Baumalu Coppper Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elanavan

Assistant Cook
Hello all,

I have an opprotunity to buy what looks like some nice heavy duty copper pots by a company called Baumalu. I cannot find a website for them, and when I google them all I get are french sites. The pots have cast iron handles, and are tin lined. Has anyone heard of this company, and how do you feel about tin lining for pots?

Thanks

Elana

be careful. The top copper companies include: Mauviel, FAulk Culinair, Bourgeat, Dehlierin, Lara, Ruffoni, and Pupueini. These pans are heavy copper, all can come tin lined, and several also have a stainless lining.

If the copper feels light, even if the handle is heavy, if the copper is laquered, think twice. No pan copmpany expecting their wares to really be used laquers their pans. I have seen some "French copper" from Alsace region and it does not look or feel like what I cook with daily. The tin lining also doesn't seem very substantial.

Tin lined copper is great, but requires some care, as does non stick lining for example. But a thin lining will wear faster and require retining sooner. Home cooks should expect to retin a pan in 8 to 10 years of average use.

THe other tell tale sign is cost: A copper pan of quality is going to cost what an All Clad pan costs or more (their top line btw). SO at a discount house, you can expect to pay 50% of that. A 3qt pan should run about $80 in a Marshalls or TJMax. If it's less than that, I really suspect the workmanship or qualilty of the metal.

However if you want it for display, go ahead.

I just hate to see really fine cookware get a bad reputation from a few brands being sold that don't deliver the goods so to speak.

RIght now CHefs Resource (on line) has Mauviel on sale. Also check out hand made Tasmanian copper at www.Laracopper.com These folks guarentee their work.

It seems to be a real brand, and it's being sold at Winner's which is the Canadian TJM. The prices are in line with what you're saying, and it just seems like a good deal. I haven't decided yet. I know that tin requires more care, but you should see what I'm cooking with right now. It's pathetic, and I'm a chef student. Thanks for the response. I'm just not sure. Usually too good to be true, is.

well, yes and no. I began collecting copper pots at Marshalls, like a TJ max, and got tin lined hammered Mauviel. wow! THeir prices have gone up. But .

THe tin lining cookes fine, use wood or nylon utensils and soak food off in hot water, it will last a long time.
THe caution is: if the lining looks thin (plated) rather than hand wiped (irregular, even clumpy) Hand wiped is thicker and lasts longer. retinning can cost $60 or more, so better later than sooner. However, if you are getting a $150 pot for $50, and have to pay $50 for retining in 5 years, you are still ahead.

Buy one or two and give them a try. A fine copper pot heats fast and cools fast giving you great control. I can boil soup or stew in a pot on med low, never having raised the temp. food simmers gently, evenly without constant attention. And heavy copper cleans easily, polish after every use and it's never hard to clean. Or let it get brown with patina...still very pretty.

If the pot's good, it's addictive.

If the pot has been lacquered, that tells me that the company is not expecting people to buy the pot for use, but for show. It is a pain to remove the lacquer, I don't care what product you use.

Seems nobody has much info on this company. wish I could say yes go for it. But you have seen the goods, I haven't. GIve a call to a major gourmet shop or restaraunt supply company and see what they know. www.Broadwaypanhandler.com give them a call see what they know.

THis is the reply I got from the one of the largest resaurant supply and gourmet cookware companies in NYC, with extensive trade with French Manufacturers.

"Broadway Panhandler is not familiar with Baumalu copper cookware. We regret that we are unable to assist you. "

just fyi

Baumalu

elanavan said:
Hello all,

I have an opprotunity to buy what looks like some nice heavy duty copper pots by a company called Baumalu. I cannot find a website for them, and when I google them all I get are french sites. The pots have cast iron handles, and are tin lined. Has anyone heard of this company, and how do you feel about tin lining for pots?

Thanks

Elana

I have a Baumalu pan and I find it excellent! It's tinned by hand (who many prefer to stainless steel). This is high quality copperware!
Kind regards, Chris

I have worked with Baumalu extensively while in Paris.

It is a Common Copperware used in Commercial Restauruants in France and in Germany while I was shopping in Berlin I saw it for sale in one of the major cookware shops.

LOVE IT! 2mm rocks! --> I have several top quality copperware sets... Baumalu ranks in the top! :chef:

Tin Rules! - Just control your heat and years of cooking enjoyment are ahead!

TCM said:
I have a Baumalu pan and I find it excellent! It's tinned by hand (who many prefer to stainless steel). This is high quality copperware!
Kind regards, Chris

Last edited:
Sorry for the late post, I hope it is not too late...
I learned about Baumalu while in Belgium, their cooper pans are great and I was told it is professional grade. I own a set of 5 pieces and they are great (I use gas burners), the only things to watch are cooking temperature or heating an empty pan and using wooden sppons to avoid damaging the tin coating. Falk is also great (SS laminated on cooper), they produce the raw material for other manufacturers, like Mauviel near Leuven in Belgium.

BAUMALU Cooper Cookware's has a website

The question seems to be Who this company is - well unlike us here in America the French are less direct but no less cleaver. I have found the website but they won't let me post it but use a search engine with the nationality of the company and the words "old" and "new"

Sorry to disappoint, but I didn't post about the Falk Factory, I was trying
to post the website for Baumalu Copper Cookware but you have to be a Senior
Cook I believe before you can post websites. You see I had encountered the
same problem as many others, Who was this company and where was there
website that I might see for myself. The website for this company is
w.french-old-and-new.cmo this looks to be a charming place to check out if
your in the neighborhood. But, as for the Falk Factory I am sorry. You may
check with "wysiwyg" and "Robo410" both mentioned the Falk Factory. Also, in
reading, "GuyGella" seems to be familiar with Paris he/she may be able to
assist you with some first hand information.
I hope you have a safe and wonderful time in Brussels, and France should
your travels take you there also. And, I shall look forward to hearing of
your trip when you return.

Have a Merry Christmas or a Happy Hanukkah
M. Dugger

CHAMP,
I own Baumalu pans, they are 2.2/2.3 mm thick cooper lined with tin. I mistakenly said that I own 5 pieces (I own 7) and they are really good. However, I take care of them properly (no high heat on an empty pan, hand washing, no metal spoons, etc.)
They come lacquered to avoid cooper tarnishing during shipping, the lacquer can be removed with a cotton embebbed with acetone and washing afterwards.
I don't know if the company has a website, they are suppliers to commercial equipment in France and the rest of Europe and as I said, they perform great. I purchased 5 of these pans in a shop near Poitiers in France, the other 2 in a Home Goods store in Michigan.
I also have 3 sauciers from Falk Culinaire that I bought at thier factory in Wespelaar, Belgium. These are 1.5 mm thick cooper with 0.2 mm SS and also are great, very similar to Mauviel since Falk manufactures the raw material (Cu+SS) for both products.

Seems like you are replying to somebody. I was also asked about directions to the Falk factory earlier, I already provided them in detail. With the decline of the Dollar I wonder how expensive they are now. Back 5 yrs. ago they were about 50/60% off USA prices.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom