Don't Despair!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

240brickman

Senior Cook
(I've been sitting on this one for a little while. My Mom sent it to me)

Sister Mary Margaret is sitting in her room one evening, reading her mail. She opens a letter that she's received from her parents, which reads,

Dear Mary Margaret,

We hope you're well, and having a good life in the convent. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Love, Mom and Dad

PS: here's a little something for you, from us

Sister Mary Margaret discovers a 100-dollar bill inside the envelope! She knows that she can't use the money, but she is touched by her parents' generosity.

She happens to glance out of the window, and she sees a man on the street below. He is unshaven, and he has a very unruly haircut. His clothes are dirty and full of holes. She thinks, "this man can certainly use this money more than I can!"

She writes the man a brief note: "Don't Despair", and signs it, "Sister Mary Margaret". She uses a paper clip to attach the note to the 100-dollar bill, and tosses the note out of the window. The man sees the note, and when it falls to his feet, he picks it up. When he realizes what he's just received, he waves a silent "thank you", and disappears.

The following day, there's a knock at the convent door. As it happens, Sister Mary Margaret answers the door. She opens the door to discover a handsome man---well groomed, and sharply dressed---standing there. After a moment, she realizes that this is the same man she saw on the street the night before.

The man asks, "are you Sister Mary Margaret"?

She nods, "yes"

...and the man hands her a gigantic handful of money.

"What on earth is this?" asks Sister Mary Margaret.

The mans says, "it's your cut....Don't Despair paid eighty-five to one!"

--J

Back
Top Bottom