ISO Old/Traditional Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
South Australia, Australia, The southern Hemispher
hi, we were wondering if anyone had any ideas for an old or traditional (can be tradiotional to any country) recipe's that we could use and change to suit a modern day south Australian Restaurant or cafe. We need to do this for the yr 12 course in school and any help would be greatly appriciated:chef:

luv Kim & Krysten

What about macaroni and cheese, but making it "fancy" by using nice cheeses,hand made pasta, and fresh herbs?

Last edited:
fish and chips becomes fish milanese on crisp greens with a lemon vinaigrette

use sword fish...cut into medalions...pound about 1/2 to 1/3 inch thick between wax paper,season s/p, lightly flour, dip in beaten egg, then into mix of parmesan cheese and panko crumbs. fry lightly in saute pan in a mix of evoo and butter flavored with a bit of garlic. (couple minutes per side. )

serve over green salad with frisee and micro lettuces, and dress with a feta vinairgrette or a lemon juice one.

easy, incredibly fancy and delicious, and much dressier than ordinary fried fish.

makes a great entree in hot weather, or a fine light salad lunch.

Well, if you want traditional, how about an American Thanksgiving dinner? Other than the turkey, everything else is pretty economical. If so, you can find SO many Thanksgiving recipes in our archives!

A traditional recipe for Easter here is lamb (I know it's a whole lot cheaper in Australia than it is here) - I make a rosemary and dijon mustard pesto coating for mine - then you could do an asparagus/parmesan risotto to make it more modern and a leafy green salad with a strawberry vinaigrette. That's taking tradition and twisting it to make it modern - I think anyway.

If you want any of these recipes send me a private message - that way I'll be sure to get it.

Maybe you could try a Cajun style menu.

Have no idea how much that type of food is known or eaten in Australia, sorry have never been there but would love to vist, but it might work.

Advantage to me is that jambalaya, etoufee, gumbo are all recipes that can be made with, or modified to contain, pretty much what is available.

And most people outside of Bayou country just use shrimp instead of crayfish (they are difficult to find elsewhere).

Could even make a Cajun boudin, we make it rarely, but we love the stuff.

All it needs is some pork, rice, a bit of liver (can omit), veggies, spices, just Google. But try a test batch first, because if our first batch sorta blew apart most of the casings during the cooking (slowly steam). There are even recipes that do not put the mixture into casings but make it as a sort of dressing.

Although most Cajun recipes you will find seem written in stone, the people who came up with the food were poor and lived largely off the land. So the basic recipes are what is important, these are down home recipes that can be modified easily, and are very tasty.

Just an idea.

Last edited:
jkath said:
Well, if you want traditional, how about an American Thanksgiving dinner? Other than the turkey, everything else is pretty economical. If so, you can find SO many Thanksgiving recipes in our archives!

This is a good idea. You could serve roast chicken, gravy, roasted garlic and herb mashed potatoes and pan seared brussels sprouts w/ white balsamic.

Here's some stuff that I've done in the past:

Grilled Cheese Sandwich and Tomato Soup
Crispy Brioche and Boursin Cheese, Gazpacho of Heirloom Tomato with Spanish Olive Oil and Creme Fraiche

Fish 'n Chips
Macadamia Nut and Panko Crusted Halibut with Ancho Chili and Roasted Garlic Polenta Fries

"Nouveau" Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner
Seared and Roasted Turkey Breast and Cofit Leg of Turkey, Hazlenut and Cherry Stuffing Timbale with Sweetbreads, Terrine of Candied Yam and Butternut Squash, Turkey and Cognac Jus Lie

Surf and Turf
Grilled Veal Chop with Ponzu Demi and Grilled Korean Style Ahi Tuna "Kalbi" with Ko Chu Jang Butter Sauce

Thai Style Bouillabase
Lemongrass and Coconut infused broth, Clams, Mussels, Fresh Fish, Lobster

Another thing you can do is to take a traditional dish and then deconstruct it. Take the different components that make up something and seperate them into their own thing. One example is a California Roll. I do a deconstructed version where the crab, rice, avocado, cucumber, rice, etc. are all seperate and flavored individually. I've also done one of kung pao chicken. There's a thread on here with a pic of that.

Back
Top Bottom