American popover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annamaria

Cook
Hi there!
Italy is calling... I think you don't remeber me at all. I wrote in this forum some time ago.
I'm going to introduce myself again.
I write from Rome and my passion is the american cooking.
I would like to make your popover but I have no homemade recipe.
Could you tell me?

Thank you and sorry for my bad English!
I can assure my Italian is better!!

Take care of you!
Annamaria

annamaria!!!! it's great to see you here.

i was just thinking of you the other day, as we have a few italians on the site now: a fellow roman, and a nice guy from milan. i was hoping to see you here again.

the pacchiane still haven't come around, tho. :)

welcome back.

Last edited:
Hi Tom!!
Sometimes I've thought of you. How are the tomatoes? Did they grow?

The pacchiane are fine!They're still looking for a cute boy! :LOL:

Annamaria

buckytom said:
annamaria!!!! it's great to see you here.

i was just thinking of you the other day, as we now have a few italians on the site now: a fellow roman, and a nice guy from milan. i was hoping to see you here again.

the pacchiane still haven't come around, tho. :)

welcome back.

Popovers

2 eggs
1 cup milk
3 TLB melted butter or margarine
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
Beat eggs until frothy. Mix in milk and butter. Add flour and salt gradually, beating until smooth. Spoon into greased muffin tins filling 1/2 full. Bake 450f (230c) for about 30 min until puffed and brown. Serve at once. Do not freeze. Makes 9. Serve with butter, jam or honey...Will collapse if underbaked.

Thank you!!!
I'll try to make it. may I use the flour for pancakes? For the little I know italian flour is rather different than the american one

annamaria, i grew a few plants from the seeds you sent me. they were fantstic, but i was never able to make a sugo with them. my son loved them so much, every day he would run into the garden and pick them, and eat them like candy. he was eating a half pint or more a day, so not many made it into the house.

i still have seeds left for this years garden. thanks again. :)

buckytom said:
annamaria, i grew a few plants from the seeds you sent me. they were fantstic, but i was never able to make a sugo with them. my son loved them so much, every day he would run into the garden and pick them, and eat them like candy. he was eating a half pint or more a day, so not many made it into the house.

i still have seeds left for this years garden. thanks again. :)

They are not good for the sugo you know. For the sugo you need another kind that we use for the "conserva". It's more big and long.
Anyway, you can use the little ones for salad with oil of olive, basil, salt and origan or for another kind of sugo that is more light. You put some garlic with oil then you add the tomatoes just for a little time, salt and basil.
It's very fresh and it's very used during summer in southern Italy.

I'm happy you have a son now and I'm sure he will be a chef!

annamaria said:
Thank you!!!
I'll try to make it. may I use the flour for pancakes? For the little I know italian flour is rather different than the american one

According to Shirley Corriher, food chemist and cookbook author, the best flour for popovers is a good bread flour. A hard winter wheat that is high in protein.

Annamaria! I'm so glad you're back! My tomatoes grew too! Thank you so very much! I think of you every time I have limoncello. Please stay around here - like buckytom said, we do have other italians here, including urmaniac13, who lives in Rome.

POPOVERS!!!!What a great idea to make for dinner on Sat for those who don't like soda bread!!!!!Thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom