Crostini ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
We love crostini and have fun thinking up ideas to top them..Here are several we plan to have sunday..I'll of course make more than this but this gets us started...
8-slices Italian bread, about 1/2 inch thick.Grill or toast bread under broiler on both sides, we don't like it rock hard, but you fix it as you like.
now for toppings
1-chopped marinated sun dried tomatoes and smoked mozzarella
2-Sweet butter, chopped chives and smoked salmon
3-mashed gorgonzola dn chopped toasted walnuts
4-Mascarpone and smoked salmon, tine bit of dill
5-Mashed raw figs and top with a small piece of prosciutto
6-black olive paste and mozzarella, run under broiler
7-fresh mozzarella and anchovie, run under broiler
8-sauteed chopped mushrooms,fontina chees, run under broiler..

Got any ideas to add...?:LOL:

kadesma

I just found this one... sounds great to me.

( Thanks to CDkitchen)

Artichoke Crostini Recipe

• 12 ounces marinated artichoke hearts
  • 3 stalks heart of palm
  • 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup parmesan cheese
  • 2 clove garlic -- crushed
  • 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
  • French bread -- sliced 1"-thick
  • parmesan cheese for topping
  • paprika for topping
Directions:
Drain artichoke hearts and place in food processor with other ingredients and process quickly until coarsely chopped. Mound about 2 tablespoons mixture on top of bread slice, sprinkle with extra parmesan cheese and paprika. Place on baking sheet and put under broiler until topping is hot and bubbly. Serve immediately.This recipe for Artichoke Crostini serves/makes 12.

Texas... looks like it's a piece of French bread toasted and
then topped with yummy things.

Last edited:
Texas, Pds,
Crostini, Bruschetta, are slices of toasted Italian bread, spread with toppings,the two words are sometimes used interchangeably. Bruschetta is usually topped with a simple topping, first being toasted and then rubbed with garlic. Something like just tomato,evoo,an herb,salt and pepper, Crostini have a more complex topping, but you just use your imagination and use thing you enjoy..The only thing is the breads they are what is important, they should be crusty and chewy and firm enough so that it will not collapse with the topping. One bruschetta I love is tomato, with avocado, red onion, evoo, lemon juice and salt and pepper Yummy..

kadesma:LOL:

ooohhh, okay, sounds good, but, fattening LOL. I guess I'll have to pass right now. But, I will definately come back to it.

Texas, lots of times, I'll make the tomato and avocado mix for the crostini and eat it rolled up in lteeuce instead of bread..I don't add much evoo and instead of lemon I add some rice vinegar..light and tasty treat and not as heavy calorie wise.You can also add a little cooked chicken or some canned tuna and have a really good salad this way too.

kadesma:)

kadesma said:
4-Mascarpone and smoked salmon, tine bit of dill
6-black olive paste and mozzarella, run under broiler
kadesma

Mmm... they all sound good, but those two ^^^ sound just devine!

:) I make one with diced eggplant,onions sundried tomatoes and italian seasonings saute and put on crostini with some fresh mozarella and a little bit of feta run under broiler a bit.I can make a meal out of just about any kind of brushetta or crostini.You can make a quick bruschetta with some store bought pesto or olive tapenade,mozzarella and a slice of tomato.The possibilities are endless.
If you keep some of the sliced breads or toast in the freezer you can whip up a really nice snack for unexpected company etc.

Last edited:
jpmcgrew said:
:) I make one with diced eggplant,onions sundried tomatoes and italian seasonings saute and put on crostini with some fresh mozarella and a little bit of feta run under broiler a bit.I can make a meal out of just about any kind of brushetta or crostini.You can make a quick bruschetta with some store bought pesto or olive tapenade,mozzarella and a slice of tomato.The possibilities are endless.
If you keep some of the sliced breads or toast in the freezer you can whip up a really nice snack for unexpected company etc.
jp,
like the eggplant idea..we love eggplant so I'll add that to my list...I'm with you on making a meal out of the crostini or bruschetta..I try to keep, grainy breads, ciabata, baguetts in the freezer all the time..I'm planning on making some baguetts this wek sometime so we can have crostini this coming sunday..

pdswife said:
I just found this one... sounds great to me.

( Thanks to CDkitchen)

Artichoke Crostini Recipe

• 12 ounces marinated artichoke hearts
  • 3 stalks heart of palm
  • 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup parmesan cheese
  • 2 clove garlic -- crushed
  • 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
  • French bread -- sliced 1"-thick
  • parmesan cheese for topping
  • paprika for topping
Directions:
Drain artichoke hearts and place in food processor with other ingredients and process quickly until coarsely chopped. Mound about 2 tablespoons mixture on top of bread slice, sprinkle with extra parmesan cheese and paprika. Place on baking sheet and put under broiler until topping is hot and bubbly. Serve immediately.This recipe for Artichoke Crostini serves/makes 12.

Texas... looks like it's a piece of French bread toasted and
then topped with yummy things.
Pds, it's any of the artisan breads..I love them all and it's fun to make up a tray using several different breads...
Love the looks of this recipe Pds, made a copy and will try most likely this sunday. Thanks

:) Thank kadesma! I also love eggplant in any form.I once had an eggplant stuffing this lady made 33 years ago I was only 15 but I thought it was the best stuff I ever had.Do you have a recipe?

If you could call me, I could tell you faster than I can type. :LOL:

Here's a blast from the (DC) past :LOL:

Mozzarella S'mores (Mozzarella, basil, tomatoes)

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/mozzarella-smores-12940.html?highlight=mozzarella+s%27mores

In the appy catagory, I posted a recipe for Spanish Mushroom Tapas - You can use the bread of choice.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/majorcan-mushroom-tapas-19305.html?highlight=tapas

In my files, I remember a strawberry crostini - could look it up if you like. (If I recall, strawberries, spinach leaves, mozzarella? & balsamic.?)

Tapenade

Pate

Caponata

Marinated artichokes hearts (or asparagus), roasted red peppers, black olives, onions

Smoked salmon + anything, lol on foccacia, maybe

Not really crostini, and sitting on a muffin, but they make me smile:) Any excuse for chocolate, right? :LOL: :

T124.jpg

S'Morffins
spacer.gif

- 6 English Muffins lightly toasted and buttered
- 8 milk chocolate bars (1.55 ounces each) divided
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows, divided
- 3 pints super-premium vanilla ice cream
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped and toasted walnuts, divided
- hot fudge or caramel sauce, warmed (optional)

Place muffins on foil-lined baking sheet. Break chocolate bars into squares. Top each muffin half with eight (8) chocolate squares. Broil, in preheated broiler, to just lightly melt chocolate. Arrange 1/4 cup marshmallows on each muffin half; press into melted chocolate. Broil muffins about 6 inches from heat source, until the marshmallows are puffed and golden brown and chocolate has melted. Scoop ice cream onto prepared muffin halves; then top with 2 tablespoons walnuts. Spoon heated fudge or caramel sauce over each S’morffin, if desired. Serve immediately.

TIP: Rotate pan to toast marshmallows evenly.

Serves 12

Last edited:
jpmcgrew said:
:) Thank kadesma! I also love eggplant in any form.I once had an eggplant stuffing this lady made 33 years ago I was only 15 but I thought it was the best stuff I ever had.Do you have a recipe?
I don't have a recipe for eggplant stuffing, but I have one I make for my kids that we call eggplant sandwiches..It's simple, I dip eggplant in flour, then egg then seasoned breadcrumbs, then fry in evoo. I lay the slices on a lightly oiled cookie sheet, then put a slice of provolone on then top with another slice of eggplant, I then make a lemon,butter,parsley, white wine sauce to pour over the top, I don't put much of the sauce maybe a tablespoon on each sandwich..It's also good as is without a sauce and a nice marinara works well too. Me I just eat as is without sauce or anything but a little salt..

mish said:
If you could call me, I could tell you faster than I can type. :LOL:

Here's a blast from the (DC) past :LOL:

Mozzarella S'mores (Mozzarella, basil, tomatoes)

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/mozzarella-smores-12940.html?highlight=mozzarella+s%27mores

In the appy catagory, I posted a recipe for Spanish Mushroom Tapas - You can use the bread of choice.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/majorcan-mushroom-tapas-19305.html?highlight=tapas

In my files, I remember a strawberry crostini - could look it up if you like. (If I recall, strawberries, spinach leaves, mozzarella? & balsamic.?)

Tapenade

Pate

Caponata

Marinated artichokes hearts (or asparagus), roasted red peppers, black olives, onions

Smoked salmon + anything, lol on foccacia, maybe

Not really crostini, and sitting on a muffin, but they make me smile:) Any excuse for chocolate, right? :LOL: :

T124.jpg

S'Morffins
spacer.gif

Place muffins on foil-lined baking sheet. Break chocolate bars into squares. Top each muffin half with eight (8) chocolate squares. Broil, in preheated broiler, to just lightly melt chocolate. Arrange 1/4 cup marshmallows on each muffin half; press into melted chocolate. Broil muffins about 6 inches from heat source, until the marshmallows are puffed and golden brown and chocolate has melted. Scoop ice cream onto prepared muffin halves; then top with 2 tablespoons walnuts. Spoon heated fudge or caramel sauce over each S’morffin, if desired. Serve immediately.

Serves 12
Oh boy now you've really got me going:LOL: Anything you'd like to post is whooo Hooo with me..You have the best recipes..I love it, it makes me think, instead of using oldies we are tired of..The strawberry one sounds yummy...

I like crostini with goat cheese & a creamy marsala mushroom. I used to be able to find this artisian bread with pears & hazelnuts, it was divine with the goat cheese & mushroom combo. To make the mushrooms just saute with rosemary and s&p until the liquid is mostly gone, throw in some sweet marsala wait and again wait until the liquid evaporates. Then add a little cream and some flour or roux to thicken if you need to or you can let it cook down. Also good on noodles with shaved gruyere.

I think roasted garlic & brie stuck under the broiler would be good too.

corazon90 said:
I like crostini with goat cheese & a creamy marsala mushroom. I used to be able to find this artisian bread with pears & hazelnuts, it was divine with the goat cheese & mushroom combo. To make the mushrooms just saute with rosemary and s&p until the liquid is mostly gone, throw in some sweet marsala wait and again wait until the liquid evaporates. Then add a little cream and some flour or roux to thicken if you need to or you can let it cook down. Also good on noodles with shaved gruyere.

I think roasted garlic & brie stuck under the broiler would be good too.
Cora,
sounds wonderful and we are going to try it...We're getting some great ideas here..Thanks

mish said:

T124.jpg

S'Morffins
spacer.gif

Serves 12

Oh. My. Gosh. :ohmy: That looks so yummy. My neice's birthday is next week... maybe I should make her a batch of those!!!

let me know how you like it! I love the salty & sweet combination of the tart goat cheese and sweet mushrooms. Sounds like I will have to make it soon too! It has been a long time since I've made it. dh doesn't like goat cheese so I will make it next time he works. Thanks for the reminder! Maybe in the future we should have a crostini night dine with us!

kadesma said:
Oh boy now you've really got me going:LOL: Anything you'd like to post is whooo Hooo with me..You have the best recipes..I love it, it makes me think, instead of using oldies we are tired of..The strawberry one sounds yummy...

I'll be back :LOL: (California joke). Thanks, kads. We like all the same 'stuff'. (Couldn't resist showing you the s'morffins :ROFLMAO: -- the name just cracks me up)

Back
Top Bottom