A cooking newbie need to know how to make simple pasta :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alx26

Cook
Hi there. I am new here. And I would like to get to know how to cook a few simple things.
So Ok I am thinking of going on a "body building diet" Not anything strict just eat healthier and more protein foods.
I need a good and quite simple thing that I can take with me in my bag and eat it on my dinner break. And the first thing that comes to mind after just sandwiches is pasta.
I would really like to know a few simple pasta dishes that I can put in one of those plastic boxes and open and eat in the middle of the day.
I was thinking things like simple tuna pasta or chicken and bacon. I know they are probably really simple to make but I would like to know exactly what to do and how to make it extra tasty :chef:

I love to take fresh veggies of your choice, I like zucchini, yellow squash, cherry tomatoes, red or green peppers or even both, egg plant. Saute them in a little onion or shallots and garlic and olive oil. Put them on pasta, like penne, little shells or whatever, drizzle with a little more olive oil and pram. cheese. You could even use a Italian dressing on it, I love it worm or cold.

Looks like this would be an easy muscle-building dish. I believe it came from a Men's Fitness Magazine.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED
6 oz. dry vegetable-pasta spirals* 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped* 1/2 cup spicy nonfat cheese, cubed* 1 cup canned white tuna packed in water, drained (the pouch tuna is best in flavor-try to stay away from the canned tuna)* 1 large tomato, chopped* 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs (or a mixture of dried parsley, marjoram, basil, and oregano)* 1/2 cup onions, chopped* 1/2 cup nonfat dressing

HOW TO PREPARE IT
Cook the pasta; drain and let cool. Steam or microwave the broccoli and let it cool. In a large bowl, combine the cheese, tuna, broccoli and pasta. Add the tomato, herbs, onions anddressing, mixing well. Serves four. Per serving: 296 calories, 39g carbs,26g protein, 4g fat

Last edited:
Dina said:
Looks like this would be an easy muscle-building dish. I believe it came from a Men's Fitness Magazine.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED
6 oz. dry vegetable-pasta spirals* 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped* 1/2 cup spicy nonfat cheese, cubed* 1 cup canned white tuna packed in water, drained (the pouch tuna is best in flavor-try to stay away from the canned tuna)* 1 large tomato, chopped* 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs (or a mixture of dried parsley, marjoram, basil, and oregano)* 1/2 cup onions, chopped* 1/2 cup nonfat dressing

HOW TO PREPARE IT
Cook the pasta; drain and let cool. Steam or microwave the broccoli and let it cool. In a large bowl, combine the cheese, tuna, broccoli and pasta. Add the tomato, herbs, onions anddressing, mixing well. Serves four. Per serving: 296 calories, 39g carbs,26g protein, 4g fat
This looks like exactly what I need, but as I said I am a totall newbie to cooking:), so here are a few questions:huh:
First of all how much is a cup? Hehe if its the obvoius answer and its just a about as much as it fits into an average cup then just ignore this.
Second, whats the easiest way to get those herbs if in my supermarket I don't find a pack saying "Dried Italian Herbs":mrgreen:
And third how do I steam broccoli?
If I microwave do I have to add water or anyting to it?

Sorry for asking so many simple questions but the best thing I have ever cooked is, well backed chicken potions(put on the tray, sprinkle some pepper, put in oven, wait, done):-p

You can easily pick up a measuring cup at your grocery store or a Target/WalMart near you.

As for the spices, you can simply find them at your grocery store down the spice aisle called italian seasoning (dried basil, marjoram, oregano, bay leaves and rosemary). If can't find that, then get the fresh herbs in the produce section although this second option might be a bit more expensive.

To boil veggies, grab a large pot, fill it halfway with water, bring to a full boil, add a touch of salt to your taste and throw in the broccoli. Cook for only 3 minutes, unless you like broccoli a bit more tender, cook a couple of minutes longer. In the meantime, get a large bowl or container ready with ice water so that you can shock the broccoli. This is to stop it from cooking any longer. When you leave the veggies in hot, steamy water they continue to cook and you don't want mushy veggies. Once the 3-4 minutes of boiling the broccoli are up, get rid of the hot water and drop it in the ice water. If you microwave per se frozen veggies, you might need just a tad of water but make sure you are using a microwave safe dish with a lid to maintain some steam in the veggies. Good luck. Feel free to PM me if you need further help. I'd be glad to help you.

Last edited:
As for the spices, you can simply find them at your grocery store down the spice aisle called italian seasoning (dried basil, marjoram, oregano, bay leaves and rosemary). If can't find that, then get the fresh herbs in the produce section although this second option might be a bit more expensive.

More expensive may be, but the results of using dried herbs compared to fresh is pitiful in comparison (not counting oregano which loves to be dried). Always use fresh whenever possible and your palate will thank you.

Thanks a lot, when we are having sunday roast dinner we usually boil broccoli for like 30 minuits so thanks for pointing out that it only takes about 5:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom