Meyer Lemon Buttermilk Pudding Cake with Fresh Berries - T & T!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
Yesterday afternoon, I made this dessert. It came out perfectly, and I must say it's one of the easiest desserts I've made. It has the distinct buttermilk tang to it, which marries well with the sweet meyer lemon juice. The top comes out like a springy light cake and the pudding on the bottom is almost custard-like. Very good for serving company, and the presentation is beautiful! They'll never know you didn't slave over it!
(I've put my two cents worth in as well):rolleyes:

MEYER LEMON BUTTERMILK PUDDING CAKE

WITH FRESH BERRIES

1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup sugar, divided
4 large egg yolks
1/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted (I used salted, and it was fine!)
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 large egg whites
Whipping cream (just buy a pint, and use what you want)
Asst berries (I used strawberries in halves, blueberries and blackberries)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish well.

Blenderize until smooth:
1/2 cup sugar
egg yolks
lemon juice
flour, butter
salt

Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry.

Gently fold buttermilk mixture into whites in 3 additions (batter will be runny).

Pour batter into prepared dish. Place dish in roasting pan. Set both into the preheated oven. Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of dish. (your dish will float just a bit) Bake until entire top is evenly browned and cake moves very slightly in center but feels slightly springy to touch, about 45 minutes. (mine was exactly 45)
Remove dish from roasting pan. Cool cake completely in baking dish on rack. (very important!)

Refrigerate until cold, at least 3 hours and up to 6 hours.

Spoon pudding cake out into shallow bowls.
Pour cream around cake. Top with berries. (Actually, I whipped up about 1/3 pint of the cream and added a TBSP of sugar. I placed the berries on top of the dessert, then dolloped the whipped cream on top of that. Much prettier presentation, imo)

licia, of course you can use 'regular' lemons. I believe the Meyers are actually a cross between a lemon and a tangerine, so they are probably a little sweeter, and therefore you may want to cut back a little on the sugar. I'd taste test as you go.

jkath, this sounds quite good.

You wouldn't want to cut back on the sugar to make it sweeter, silly!

If you can't find meyers, you can squeeze a bit of tangarine or orange juice into your lemon juice. I'm sure it would be fine! Or, maybe you could get a little crazy and use a grapefruit instead! (But I'd use a ruby red myself)

Wow, I didn't know that Myers lemons were a hybrid. I love, love them!! They're always more spendy than regular lemons but well worth the extra cost, in my opinion.

And this dessert looks super. I have always loved lemon flavored desserts; the tart tangy taste of lemon with a hint of sweet. Scrumptious!

:heart:
Z

jkath said:
You wouldn't want to cut back on the sugar to make it sweeter, silly!

Did I write that wrong? What I meant was that since Meyer lemons might naturally be sweeter, you might not need as much of the added sugar (the 1 cup).

Can't find Meyer lemons around here, except in prepared stuff like at Wms. Sonoma. Would love to try fresh ones.

ETA: well, guess what I found at Safeway this morning when I asked the produce guy? Color me corrected. I will be making this cake pretty soon (did not get buttermilk today)!

Last edited:
Meyers are easy to spot - they've got a golden appearance, almost like they're blushing orange.

Congrats on your find, mud! I've picked over 300 meyers from our little tree since November. Talk about great lemonade....and limoncello!

Gonna try this cake later today. My husband loves lemon cake, however, I was unable to find Meyer's lemons, so I bought a jumbo lemon and will add some orange juice as you suggested.

Quick question...is the buttermilk suppose to be mixed in with the other blenderized items? I assumed it is, since the eggs whites are beaten together with the sugar, and the "buttermilk" mixed is then added to the egg whites.

Update on this recipe I made today. I used 1 large lemon ( could not find meyer lemons). I used just under 1/3 cup of lemon juice, and then added orange juice as suggested.

Result....the cake turned out perfect, however, it was too sour. I would guess if you cannot find meyer lemons, just use equal parts lemon juice and orange juice for this recipe to equal 1/3 cup total juice.

Back
Top Bottom