Those items that are preservative, dye, additive free that are as good as or better than homemade (pumpkin pie filling in the US, for example), I'll use. In German grocery stores, there is an whole aisle (think smaller aisle than in the US, not one of those mile-long aisles in Kroger or Winn-Dixie) devoted to dried sauce mixes in an envelope. Ick! Can you say MSG? :LOL: I'd rather make mine from scratch, thank you very much!!

ETA: Oh, now I think I've forgotten... is there a difference in the pumkin pie FILLING and actual PUREED PUMPKIN in a tin? Does that make a difference?

I prefer making my own of most stuff, including pumpkin pie filling. Two things that come to my mind right now that I would just buy rather than going through the hassle of making are puff pastry sheets and cream puff shells...

subfuscpersona said:
I notice a few posters to this thread mention pie crusts...

Pastry dough is easily made in quantity and can be frozen for future use. If you settle on a good, all-purpose recipe, the pastry dough can be used for sweet or savory pies. (Examples of savory pies could be a quiche or a chicken pot pie).

Frankly, doughs for many purposes freeze well. In addition to pastry dough, I would include in this list yeast-rising bread dough and pasta dough.

I routinely make and freeze pastry, bread and pasta dough in quantity and freeze them for future use.

It seems a shame that the practice and art of making dough is fast becoming a vanishing skill.

Following is a great recipe for piecrust...it's tender, flakey, and beautiful.

Aunt Dorothy's Freezer Pie Crust

3-1/2 cups water
small hand of salt
1/3 cup sugar
5 lb flour
3 lb butter flavor Crisco

Mix flour, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening. Mix in water. The dough will seem kinda gooey, but don't worry. Roll in 24 balls and wrap each with seran wrap. Freeze in large ziplock bags. Thaw one ball for each crust needed, (about 1 hour).
Roll out on floured pastry cloth and proceed as usual.

You can re-freeze them if you change your mind, or put in the fridge for later. They will last indefinately in the freezer.

Red cabbage, IMO, is very easy and involves no slaving, so I always make that myself and I do think it's alot better than a jar. I shred the cabbage with the food processor, set it on the stove to braise and that's it.

I'm totally with you on punkin!!

I use canned beans, stock bases, some good canned sauces.

I don't cook with canned soup but I eat it.

I use prepared demiglaces sometimes.

One is red cabbage, now just buy it in the jar, and the other is pumpkin pie mix which I purchase in the can.

You can't get canned pumpkin in Ireland so I was going to the hassle of making my own too...Then both my grandma and my mom (seperately) told me that you can just prep and cube the pumpkin and cook it in the microwave in something like a Pyrex casserole dish. It takes about 1/4 the time and works awesomely!

I never make tomato sauce from scratch. I know it tastes better etc. but jI am just not into the whole sterilizing, preserving thing. I would rather buy good quality canned ones.

On the other hand I dont like to use any other canned veggie product. I use frozen ones but not canned. The slimy liquid is a huge turn-off for me. The same with beans. It's easy for me to cook them at home in my pressure cooker so I do it from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom