Haggis' Pumpkin Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haggis

Sous Chef
Tonight's dinner was looking pretty grim until I spied a butternut pumpkin (butternut squash for those who spell colour wrong) and whipped it into a soup. I generally don't do the whole measurements thing but this turned out so good I (roughly) jotted down what I used.

Haggis' Pumpkin Soup
-------------------

approx. 750g butternut pumpkin (it was a very small one, guesstimating here)
2 medium carrots
1 large brown onion
2 bay leaves
1-2 tsp dried thyme
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 1/2 - 2 tsp coriander seeds, dry roasted and crushed
2 small-to-medium potatoes, chopped into small chunks
600ml chicken stock (with perhaps a bit more to adjust consistency)

Peel pumpkin and cut into fairly thin slices. Dress with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and the coriander seeds. Roast at 240'C until tender.

Cut carrot and onion into dice. Sweat in some olive oil until softened. Add garlic and bay leaves and a couple pinches of salt and cook till garlic has softened.

Add potato, roasted pumpkin, dried thyme and 600ml of the stock mixture. Cook until potatoes are tender, then blend until very smooth. Adjust consistency and seasoning to taste.

Serve with a swirl of dairy as you like (I like plain yoghurt, but sour cream would of course work as well). You could grate a bit of nutmeg on top, I forgot however, but I'm sure that the warming sweetness of nutmeg would go hand-in-hand with the ground coriander.

This made enough for 3 of us. With crusty bread on the side of course.

This sounds simple and delicious... i'll have to try it! (will use veggie stock instead of chicken stock as I dont eat chicken though)

Thanks for the recipe!

Really nice Haggis, I like the inclusion of coriander seeds. I usually use "sweet" herbs like sage and rosemary so it would be fun to try your version with more of a spicy kick to it. Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

Wow!! That sounds really good. I think I'm gonna have to try that one for myself!:chef:

Back
Top Bottom