ISO Old / Traditional Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
South Australia, Australia, The southern Hemispher
hi, Were looking for old and traditonal (to any country) recipes that we could use for a SACE stage 2 Food &Hospitality course (in Australia) that woulden't be too expensive and that can be altered to suit a modern day Restaurant or Cafe in Australia. Oh and I(Krysten) am a Vegitarian so no meat please.

Any help would be greatly Appreciated. Thankyou:chef:

luv Kim & Krysten

It might help if you were a bit more specific.

Do you want a main course? Side dishes?

Am a bit confused as you say you want it for a course and then for a restaurant menu.

Have some ideas, but am not sure what you want.

ok, sounds like something like this:
old: mixed vegetables, boiled, buttered, served.
new: select a variety of root vegetables: turnip, parsnip, carrot, potato, etc (your choice of what is available)...slice on bias in medium pieces, sprinkle with olive oil, season with salt, pepper, thyme, chili flakes, roast in 400*F oven until lightly browned and tender, flipping occasionally...30 min or so. rough chop together, mix and serve...test for seasoning, garnish with fresh chopped parsley.

fresh, colorful, very tasty, vegetarian, not too dear. enjoy

Fried Tomatoes And Okra

FRIED TOMATOES AND OKRA

2 lb. frozen okra
1 lg. can crushed tomatoes
1 lg. green pepper
1 lg. onion
1 can whole kernel corn (option)
1/2 stick margarine
Salt
Pepper
1 tsp. sugar

Cut up okra, simmer in margarine. Slice green peppers and onions. Add to okra until brown. Add can of tomatoes with the juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drain corn, add sugar, stir and let simmer. Pour over rice, if so desired.

feild peas with snaps
creamed corn both of these are older recipes
any kind of beans and rice

newer-glazed carrots-veggie stir fry
also veggie au gratin is good and newer

Well first thing that comes to mind is some sort of filled pasta. Traditionally, Italian ravioli and Polish pierogi are filled with cheese. But nouveau cuisine has them stuffed with butternut squash, pureed green peas, pumpkin, etc. and served with fried sage leaves in butter sauce.

But, as auntdot said, we could help you better if you narrowed your request a little. :)

Lee

Just an idea.

Portobello mushroom stuffed with cheese and whatever else you want.

Just Google for recipes.

Serve surrounded with small piles of deep fried matchsticks of carrot, potato, beet, and parsnip.

Put a bit of tomato comfit on the plate and it would look nice, and I think taste OK.

I hate trying to come up with veggie menus, it makes me think too hard.

Here are a few suggestions:

Red beans & rice
Hoppin' John (black-eye peas & rice)
Bean burritos
Cabbage rolls with mushroom/rice filling
Pasta primavera
Potato leek soup

One more question...what kind of vegetarian are you? Do you eat eggs and chese?

I've posted loads of 'traditional' British (and specifically Scottish ones, too!) on here - including shepherd's pie, cottage pie, bubble and squeak, things like Cullen Skink, a fish soup, Cock a leekie soup (chicken and leek and very 'now' as it is a thin broth with little bits of veggies and rice in the broth). If you do a search from the bar at the top and put any of those dishes in the search box it'll bring you up loads of recipes!

Cheese-lovers said:
i have decided to make a modernised british breakfast using bubble and squeak, pentagon shaped toast, not bacon (soy rashes) and eggs. I am unsure as to what kind of drink to searve with this....

luv Krysten

You cant get more authentic/traditional than tea!

What about crumble. Traditional recipe is to cook the fruit in a pan, put this in a dish, then top with mixed flour and butter (just work them together by hand and they'll come together). How you could adapt that to modern restaurant food i'm not sure. Or sunday dinner. If you can do a really good roast piece of meat and serve it with roast potatoes, carrots, broccoli and something else with a good gravy then you deserve praise.

Hi.

This is Kim but im talking for Krysten. She has unfortunately had her idea to make bubble and squeak declined so now she is going to make bread and butter pudding. I am making a baked lemon cheesecake. We were wondering if people had pictures or ideas on how to serve these dishes in a modern way that is good enough to be served in a restaurant.

Thanks
luv Kim and Krysten :chef:

I've posted quite a few bread and butter pudding recipes from the UK on here... one made with marmalade and one with fruits - you could cook them in individual ramekin or souffle dishes.

I've found you the thread for a fruit B&BP
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f117/bread-and-butter-pudding-ishbels-14850.html

You could use brioche instead of ordinary bread for the puddings.

Another B&BP thread!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f117/bread-and-butter-pudding-with-a-twist-14718.html?highlight=bread+butter+pudding

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom