Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Cook's Tools (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f88/)
-   -   Trying to Help : Coronet Mold (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f88/trying-to-help-coronet-mold-19659.html)

Saltyknees 02-24-2006 08:43 AM

Trying to Help : Coronet Mold
Hi, I am new here. :smile:
I am trying to locate (for an ambitious friend who has discovered the joys of cooking) a "coronet mold". He wants to replicate a recipe which comes from The French Laundry.
Why? I don't know. More money than time, I suppose. :tongue:
Any way, if anyone out there knows where I can locate this, please contact me. It would be greatly appreciated.

jennyema 02-24-2006 09:03 AM

I am not sure what a coronet mold is. Is the recipe in his cookbook? I havce it and could possibly see if the book gives guidance.

Ishbel 02-24-2006 09:08 AM

Could it possibly be an English jelly-mould - I think Americans call it jello? I've got copper ones, china ones and even a couple of plastic ones in the shapes of bunnies and teddies! I've made lots of different things in the moulds, not just fruit jellies!

Saltyknees 02-24-2006 09:13 AM

From what I understand, he makes these ice-cream cone shaped pastries which are then filled with things, I dunno what, but if you have the book, they're supposed to be one of the specialities of the House.

jennyema 02-24-2006 09:18 AM

Yeah I remember those from this book which is not a cookbook but a book about being a chef. About 1/3 of the book is about TK and French Laundry.

I'll go look at the cookbook.

jennyema 02-24-2006 09:33 AM

Ok, I have the answer.

It's the first recipe in the cookbook. "Coronets" Salmon Tartare with Sweet Red Oinion Creme Fraiche.

You make the coronets with a batter that cooks then is wrapped around a #35 Coronet Mold. The book refers you to the CIA (888-424-2433); JB Prince Co (800-473-0577); Sur La Table (800-243-9852) and Wms Sonoma (800-541-1262) as sources for it.

Edited to add that it also requires a 4 inch hollow circular stencil and a silpat. The instructions for this recipoe are, how shall we say, just a bit complicated.

Like you said, it lends up looking like a little ice cream cone.

Ishbel 02-24-2006 10:59 AM

English cream horn moulds should do the trick!

jpmcgrew 03-01-2006 03:32 PM

:smile: Go to http://fantes.com
Type in cream horn molds in the search box and go from there.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.