Spicy Pot Roast REC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dakota Rose

Assistant Cook
New to the board, I'm submitting a recipe for a favorite pot roast.

3-5 lb. beef pot roast (I prefer chuck)
2 TBSPs olive oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 bay leaf
4 stalks celery, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
In Dutch oven, brown meat in oil. Mix together brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, bay leaf, celery and onions. Pour over roast. Cover tightly and cook 2-3 hours (until fork-tender) in a 300 degree oven. Remove roast, tent with foil. Discard bay leaf, drain excess fat and thicken sauce with cornstarch/water slurry. Pour some sauce over sliced beef, pass remaining separately.

Probably not the kind of pot roast grandma made, but very tasty nonetheless!

Dakota Rose

I'm a bit suspicious of those who don't like chicken fried steak, myself, but I also appreciate tweaking a pot roast!

Dakota Rose

Dakota Rose said:
New to the board, I'm submitting a recipe for a favorite pot roast.

3-5 lb. beef pot roast (I prefer chuck)
2 TBSPs olive oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 bay leaf
4 stalks celery, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
In Dutch oven, brown meat in oil. Mix together brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, bay leaf, celery and onions. Pour over roast. Cover tightly and cook 2-3 hours (until fork-tender) in a 300 degree oven. Remove roast, tent with foil. Discard bay leaf, drain excess fat and thicken sauce with cornstarch/water slurry. Pour some sauce over sliced beef, pass remaining

separately.

Probably not the kind of pot roast grandma made, but very tasty nonetheless!

Dakota Rose
I bet it smells good as it cooks, and taste like heaven,I bet...

Legs, this isn't "spicy" in terms of heat. Rather, the addition of soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, isn't typical around here ... most pot roast recipes I come across contain thyme, beef broth, tomatoes, carrots, maybe sour cream or a glug of red wine. What I call "Yankee" pot roast. Standard Sunday dinner fare in the Upper Midwest.

Dakota

Like how a lot of curry powders are spicy, but not hot.

I'm definitely plotting on trying this, but I see it going in the crockpot after I brown it.

Billdolfski, I hope you like it! I always used a crock pot until mine :mad:conked out, so I can tell you that works very well.

:chef:Dakota

Here's the roast itself... I'll make the gravy when it's time. There is a UFC fight tonight, I figure I'll probably take it to wherever I watch it and serve it there. The roast is tasty, btw.

img_239190_0_bbf4a20879e511167f38cfdbd2eb2be8.jpg

Dakota Rose,
how nice, will give this a try sometime next week..Love all the ingredients and it's a great change from tomatoes and herbs and things I've always used..We had gotten a little tired of it that way, so this will be a great change. I just know it's going to be yummy. Thank you for sharing...Looks as if it might go nicely with some steamed rice..

kadesma :)

That's what I thought too, Kadesma. I am embarrassed to admit this, but I do really love beef flavor Rice-a-Roni with mushrooms in it. One could also add some frozen stir-fry vegetables to the rice, and spoon that good gravy over the top.
Of course your own homemade rice pilaf would be better, I'm sure.

Kadesma and Constance, thank you for your kind words! It is a nice change of pace, and I hope it works for you. BTW, I live in the heart of potato country and I always serve this roast with plain:whistling boiled, white rice. Change is good, right?

Dakota Rose said:
Kadesma and Constance, thank you for your kind words! It is a nice change of pace, and I hope it works for you. BTW, I live in the heart of potato country and I always serve this roast with plain:whistling boiled, white rice. Change is good, right?

Of course, change is good:LOL: I like potatoes, but, to me your recipe just begs for nice white fluffy rice..Emmm, emmmm I won't be having a day off from babysitting my grandsons and grand daughter this week, so this will be perfect to put in the crock pot and let her go....I picked up a pot roast yesterday and I'm all set to go.

kadesma :)

Back
Top Bottom