Rec. Burgers and onion jam TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I said on another post about my sister and her family coming to meet our little Olivia today at my daughters house..We had a salad, and several room temp veggies and I conned my s-i-l into getting out the bbq..We made these burgers and oh, my, for someone who does not really like burgers all that much, these were good. Course I bet the onion jam helped a little:LOL:
Here is what we did..
I made the jam last night..

Onion Jam
2-tab butter
2-Tab. evoo
2- sweet onions, or a nice yellow, halved and thinly sliced
1/4-c. each apple cider vinegar and balsamic
1/2-c. brown sugar, packed
1/4-c. water
salt and freshly ground black pepper.
in large pan over med heat, melt butter and evoo.Add onions and cook, stirring now and then reducing heat if they start to brown, til tender and translucent. Stir in the vinegars,brown sugar,salt and pepper and 1/4c. water .Reduce heat to low, and, til onions become jam like, about 15-20 min. If onions start to stick, add a little water..Set aside and assemble your burgers

Burgers:

1-1/2-lbs. ground chuck
2-egg yolks
4-green onion, green and white sliced thin
2 tea. Worchestershire
Dijon mustard
salt and pepper
4 slices of swiss or jack cheese cut in4 to fit into the burgers, close tightly so cheese won't ooze out.
Combine in a bowl the meat,egg,onions,salt and pepper.
Shape into 4 patties about an inch thick
Instead of buns we used crusty Italian bread cut about 1/2-inch thick
on this after buttering and toasting it, I put a mix of mayo,horseradish,dijon on one slice of bread,on top of the burgers, we put the onion jam,,bread and butter pickles and some leaves of butter lettuce...top with the other bread slice and
enjoy,
kadesma:)

Last edited:
As someone who does like hamburgers, this looks great! I've never had onion jam before. I will definitely have to try this soon. Thanks!!!

:) Barbara

That sounds awesome! Thnaks for sharing the Onion Jam recipe!

Alexa

Onion jam? Interesting. two words I never thought would go together. I'll try anything once, but I don't want to make a batch for fear of not liking it. I'll ahve to wait until I find someone that has some and try it.

BigDog said:
Onion jam? Interesting. two words I never thought would go together. I'll try anything once, but I don't want to make a batch for fear of not liking it. I'll ahve to wait until I find someone that has some and try it.
Big Dog, the recipe only makes enough to top 4 burgers, I'm sure you could cut it down to to make only enough for two burgers..Take a look at it and see what you think.

That jam recipe looks amazing! I bet it would be excellent with a lot of other dishes too. Many thanks Kadesma, I'm copying this one for sure :)

That sounds really nice. As I was reading through the post, I actaully started to get hungry and it's only 10:30 am. My husband's arriving home on Saturday and this will be a nice, meal for him (and me) He loves to put chutney (made with onions/fruit/vinegar & spices) on his hamburgers - the onion jam will be right up his alley! Thanks! cut-pasted-saved. Sandyj

Sandyj said:
That sounds really nice. As I was reading through the post, I actaully started to get hungry and it's only 10:30 am. My husband's arriving home on Saturday and this will be a nice, meal for him (and me) He loves to put chutney (made with onions/fruit/vinegar & spices) on his hamburgers - the onion jam will be right up his alley! Thanks! cut-pasted-saved. Sandyj
Thanks Sandy,
I love the onion jam and have even put it over a nice filet or rib eye steak..Glad to hear DH is on the way home..Hope he likes the jam..Also like the idea of putting chutney on a burger..Will have to try that.:)

kadesma

Piccolina said:
That jam recipe looks amazing! I bet it would be excellent with a lot of other dishes too. Many thanks Kadesma, I'm copying this one for sure :)
Thanks Piccolina, it is good on steak and I like it on pork as well..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom