Fast semi-homemade spaghetti sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sandyj

Sous Chef
GB, I was thinking of you when I made this sauce, since awhile ago you had asked for ideas for quick meals - and honestly - this was fast.

I bought two jars of spaghetti sauce last week - a Raghu (that said no sugar added) marinara of some sort and some other brand that announced it was organic. I wanted to do a comparison and both were on sale for $1.99 and I was making pizza and thought this might work in a pinch as the base sauce.

Anyhoo - (always "talk" too much...apologies), there was a lot left over and on Monday night after work I was so tired......I decided to use it up and make a spaghetti dinner.

For the sauce:
1. I heated a little extra virgin olive oil - maybe a tblsp. into a saucepan
and sauteed one finely chopped med. onion and three minced cloves of garlic.
2. When the onion was soft and translucent, I added about 4-5 leaves of fresh basil that I had rolled and cut up - it seemed to "absorb" the flavours.
3. Then, added what was left of the two jars of sauce (about 1 1/2 jars).
4. Then, about 1/2 cup of coarsely grated parmesan cheese
5. ...3 more basil leaves torn up
6. ...1/2 cup of the water the spaghetti had cooked in

It came out really nice and took about 10 minutes tops.

But, then I remembeed I had made and frozen (uncooked) some meatballs (smaller than golf ball sized) about 3 weeks ago, and figured, well, why not?

Meatballs were made of:
(turkey/breadcrumbs/grated onion/parsley/salt/pepper/parmesan cheese)

I took them out straight out of the freezer and stuck them in a 425 F oven - when they looked a little brown, I chucked them into the sauce.

This is a lot of words to describe what I think of as a really fast, economical and easy meal that still tasted as though some effort had gone into it. :) Sandy

lol Sandy. I have used your method too! I mean, not the same thing, But i have been too lazy to make my sunday sauce, and just ended up buying a random good looking bottle of store bought.

Then i just sauteed garlic and onion in some great olive oil, threw in a lb of some 80/20 ground beef, simmered until thick, and tossed with fresh basil leaves. Then added parmagiano reggiano.

easy to fool the untrained palate and i must say, Not too bad!

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom