TNT Apple Frangipane Galette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
Dh is addicted to these. You can make the dough 4 days ahead or freeze it for up to two months. If you decide to make these without the frangipane (an almond cream) toss the apples in a TBS flour to absord some of the moisture. This recipe will make 2 11-inch galettes or 8 individual galettes.

Galette Dough
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp salt
16 TBS (2 sticks) butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces, chilled
4-5 oz ice water

In large bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Cut in butter using standing mixer, food processor, or pastry blender until butter is evenly distributed but still in large visible pieces. Add 4 oz water to butter mixture until just comes together, add more water if dough is too dry. Should be a bit stickier than pie dough. Gather dough with your hands, you should see streaks of butter, and flatten into two disks, wrap in plastic and refridgerate for an hour.

Frangipane
5 oz almond paste (in baking section of most grocery stores)
1/4 cup sugar
4 TBS (1/2 stick) butter at room temp
1 TBS vanilla
1 large egg at room temp

With electric mixer, combine almond paste, sugar and butter. Beat well, make sure there are no lumps. Add vanilla and egg, beat until smooth.

To Assemble Galette
6-8 granny smith apples (depending on size)
2 TBS sugar
1 egg, beaten
Galette dough
Frangipane

Place oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 400F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil or parchment paper. On lightly floured surface roll out 1 disk of dough into a 15 inch round, stick it back in the fridge and roll out the other For 8 individual galettes cut each disk into quarters and roll out dough thinly. Peel and slice apples. Smear frangipane over dough leaving a two inch border 1 inch for individuals. Arrange apples over frangipane in concentric circles, overlapping the apples. Lift edges of dough and fold them inwards, pleating as you go. Brush border with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until crust has browned about 30-35 minutes or 17-20 for individuals. Let cool 5 minutes before sliding foil onto cooling rack. Cool 20 minutes before serving, serve warm.

*Couple side notes
These are great when they are fresh! I make about 4 individuals at a time. I make a bunch of dough and frangipane so all I have to do is bring the frangipane out to come to room temp while I slice the apples and then assemble them. Like I said, dh loves them so I make them a few times a week. He told me while he was eating one today he knows what it's like to be in heaven.:mrgreen: I'll post a picture when dh brings the camera home from work.

Last edited:
here are some photos I took this morning

Attachments

• galette2.jpg
    galette2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 314
  • galette1.jpg
    galette1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 320
corazon90 said:
Come on over anytime! Though you'll have to wait until I buy a few more apples, dh is so sad that we ran out. I'll have some later today!
Thanks Cora :) If I'm ever in Bellingham, you will have a dinner and dessert guest (or 2) for sure (it's not all that unlikely, as most of my family lives in BC).

Cora,
these look beautiful and I bet they taste wonderful..Thanks for sharing the pictures and the recipe...Can hardly wait to try..

kadesma:)

They look fabulous!!

Is almond paste the same thing as marzipan? I have some marzipan left over from Christmas...

I just now saw the pics in the member's photos. This looks so good!! I wonder if anyone would like it in my house. I'll have to try it and see!! I've never used almond paste, hopefully, I'll be able to find it.
I think I need to move!!

Almond paste is actually pretty easy to find. They usually keep it next to the marzipan in the baking isle. Standard grocery stores usually sell an expensive paste in a tube or a cheaper one in a can, get the canned. I find the tubed on is drier and tends to not disribute well, it clumps up a bit, forming almost little almond paste rocks. Traditionally the frangipane is made with whole almonds, so there is always that option if you can't find the paste.
Our husbands tend to like the same things, and my husband can't get enough of them!

Found this from food network-
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg, room temp
3/4 cup blanched almonds, finely ground
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon almond-flavored liqueur, like Amaretto
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

Cream the butter & sugar together, then beat in everything else.

Bringing this up for apple season! :)

Wow, Corazon. I'm bringing up the French Apple Cake, too.

I saw the pics and knew that Mr HB would love these.

Wow, well bumped Half Baked! Anything with frangipane gets my thumbs up.

corazon90 said:
Dh is addicted to these. You can make the dough 4 days ahead or freeze it for up to two months. If you decide to make these without the frangipane (an almond cream) toss the apples in a TBS flour to absord some of the moisture. This recipe will make 2 11-inch galettes or 8 individual galettes.

Galette Dough
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp salt
16 TBS (2 sticks) butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces, chilled
4-5 oz ice water

In large bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Cut in butter using standing mixer, food processor, or pastry blender until butter is evenly distributed but still in large visible pieces. Add 4 oz water to butter mixture until just comes together, add more water if dough is too dry. Should be a bit stickier than pie dough. Gather dough with your hands, you should see streaks of butter, and flatten into two disks, wrap in plastic and refridgerate for an hour.

Frangipane
5 oz almond paste (in baking section of most grocery stores)
1/4 cup sugar
4 TBS (1/2 stick) butter at room temp
1 TBS vanilla
1 large egg at room temp

With electric mixer, combine almond paste, sugar and butter. Beat well, make sure there are no lumps. Add vanilla and egg, beat until smooth.

To Assemble Galette
6-8 granny smith apples (depending on size)
2 TBS sugar
1 egg, beaten
Galette dough
Frangipane

Place oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 400F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil or parchment paper. On lightly floured surface roll out 1 disk of dough into a 15 inch round, stick it back in the fridge and roll out the other For 8 individual galettes cut each disk into quarters and roll out dough thinly. Peel and slice apples. Smear frangipane over dough leaving a two inch border 1 inch for individuals. Arrange apples over frangipane in concentric circles, overlapping the apples. Lift edges of dough and fold them inwards, pleating as you go. Brush border with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until crust has browned about 30-35 minutes or 17-20 for individuals. Let cool 5 minutes before sliding foil onto cooling rack. Cool 20 minutes before serving, serve warm.

*Couple side notes
These are great when they are fresh! I make about 4 individuals at a time. I make a bunch of dough and frangipane so all I have to do is bring the frangipane out to come to room temp while I slice the apples and then assemble them. Like I said, dh loves them so I make them a few times a week. He told me while he was eating one today he knows what it's like to be in heaven.:mrgreen: I'll post a picture when dh brings the camera home from work.

I would adore these. My favorite desert is apple pie with a slice of cheddar cheese melting on top. I was going to ask you the dumbest question. I must be "really" tired cause I thought TBS stood for something like, The Best Stuff. Okay, it did dawn on me that it's tablespoon. Gad, night night!:blink:

Find Corazon's pictures...these are beautiful and she was sweet enough to post the pics on DC.

Back
Top Bottom