Chicken Barley Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tilly

Assistant Cook
I usually make this recipe with beef but for Super Bowl I decided to try it using boneless chicken. This was really good gang and my son's college buddies ate three bowls of it each! I hope you try and it and enjoy it.

I don't measure things for this so it is not an exact science here.

1 large clove of garlic
2 carrots diced fine
1 medium onion diced fine
4 stalks of celery diced fine
1 12oz pack of fresh mushrooms sliced
(throw in pot)

6-8 boneless chicken thighs and 3 boneless breast (or any combo there of)
cut into chunks and dusted in seasoned flour and browned off in hot oil.

(I just put the flour and seasoning in a plastic bag and shake it all around, you want a good coating of flour because this will make the gravy once it gets in the pot) (I used salt, pepper, celery salt and some paprika)

Put chicken on top of veggies in pot and stir in about 1 cup of chicken broth.

I use about 5 chicken bullion cubes to three cups of water.

Put lid on and bake at 350 degrees--pulling out to check it if gets too thick, stirring and adding broth. After about 45 minutes to one hour---add another 12 oz pack of sliced mushrooms and 1/2 cup barley and more broth (about 1 1/2 cups) and continue to bake another 1/2 hour or so. Keep checking it and stirring. I also pour the broth into the skillet I fried the chicken in and scrape up all the bits before adding it to the pot.

I make this with beef also and it is just like the Colorado Steak house beef barley stew but when I make it with beef I also add a few squirts of ketchup which adds a lot of flavor. When I make it with beef the total baking time is about 3 hours, but with chicken not so long, it cooks faster. Be sure and check and keep stirring.

I hope you all enjoy this as much as we do. (I suppose you could add some sour cream before serving if you wanted to kick it up a knotch.)

Back
Top Bottom