Need Pork Tenderloin Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
Lastnight I laid out a pork tenderloin to thaw. It is sealed in a vaccum bag with no air. When I cooked dinner last night, I forgot that I had laid it out and cooked shrimp instead. :wacko: Anywho... the tenderloin got to room temp and I placed it back in the frig. Question is do you think it will be ok??? I hate to waste it, so I am debating weather or not to cook it.

Thoughts?

When you open the sealed bag, check the meat. Does it smell fresh? Is it a good color? Is it slimy?

I would definitely cook this meat past the medium-rare stage because even if it appears to be in great shape, room temperature is a good temerature for microbial growth. The heat will kill the nasty critters.

On second thought, botulism is caused by a very nasty little micro-critter that likes an anerobic lifestyle, that is, it grows best where there is no air. Now the microbe itself is harmless. But the toxin it releases into its environement is one of the most potent toxins, bar none. And that toxin isn't destroyed at cooking temps. Botulism is the main reason for adding sodium nitrite to cured meats. Before it was used, the meat curing in those airtight little skins had the habit of producing illness, even death due to botulism poisoning.

Not to be an alarmist, but I think I would toss it. Better safe than sorry.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks

I think I will take your advice... as stated better safe than sorry! I have spent a few days in the hospital several years back with a possible ecoli / staph infection... don't want to go through that again!!!!

how long was it actually thawed?

I think I must be a lucky duck, Goodweed - I've had instances like that (where the meat was on the counter for at least an hour and a half, and I end up throwing it in the crockpot for 8-10 hours!

Hard to Say

I tossed it.... hard to do, but I tossed. I laid it out around noon, since it was not a full tenderloin (I only cook for 2 and usually divide meats to facilitate that need,) maybe 3/4 lb at the most, it was probably thawed around 4pm and did not discover my mistake till around 7 or 8pm. Such a nice cut of meat.... HATED, HATED to toss it.

I think what I should have done is gone ahead and cooked it up as opposed to tossing it in the fridge for the next night. It was not so bad.... we ended up having bacon wrapped filets instead..... YUM!!!!!:mrgreen:

Sorry you tossed it. Smell would tell you if it was okay--after you rinsed it. And botulism is not a candidate for meat.

When you thaw meat it is never safe to thaw it at room temp. anyway, thaw it in a sink with cold water that is changed every 30 minutes

changing sinks full of water that often must be very tiring... :rolleyes:

i always go with my nose on meats. i carefully peel back any wrapper or plastic, and take a good whiff. if the meat smells at all; if i detect the tiniest bit of something bad, it gets chucked.
be careful doing it this way tho. when you get a stinker, it can almost make you pass out.

certain meats, like pork and of course fish, have a smell. but it's not the same as when it goes bad. that aroma is easily identifiable.

in the future: vacum packed sealed meat will withstand such an "unsupervised" thaw, and if refridgerated and cooked the next day, or later the same day, will be fine. If in any doubt, make sure it reaches 160* inside. Meat not vacumm packed should be cooked right away if thawed like that. The meat is "sterile" inside, only the exposed parts pick up bacteria etc. Once you cut it up or grind it...cook it.
But the tenderloin you described would have been fine. A quick roll in herbs, salt , and pepper, into the oven. SLice it for sandwiches or use in a stew or stir fry.

Gretchen said:
Sorry you tossed it. Smell would tell you if it was okay--after you rinsed it. And botulism is not a candidate for meat.

Meat can certainly be contaminated with botulism. Improperly canned meat is a leading cause. The anerobic room temp environment described here would make me think twice, though it probably didn't sit out long enough for the toxin to multiply.

Great Info

All, lots of good info for next time. I try to vacumm pack all my meats... they keep better in the freezer. I am bad about thawing meats a day or 2 before in the frig... I just never seem to plan that far ahead.

My first instinct was that it would be ok, but then I figured why risk it?

I thaw meats all the time at room temp or via the water method... just this particular time I must of had a brain fart or something. :-p

Gretchen said:

Historically, sausage was one of the main culprits for poisoning people with botulism. Do just a bit of research on sausage making (we're talking uncooked, cured sausage like pepperoni, salami's etc.) and you will find that botulism was a real problem before it was found that sodium nitrite inhibited the organism's growth. I'm not sure if the microbe was introduced to the meat by the spices (which seems logical) or whether it can contaminate through air currents. I know it is a common organism in most soils.

I also know that it is an anerobic organism, hence my worry about un-refridgerated, vacuum-packed meat.

And yes I know that meat is often aged, but it is done so at a controlled temperature. Gretchen, you may be correct in your statement that the organism doesn't infect pure meat. But I do know that without proper temperature control, and in sausage casings, sausage mixtures are prone to contamination from a host of microbial cultures. And the meat doesn't have to be touched by fecal matter due to poor porcessing. There are many airborn contaminants, as well as those that live on working surfaces, on people's skin, etc.

Myself, I've eaten plenty of meat that's been allowed to sit at room temperature too long. And luckily, I've never had food poisoning. But that may be pure luck on my part. I agree with the statement, when in doubt, throw it out. It's just not worth the risk. And until I have concrete scientific evidence to prove otherwise, I will choose to err on the side of safety.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom