What have you learned from DC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sandyj

Sous Chef
I was thinking about this the other day....
Here's a short list of what I've learned since joining this forum:

1. Probably the most important (and simplist!) season (especially the salt) as you go along, not at the end - it makes a lot of difference (don't be so afraid of salt that you use too little)
2. When you are roasting potatoes, don't add so many to the roasting pan that they steam - they won't get crispy <---- BIG BIG deal for me
3. for that matter....when browning things like skinless chicken breasts, don't put too many pieces in the pan so that they're so close together they steam instead of brown....be patient and cook a batch at a time
4. There are some good pre-prepared products out there - don't be a snob
Trader Joe's is a good place to look for these things!

5. You can make a gravy without using flour by reducing the liquid content
--- red wine added in the process of the gravy works well
6. Penzey's is a good place to find and buy herbs and spice

Plus more...I've learned a lot here....

Last edited:
How wonderfully kind and helpful people can be.

How a large group of people can quickly become friends
who though they've never met can really care about one and another.

And some great cooking hints too.

Lots of great tips, whether cooking, cleaning, whatever!
That you don't have to meet a person face to face to care about them and their sorrows, happiness and worries.
I'm very glad that I found this place!

I agree with all of the above and can say I've found some very good help here and quite promptly usually. Also, lots of wonderful ideas I'd never have thought on my own. Thanks a bunch!

1. canadians are fun to tease
2. aussies are fun to tease
3. englishmen, irishmen, and scots are fun to tease
4. italians are fun to tease, so long as they're cooking
5. if i forgotten your nationality, i probably haven't teased you, yet. :)

seriously tho, i have learned so much from all of the good people here i couldn't begin to list everything, nor thank everyone enough.

edited to add:6. it's particularly fun to tease people from subdivisionland!!!

Last edited:
I've learned so much...
1- men really do cook and very well:)
2-Like SandyJ said salting each layer of food
3- How to make an even better roux
4-I'm getting the hang of making cakes and nice desserts
5-learning how much fun it is to share recipes and ideas
6- and yes Virginia, there is a forum that welcomes you with open arms, and does not try to chew you up and spit you out..Is well run, easy to use, is informative, and lots of fun
7-how nice it is to make such wonderful friends.
kadesma:)

1/ I have learned that this is a better place to be than as DH call them a "Witch Doctor" office...Our Dr. has him seeing one to determine if he has dementia..so far so good.

2/ That our members really do care about each other, ( Love to all of you)

3/ That we have some wonderful cooks here.

SOOOO much in such a short amount of time:

1. people here are really nice
2. hard boiled eggs don't last more than a couple days in fridge (just this morning I read that one)
3. alot about buying pans - cleaning them, cooking on them too
4. great recipes
5. hints on buying a thermometer
6. lots of tips
7. so important, had to mention it again, GREAT PEOPLE!

That some Americans have a very different take on food (which sometimes I find unappealing).

However there are things that Americans seem to have down pat such as proper barbecueing (Aussies love to barbecue...but since 99.9% of Australians use a gas barbecue its not really barbecueing but just cooking on a stove outdoors) and the art of slow cooking such as using a slow cooker or the extensive use of cooking in the oven (Australians don't really cook that much in the oven apart from roasts and maybe a lasagne or two) such as casseroles.

buckytom said:
1. canadians are fun to tease
2. aussies are fun to tease
3. englishmen, irishmen, and scots are fun to tease
4. italians are fun to tease, so long as they're cooking
5. if i forgotten your nationality, i probably haven't teased you, yet. :)

seriously tho, i have learned so much from all of the good people here i couldn't begin to list everything, nor thank everyone enough.

I forgot to mention, that I learned that no matter how old that men get, they are still children!!!:LOL: And the world just wouldn't be the same without them!!
Thanks to bucky and a few other of the goofballs here, I've learned to laugh when I didn't particularly feel like it. Thanks you guys!!!

The reason I love this site is that the folks are so kind, everyone is just there to help.

Have learned so many things.

If someone asks a question I cannot answer usually Google or go to our books and learn a lot.

By the time I get back, most often, other posters have already answered the question.

You folk are so smart.

To Sallyj, I roast my cut up taters in the oven in a pan covered with aluminum foil for about forty minutes, and then take the foil off. Yes it steams them at the beginning but browns them at the end.

And to us they come out great.

Now why we 'roast' tater bits and 'bake' whole spuds is something I just cannot work out.

God bless y'all.

I've learned that if you ask a question, you always get an answer.

If you want a recipe, you can always find one

If you give a recipe, there are many thanks from everyone

And last but not least, if your having a hard time, people are here to help, no matter if it has to do with cooking or personal life situations. DC is a good community not just for cooking but for friends.

Karma to you if it was working....its the thought that counts:mrgreen:

Last edited:
I've learned here that there are great people willing to offer support in every way. Also, that giving one's opinion should be diplomatic. We're not here to hurt anyone's feelings but to help and support each other. And who knows, make a few friends along the way.

Last edited:
I've gotten a lot of last minute help. My usual panic mode. :rolleyes:

I've also learned a lot about bread, which I was pretty much in the dark about before.

From this site and living in Europe I've learned how much easier it is to measure by weight rather than volume.

I've become closet fans of Ishbel, Cara, Haggis, and Yakuta because their recipes and hints have never failed. :cool:

And for the OP- we don't used packaged products because we eat whole, organic foods instead of processed foods, so I don't consider myself a SNOB because I don't use packaged food, but a healthy person. But, in Germany, it's a lot easier to find non-processed foods and most people don't rely on it because the pace of life is slower than in the US. :)

Oh, and ETA: I've learned more about different cultures and how food plays different roles in different countries, which is very cool, in my opinion. I like expanding my horizons.

Last edited:
I have learned that the DC is made up of a lot on really nice folks who share a love of good food. If you have a question you will get a response....

Later

One thing I love about this place is that you all have welcomed me with open arms. I've made some great friends here.
I get a kick out of talking with people from all over the world, and learning what they eat and how they prepare it.
The cooking links section is amazing...one can find most anything there.
And I've gotten so many wonderful recipes and ideas from you folks.

This is easily the best cooking forum I've ever run across.

Back
Top Bottom