Proof you can still enjoy cooking and baking while losing weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spice - your bread is beautiful!

I admit to using my bread machine to bake our bread on Sundays but your recipe seems do-able. I have a KA and stare at that hook thingey every time I pull out the basket wondering "what the heck ... this won't work for chocolate chip cookies!" so have only ever used the paddle or the whisk. One question ... can you freeze your dough or would you suggest baking it off and then freezing the bread? We eat a ton of sandwiches but with only 2 of us, still only through one loaf a week.
Ok, actually 2 questions ... what does the ascorbic acid do?

Again - beautiful work! You are proof that food is truly art!

(edited to add 2nd question - :rolleyes: )

Your bread looks awsome Spice! I jotted down the recipes so I can start baking this week. Although I doubt I will lose weight after eating this bread; it's truly my weakness.

SpiceUmUp said:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Now, forgive my ignorance but where is Bulldog contry?

Bucky, you can come by any time and get a loaf.

Jenny, I think the recipe would work fine if you just formed them in to round loaves and cooked them on a cookie sheet with a little corn meal spread on it to keep the loaves from sticking to the pan.

A little evoo and some fresh craked pepper is actually quite good in my diet as long as I keep it to a minimum: 1 slice of the french bread, and a tbsp of the oil.

No Worries...Bulldog country is Athens, GA, home of the dearly beloved Georgia Bulldogs hailing from University of Georgia. Game day here is celebrated with, well, there really isn't a word for it. Enthusiasm is WAY
to mild. Noone outside the state of Georgia would be expected to know that. Anyway, I can forgive that if you all can forgive me knowing extra virgin olive oil!

Thanks again for the recipe!

oops, make that NOT knowing!

Jenny said:
No Worries...Bulldog country is Athens, GA, home of the dearly beloved Georgia Bulldogs hailing from University of Georgia. Game day here is celebrated with, well, there really isn't a word for it. Enthusiasm is WAY
to mild. Noone outside the state of Georgia would be expected to know that. Anyway, I can forgive that if you all can forgive me knowing extra virgin olive oil!

Thanks again for the recipe!

oops, make that NOT knowing!

A GEORGIA BULLDOG? ARGGGHHHHH and you seemd so nice!

GO TECH

JMediger said:
Spice - your bread is beautiful!

I admit to using my bread machine to bake our bread on Sundays but your recipe seems do-able. I have a KA and stare at that hook thingey every time I pull out the basket wondering "what the heck ... this won't work for chocolate chip cookies!" so have only ever used the paddle or the whisk. One question ... can you freeze your dough or would you suggest baking it off and then freezing the bread? We eat a ton of sandwiches but with only 2 of us, still only through one loaf a week.
Ok, actually 2 questions ... what does the ascorbic acid do?

Again - beautiful work! You are proof that food is truly art!

(edited to add 2nd question - :rolleyes: )

The ascorbic acid turbo charges the yeast, helps give the bread a nice rise.

I have never tried freezing the dough but I freeze my breads all the time.

By the way, this bread makes Great french toast

And there is nothing wrong with using a bread machine. I just like using the KA mixer

Last edited:
what type pans?

I have to go buy some bread pans, because I didn't bring any with me... what do you cook your bread in... metal or glass? Ever heard of a insulated bread pan? it is just the regular size right?

Jenny said:
No Worries...Bulldog country is Athens, GA, home of the dearly beloved Georgia Bulldogs hailing from University of Georgia.

I've been through Athens several times, and it's one of the most beautiful towns I've ever seen!

SpiceUmUp said:
Bread machine? What is this "bread machine" you speak off?

Nah, no bread machine but I do use a Kitchenaid Pro5+ to do the kneading but I do the all the work otherwise. Rolling the dough, forming the loaves, creating the recipe (As I did for the Pan Loaves)

Everything from scratch,, no mixes.

To Spice: We use the same techniques on our bread: from scratch, no mixes, and we love our Kitchenaid mixer too.

You do such a good job, you're making me hungry just looking at all that good bread.:)

SpiceUmUp said:
Egg White Bread

oh my goodness.. you guys HAVE to try this recipe.. I actually cut the recipe in half.. and I only had All purpose flour.. but I did not half the ¼ tsp ascorbic acid.. actually I added a tad bit more then the 1/4.
So I made one loaf in a regular loaf pan.. and then like a round blob.. ( for a lack of better words, you know like those blobs you get in a restaurant) the blob was done in 15 minutes.. and the loaf was done in 30 minutes
and it is sooo pretty and great tasting! THANK YOU spice for the wonderful recipe!!!!!!!
Now, I wonder if you have one using wheat flour???? :)

I am so gratified to hear that you like the reciepe and that it came out well for you. It is a recipe I developed myself and it is great to hear htat others enjoy it!

I do have a wheat recipe I make. I will try to post it here this weekend

SpiceUmUp said:
I am so gratified to hear that you like the reciepe and that it came out well for you. It is a recipe I developed myself and it is great to hear htat others enjoy it!

I do have a wheat recipe I make. I will try to post it here this weekend

GREAT! I can hardly wait! :chef: :)

Back
Top Bottom