When is it a party?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
My husband tells everyone I've thrown a party when I've just had a couple of friends over .... This Friday I made Indian food for six of us, and it was a huge hit. My question for all of you is when do you call it a party? Hubby definitely called "tiffin" a party, I'd have just said is was freinds getting togehter. What is your definition??

i think 2 to 3 other couples would be a small get together, as couples. but any more does start to represent a party, imo.

'bugs answer is "when she gets there..."

Last edited:
heh, heh, heh - bucky, you are such a mind reader.

I'd say it depends....

-when our friends B & K come over, it's always a party with just the four of us. (In fact, that's how our annual New Year's Day bash got launched.)

-definitely not a party when you invite the neighbors to listen to a stranger tell about Tupperware, Pampered Chef, Southern Living, etc. - even tho these gatherings are called parties

-when 2 or 3 couples go to buckytom and dw's for dinner, they are likely to have a lovely 3- to 4-course meal and discourse on the events of the day. When bt puts the lampshade on his head and starts singing auld Irish ballads, then it turns into a party.

BigDog said:
Well, according to Mindy McCready (sp?) t'aint a party 'til the girls arrive . . . . . :cool:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

If I have a party, it consist of about 10 or more people, a cookout, beer, liquor and music:mrgreen:
Don't know much about "Formal" stuff though.

Mudbug, thank you for agreeing that it isn't a party when someone (I hate to say it, but usually a woman) invites you over to sell you stuff. It is my pet peeve. I wouldn't mind going to a so-called party to sell me ##** if they'd have at least once in the time they've known me invited me over for a cup of tea, at least. But I have them over for meals, cocktails, brunch, etc, and some of them think it is the same thing when they invite me over to sell me cr-p. I'd rather be invited over for a glass of kool-aid than for "wine, cheese, and jewelry" (the latest). Or plastic wear, or gourmet cookwear. Being sold something is not entertainment.

I think 10 or more turns it into more of a party.

A group of girlfriends come round to my home for a gossip and afternoon tea (they hate to bake or cook, I love it, so it's my home every time nowadays!) - the number is fluid, depending on availability - anything from 4 - 10... It starts with tea, cakes, crumpets etc - and then miraculously seems to morph into a couple of 'drinks' after the sun goes over the yard-arm (a guess in Scotland for nearly 5 months of the year!) We call ourselves the Coven - and death and sickness are two of the only legitimate excuses for not turning up - because the threat is that if you don't.... YOU'LL be one of the items of gossip!:)

I have only ONCE attended any of those franchise parties - it was as a favour to my nextdoor neighbour when she moved into the road and wanted to make 'friends'... NEVER AGAIN. If I want plastic ware, I'll go to a store, I don't like to feel pressured to buy things like that...:mrgreen:

Well - "a" party, as defined in the dictionary in this context, is just a social gathering - no specific (minimum or maximum) number of persons required.

I must admit that back in the '70's when I lived on a river and had a canoe, I could have a nice party of one.

Last edited:
If there is music and "beverages" involved (of the sparkling variety... hehe) then it's a party, IMO.

Michael I guess defines it; I suppose it is a party. I have one core group of about 6 who get together at least monthly. It is usually for brunch, lots of champagne involved and hubby makes a mean bloody mary. Then I have freinds who visit from Virginia (they own a vacation cabin here), and we have them over, and while I'm fixing a big meal, why not inivite a few others over? Then I have friends I read to, and periodically (every couple of months) other freinds join us and we throw a party there (one freind is completely house-bound). I've never considered these to be parties. The way I grew up, it was just normal weekend fare. Twice a year I throw what I consider to be a party -- about 40 people. Now that's a party. I guess I'll have to start calling the smaller get-togethers parties as well.

Back
Top Bottom