Measure or not to measure... that is the question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamholt

Assistant Cook
I think I am a decent cook. Although, I measure everything. I lack that naturally cook - my dad has it but I don't trust myself enough not to measure.

Last edited by a moderator:
tamholt said:
I don't trust myself enough not to measure.
That just comes with time and practice. Try not measuring every once in a while. I bet you will be better at it than you think.

When it comes to regular cooking, the only time I measure is when I'm trying out a new recipe and for baking.

Otherwise, the things that I cook on a routine basis, I mainly just eyeball it. Like the time last winter when I made Shephard's Pie for the first time, I just eyeballed everything.

~Corey123.

Huh, I wish I knew how to mesuare food for the recipe. You are lucky to be doing that. I can't follow recipe for the life of me. That is why none of my food ever tastes the same. And it's okay if tastes better, but it is not always the case. Good luck to you. Measuring is the last thing I would be worrying in the kitchen.

As for taste, try seasoning the food at the beginning, then tasting halfway through the cooking process, then tasting again near the end of the cooking process to see what it needs or doesn't need.

It's better this way because you eliminate having too muich of something, in the food such as salt or pepper. This works for me!

You can always add, but you can't take away.

~Corey123.

I also eyeball the amount in most cases, except for certain situation (baking, making ice cream, totally a new recipe I am not accustomed to etc.)

I go through the same procedure like Corey, lightly season it at the beginning, then make an adjustment as needed later on. Also there is always the issue of personal preference, too... some people prefer their food spicier, sweeter, garlickier, cheesier etc. or the other way around...
Also it is often true for the cooking time in the oven... every oven is different and you need to kinda keep an eye on how it is going, very often it is ready before the given cooking time, or takes longer than what the recipe says.

This may be a bit mindboggling to an absolute beginner or someone who is accustomed to rigidly follow a given recipe, but IMO it is a good idea to learn to make adjustments in your own way, that is one of the keys to expand your cooking horizon and open the door to more creativity...:)

I drive my wife nuts by not measuring. She's big on following recipes, and I'm forever making things up on the fly (a dash of this, a little of that...). When I come up with something she likes, she wants me to write it down with the measurements, and not the dash, pinch, to taste kinds of measurements! :LOL:

My mom never measured anything, so that's probably where it comes from.
I've got a couple of recipes from her that just list out ingredients, no measurements. Sheila won't make those, if I want them, I have to make them!

John

"This doesn't taste the same as last time!"

"I really liked it the last time you made it. Why did you change it?"

"This isn't the same!"

Why do I measure? See above!

I'm with corey and Uramaniac.
Most of the things that I cook, I eyeball it, UNLESS, that little tiny extra will change the taste.
As for baking and new recipes, or recipes that I haven't made in a while, I ALWAYS measure.

Things having to do with science and chemistry, I always measure, anything else, I usually eyeball it. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's better, and sometimes not. I have had some additions to my compost pile through not measuring, tho. Did I say I have a wonerful compost pile?

The one thing I have trouble eyeballing is liquid measurements of two cups or more. For some reason I do not trust myself with those. I can eyeball a quarter cup, but not 3 cups.

When I do measure, I always go with weights not the volume. For example you can never be sure about the exact amount of flour when it was measured as "cup", also there is too often a question about tablespoon or tea spoon, is it supposed to be even or heaped? Which type of table(tea) spoon is it meant? I find weight is much more dependable as it eliminates all these uncertainties, and as I said, I only measure ingredients when the exact proportion is a crucial factor...

Last edited:
Great question! If the recipe is for a cake or souffle, for example, I will measure and follow the instructions to the T. If I am trying a recipe for the first time, I will follow the directions, as I think there is a purpose in achieving the end result. Of course, when it comes to ingredients like salt & pepper, cheese, garlic etc., etc., to taste - that is a matter of taste. I often sub ingredients for those I like, but keep in mind, you may need to adjust cooking time. Measuring, IMO, is a good thing, when trying a recipe for the first time. And if the recipe calls for a level tsp, tbl, etc, there is probably a good reason.

Last edited:
If I'm baking ( which I hardly ever do) I measure EVERYTHING.

If I'm cooking... I just throw it all in.

GB, you make me think too hard, now my brain is in overload. I guess I measure more than not, since you added that. I'm the same way. I guess my eyeballing is more to herbs and seasonings, rather than solid and liquid if it's more than 1/2 cup of stuff.
Scratch my first post then!! ;o)

pdswife said:
If I'm baking ( which I hardly ever do) I measure EVERYTHING.

If I'm cooking... I just throw it all in.

Yup... I do this too. Baking is more delicate and scientific.. the ratios need to be just right. Cooking is a lot more forgiving. (which is why I prefer cooking to baking :LOL: )

urmaniac13 said:
When I do measure, I always go with weights not the volume....

I think it is Europian thing, back in the old country majoruty of the recipes came with weight not cups.

tamholt said:
I think I am a decent cook. Although, I measure everything. I lack that naturally cook - my dad has it but I don't trust myself enough not to measure.
Just because you measure doesn't mean you aren't a natural cook. I can eyeball a lot of things now, but I couldn't always do that. I still measure some things. Experience has helped with some measurements. For instance, I know half a jar of molasses and half a small bottle of soy sauce is perfect for my chop suey. As far as being a natural--I love to sew, and I am really good at it, if I have a pattern. I can make changes to it, but if I don't have a pattern, I can just forget it. But I feel I am a natural at sewing. Same with cooking--you can follow a recipe and still be a natural. Just experiment a little with different ingredients, spices, etc., and you can make a recipe your own. :) And if you like it the way it is, why monkey with it?:-p

:) Barbara

I measure some things, others I do by feel and taste. I've found that a LOT of recipes don't call for enough seasonings, at least for my taste, so I've learned from ending up with some rather bland dishes that I need to be a bit more aggressive.... I sort of tend to follow Emeril's advice and "Kick it up" a notch. But I also always cook with my 2 and 4 cup measuring cups handy, and my cheap set of metal measuring cups and spoons. They serve nicely as scoops as well as measurers, and often I just use them to help out my estimating ability.

As has been said... with baking you do need to measure or you can get wildly varying results.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom