ISO Lasagna: To egg or not to egg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lisa110

Senior Cook
Hi all :)

I have been pondering this for a few days, and I want to know your opinions. I have been making all kinds of lasagnas for ages, and when it comes to my basic italian lasagna, I always add 1 or 2 eggs, (along with parsley, other cheeses and seasonings, AND depending on how many lbs of ricotta used) to the ricotta mixture. I've recently come across several recipes where eggs are not added, and I was wondering if anyone out there prefers the ricotta layer minus the eggs because maybe they find it creamier and a better choice, as eggs serve as a binder and solidify it a tad (???).

lisa, i've never added eggs to my lasagna. i'm not sure why you need to bind the cheese layers as it is baked like a casserole, so nothing comes out the sides. i'll have to try that sometime to see if it makes a textural difference.

I've always added an egg to my mixture, though I think it would be fine without it.

i always add an egg to the ricotta cheese because that's what everybody else in my family did. i never knew it was optional lol.

I always add egg - I think I tried it once and the consistency wasn't as creamy, maybe more dry, I can't really remember exactly, I just remember that from that point on I used egg.

If I've got eggs in the fridge I'll usually add one or two. I've also just used egg whites whiched worked well too, both do seem to help bind the cheese a little better (especially true if you're using cottage cheese instead of ricotta).

I just spoke to my italian chef pal, who had been away for about a month, and he said using eggs is better because, believe it or not, it actually makes it creamier (quite the opposite of what I thought!), and it holds it's shape for presentation (that perfect square), instead of oozing out in a liquidy way, as the cheese separates a little without the eggs. He said the eggs make a much much smoother consistency, and sometimes he uses 6 eggs to 2 lbs of ricotta! Hmmm..interesting. I was thinking of making two small test lasagnas and having my family and friends decide which they prefer. :)

Well, personally I never used eggs in my lasagne, except for adding it to the pasta sheet when I make it by myself. However lasagne is one of those recipes where there is no definitive method, one of those recipes where each and every household has their own recipe which each of them consider it to be "truly authentic and the best". So if yours works and tastes good with eggs, that would be great!! Maybe I will try that someday myself!!

Lisa110 said:
I just spoke to my italian chef pal, who had been away for about a month, and he said using eggs is better because, believe it or not, it actually makes it creamier (quite the opposite of what I thought!), and it holds it's shape for presentation (that perfect square), instead of oozing out in a liquidy way, as the cheese separates a little without the eggs. He said the eggs make a much much smoother consistency, and sometimes he uses 6 eggs to 2 lbs of ricotta! Hmmm..interesting. I was thinking of making two small test lasagnas and having my family and friends decide which they prefer. :)

I usually, not always, add an egg to the ricotta/cheese mixture. Both ways taste good to me - w or w/o. IMO, 6 eggs to 2 lbs of riccota sounds like waaay too much. Then, again, I add a few cheeses to the mixture, sometimes mushrooms and garlic in addition to herbs, as well. It is probably a matter of taste. Perhaps the egg(s) give it a puffier texture, and the whites bind it together, IMO.

Last edited:
I don't add eggs to the cheese. I think there's enough cholesterol in the dish without adding the eggs!

I always add an egg or two because that's what my recipe calls for. I use the one on the noodle box, with a few variations. I figure the people who make the lasagna noodles know the best way to prepare the dish.

I always add egg to lasagna as well as ravioly/torteliny/pirogy, whatever they are called, my mom did it, my grandma did it, so do I. Is it right or wrong, I have no idea, I just do it.

I never used eggs 'cause I didn't know better....

and until I saw, recently, on the Cooking Channel where The Barefoot Contessa used eggs in hers. But, I never used ricotta because we didn't have any the first time I made it and subed cottage cheese instead. Yeah, I've got a lot to learn, but hey, it was a Betty Crocker recipe and everyone liked it! It's really fun to see different variations and I certainly am ready to try several.

I had never even heard of putting eggs in lasagna. I hate ricotta in my lasagna and love it with cottage cheese. I'm curious now about whether eggs would make any difference in my recipe, but since I love it the way I have always done it (and my mom before me), I think I'll save my eggs for something else. :cool:

:) Barbara

Barbara L said:
I had never even heard of putting eggs in lasagna. I hate ricotta in my lasagna and love it with cottage cheese. I'm curious now about whether eggs would make any difference in my recipe, but since I love it the way I have always done it (and my mom before me), I think I'll save my eggs for something else. :cool:

:) Barbara

I agree. I dont see a reason to add eggs to the mixture and I too prefer it with cottage cheese.

I make veggie lasagnas though because I dont eat red meat. I tend to add spinach to my lasagnas as well and boy, is it yummy! (and healthy too... lots of iron! :mrgreen: )

I use eggs too - I use a mixture of cottage cheese, shredded mozzarella, and ricotta (and of course all the correct herbs/spices) - I started out this way using the recipe off the manicotti shell box and then just transferred the same recipe to my lasagna - can't imagine doing it any other way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom