Swiss broccoli soup:rec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
My girls just love creamy thick soups and this is one they ask for from time to time.
2-1/2 lbs. broccoli
1-c. chopped leeks
4-Tab. butter
4Tab. flour
4-c. chicken stock
1-c. light cream (1/2 & 1/2)
1-c. shredded swiss cheese
nutmeg, I use about a1/4 tea. you can use as you wish, but it does give a great taste
salt and pepper to taste

cut enough florets to measure 2 cups. Cut the rest of the broccoli into 1-inch pieces. Cook florets and pieces, separately in lightly salted water; until just tender. I find the florets are done first. Immediately rinse with cold water to chill. Drain, set florets aside til serving time.
In large pan, saute leeks in butter til tender; 3-4 min. sprinkle on the flour and cook for a minute, stirring with a whisk. Remove from heat and stir in chicken stock. Return to heat and simmer about 5 min.
Add broccoli pieces to stock and puree in blender, in batches til smooth.
Just before serving blend in cream and cheese. Simmer til cheese melts. Add nutmeg the taste for salt and pepper. Serve right away...
The girls love cheese biscuits with butter with their soup..

enjoy,
kadesma:)

Soup is good food!
This one sounds great.
I'm sure Paul would love it.
Thanks!

Thanks, kadesma! We've got more stormy weather moving in...snow and wind - this soup will be perfect!! :)

The nutmeg, swiss and leeks sound like a great team. Wonder if I could nuke the broc to get it cooked uniformly. Makes me think about getting an immersion blender. Hmmm. Lots of good soup recipes on the forum lately. Maybe I can have a soup du jour every day for a week. :LOL: C&P. Thank you, kadesma.

Just remembered, I have a recipe for sun-dried tomato bread and a spinach/cheese bread. Maybe I could make a whole meal with a salad.

Last edited:
pdswife said:
Soup is good food!
This one sounds great.
I'm sure Paul would love it.
Thanks!
Your welcome Pds, it's getting quite windy here, and even tho the sun is shining it's cold..I think soup will be on the menu here tonight,,DH has to work til 8 so I've plenty of time.

callie said:
Thanks, kadesma! We've got more stormy weather moving in...snow and wind - this soup will be perfect!! :)
Oh boy, won't you be glad when spring and summer get here? I hope you like it if you get a chance to try it.On a day like this it's so nice and comforting..Keep warm now.

mish said:
The nutmeg, swiss and leeks sound like a great team. Wonder if I could nuke the broc to get it cooked uniformly. Makes me think about getting an immersion blender. Hmmm. Lots of good soup recipes on the forum lately. Maybe I can have a soup du jour every day for a week. :LOL: C&P. Thank you, kadesma.

Just remembered, I have a recipe for sun-dried tomato bread and a spinach/cheese bread. Maybe I could make a whole meal with a salad.
Hi Mish,
Your welcome, with all the great recipes you share with us, it's nice to be able to give one back.
I would think you could nuke the broccoli, the florets cook faster than the stem part, so I'd do that first and just set them aside. I'd love to have one of those immersion blenders, I'm starting to drop hints :LOL: After all Mother's day has to come sooner or later:LOL:
Your bread recipes sound great, the sun dried one espicially..Emmm And you're right you'd have an outstanding meal with the bread, soup and some salad or even fruit and cheese..Yummers.

Glad you like the recipe.

kadesma said:
Hi Mish,
Your welcome, with all the great recipes you share with us, it's nice to be able to give one back.
I would think you could nuke the broccoli, the florets cook faster than the stem part, so I'd do that first and just set them aside. I'd love to have one of those immersion blenders, I'm starting to drop hints :LOL: After all Mother's day has to come sooner or later:LOL:
Your bread recipes sound great, the sun dried one espicially..Emmm And you're right you'd have an outstanding meal with the bread, soup and some salad or even fruit and cheese..Yummers.

Glad you like the recipe.

Thank you, kadesma.

Can I add some figs and grapes to my fruit 'n cheese platter, & smoked oysters on crackers, and a bottle of good wine too? I think we may have a party goin' on. :)

mish said:
Thank you, kadesma.

Can I add some figs and grapes to my fruit 'n cheese platter, & smoked oysters on crackers, and a bottle of good wine too? I think we may have a party goin' on. :)
Sure as long as you're gonna share:LOL:

kadesma...let's party:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom