Flank steak au poivre?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
Thinking about making some kind of steak au poivre type dinner tonight. I have flank steak in the freezer and basic pantry supplies. Don't have any wine or demi-glaze in the house for a sauce. Will either sear meat on the stove, finish in the oven and make a black peppercorn pan sauce or do some kind of peppery marinade and grill over high heat. Any suggestions, tips or jokes will be appreciated! Thanks!:chef: :chef: Will serve with french fries.

Do you have any beef stock or broth on hand? If you do, start reducing it now and you can make sort of an impromptu demi for your sauce. Reduce it by at least half, and taste for saltiness. You can keep on reducing it after that to concentrate the flavors, provided that it does not get too salty. Once the reduction is to your liking, thicken it with a little bit of roux or slurry, or combine it with heavy cream.

corazon90 said:
No, I don't have either. I can get some broth at the little store up the road. After adding the roux, how would you finish the sauce?

Do you have green peppercorns to add to the sauce? If not, then crust the steak with the black peppercorns and finish with the sauce. What kind of fresh herbs do you have on hand? Fresh thyme will help a lot. You can add that in when you're incorporating the roux. A little whole grain mustard can give the sauce more depth but be careful about adding in too much. Also, reduce the stock with a couple of bay leaves in it as well. You can reduce the stock with red wine too (50/50).

corazon90 said:
Thanks again for your help ironchef. I found this recipe but as I said, no red wine on hand, can I sub the demi for it? http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00010_rec03.asp
I like your suggestions, I do have thyme & bay leaves on hand, maybe I'll add a little rosemary too.

If you deglaze the pan, deglaze it with water or unreduced stock and then stir in into the reduction. If you try to deglaze with the reduction, it will burn.

Back
Top Bottom