Wild Game....what do you like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bangbang

Executive Chef
I have been to several wild game dinners and have spent a lot of time hunting and fishing. I even have cooked road kill if I saw it get killed. My all time favorite is Beaver. I could not believe how good it was. I also like to cook raccoons. I make sloppy joes with raccon meat.

mmmm Rabbit.....My dad was always cooking Rabbit....That was so many years ago, i wonder if he forgot how, lol. I oughta get on him to cook me one again. We are avid wild game eaters! I love cooking up some good elk, moose, deer, ,buffalo (however i hardly think you can call that wild game anymore). Im not too fussy about duck, too greasy for my tastes. Dad has sworn in the past that I've had bear, snake, ,beaver, and I thinks he said Raccoon, but well I just dont remember them....

I love deer and buffalo! I haven't had rabbit or squirrel in years, but I always liked them too. I had pheasant a couple years ago and really enjoyed that too. I've never tried elk or moose, but I'm sure they are good. :) Years ago my uncle brought us a duck. We had never had it before. When my mom served it, she gave my sister and me each a leg, then they all sat staring at what was left, which was pretty much nothing but bones! Out of all these things I've mentioned, the only ones that were really wild were the deer and the squirrel.

:) Barbara

I like Bison,White tail deer as oppsosed to mule deer and after that I like elk meat,I dont like pronghorn antelope too gamey but if all I had was black buck antelope it would be better than nothing.
I think I can taste the gaminess of certain game and I hate it just as I dont like wild duck but farm raised duck is good.
I believe all game animals flavor is directly related to what they eat . :D

I think the wild taste comes from how they were when they were shot....if they are in motion when downed then the taste is going to be stronger....so as i have heard....any opinions on this???

tancowgirl2000 said:
I think the wild taste comes from how they were when they were shot....if they are in motion when downed then the taste is going to be stronger....so as i have heard....any opinions on this???

LOL! My opinion would be that the taste comes from the diet. Deer taste very different depending on if they are feeding on mostly corn or something else.

Well MJ I'm sure how it was dressed and how it was when taken down, ,but well...I suppose feed MAY have something to do with it....OH I will find out NOW....LMAO....silly boy

crewsk....I've heard alot of people soak it in milk overnight.....I've always marinated mine in Soya Sauce for a bit.....

I thought I liked wild pheasant until I shot and ate a Franklin. Oh boy. Is that bird tasty. The bad thing about it is you need to stand upwind when you're cleaning a Franklin.

:DGame meats taste is also how fast the animal is gutted and skinned as it needs to cool off fairly quickly Ive seen some hunters driving on highways with the deer not even gutted that make for some gross tasting meat.Which is why people field dress there game immediatley.

i tried my uncles homemade venison sausage. he told me it was hot itallian and i wuz like "ALreight give me two" it was good until he told me what it is. He shot the deer himself.

Game animals

I love venison neck stew. It's a Finnish dish. I also like medium rare goose breast, pheasant, rabbit, racoon, and wild duck. I've had buffalo, before, ostrich too. Antelope, elk, stone sheep, moose, and rock sheep are also some wild games I've tried and liked. I guess I don't understand the wild game taste thing that everybody talks about as being offensive. If you are used to eating the stuff that way, you have nothing to compare it too. Why would I want to get rid of the flavor I enjoy anyway? Just my two cents... 8)

About the only wild meat I've not liked is goose! We ate a guine hen we hit once. I believe there are so many factors in how deer etc taste. We've eaten antelope that was as good as beef, and some that was pretty sagey. Hubby has a hoist that fits into his bumper, so it gets dressed immediately. The weirdest we ever at was some elk we bought at an auction, they had run out on a not quite frozen lake and drowned. We wouldn't do it again.

I love deer, rabbit, and boar. Rabbit I can get frozen quite regularly, I'm not sure calling it "wild game" is appropriate! Once a freind called me in the night and said, "are you home? Do you want half a pig?" Her husband had killed yet another boar and she was sick of it. It arrived, still warm, in a clean garbage bag, and made the best barbecue sandwiches! I can buy farm raised venison regularly here as well, but in fact I kinda miss a bit of the gamey flavor (the boar, by the way, was in Hawaii and had NO gamy flavor at all, and was very, very, very lean)

We have a local source for game birds as well, but have found them quite tough for the most part. Need lots of braising and/or stewing.

Back
Top Bottom