Meringue problem [solved - never mind]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmar

Senior Cook
I'm trying to make meringues, and my egg whites won't peak. I'm worried now I may have added the sugar too soon.

But it's 4 egg whites (I may have gotten a teeny bit of yolk in it),
1/4 tsp each cream of tartar, salt, vanilla
1 cup sugar

I've been beating it in an electric mixer for quite a long time... and its runny.

Last edited:
I've only made Meringue a few times but...
I start with cold bowls...cold mixers...
I've never added salt
and too me it seems like a whole cup of sugar is a little toooo much for only 4 egg whites.

I've heard it said that "yolk" will ruin a meringue.

Someone with more experience will come on soon and help you out.

Good luck!

The tiny bit of yolk may have ruined this. Did you also make sure that the bowl and the beaters on your mixer were completely grease free? I think that is the likely culprit. Or if it is very humid where you are right now.

It's been raining/snowing today & there's a humidifier upstairs.
And I know you aren't supposed to make meringue when its humid... but I was so excited that I'd finally remembered to buy cream of tartar.
But grease/humidity/tiny bit of yolk might be my problem. There were peaks when I checked on it after writing the first post.

So I mixed in the cranberries and walnuts, but then it got runny again. But I spooned it onto baking sheets anyways. If it doesn't turn out, they weren't too expensive to make, and I'll know never try again on a rainy day.

The meringue would've turned out fine.
Except when I baked them I used waxed paper instead parchment paper and so the meringues are stuck to the paper which is stuck to the pan. So its hard to determine how many you're eating in pieces, and they can't be given away.

Marmar, I have never used cream of tartar in my meringues; my Grandmother and Mom never did. Someday I need to try it and see if I get better results as many others have. BTW, I have made the same mistake of using waxed paper instead of parchment too, so you shouldn't feel bad; chalk it up to a learning exercise!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom