Butter VS Margarine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus

Pass the butter ~ ~ ~ ~ This is interesting.

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings.

DO YOU KNOW...the difference between margarine and butter?
Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.
Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.
Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.
** Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
** Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added!
** Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.
** Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine..
** Very high in trans fatty acids.
** Triple the risk of coronary heart disease.
** Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)
** Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold.
** Lowers quality of breast milk.
** Decreases immune response.
** Decreases insulin response.
And here's the most disturbing fact....
HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC..

This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value; nothing will grow on it Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Very interesting article... thanks for the read!

I personally cannot stand margarine... I think it tastes AWFUL! My parents always buy and use margarine but that's because my step-Dad is on a special diet. (they buy the low fat, non-hydrogenated types) I still think they all taste terrible though.

Real butter is the best!

Yep, planned on getting real butter today.....yep, sure did....I swear!!:angel:

I really am now though!! Jeez, Alix, thanks for letting me know I've been eating plastic all these years!:wacko: :sick:

I'm going to do the test of it in the garage. I just have to see if it really works.

All kidding aside, thanks for the info Alix!!:)

LOL! As with anything guys read the article carefully, they are clearly promoting butter. This also only refers to HYDROGENATED margarine which is very different from the non hydrogenated stuff that many folks NEED to use for heart stuff.

BUT, this article made me glad I use butter more often than not. Blech.

A lot of it isn't really true, either.

I detest margerine. Butter or evoo for me. Unless it's food allergy related margerine use.

I hear you jenny. Still...reading stuff like that always gives me pause. Its one of the reasons I decided to go back to buying the least messed with stuff I could. Closer to nature is closer to healthy in my book.

Talk to the right person, and you'll hear derogatory comments about anything. Frankly, we used to use margerine until I started to learn about all the trans fat stuff and the fact that it is essentially plastic, and man made. I'll take more butter, please. All natural butter. Yum!

On the same note, take a look at your no stick spray ingredients. Pam has grain alcohol in it as a propellant. Mazola (or however you spell it) has poly something or other in it (read: plastic). Crisco spray had one or the other as well, I forget. I use Target's generic brand (Market Panty) that has neither, but does have more ingredients. I haven't figured out what they are yet, so for all I know it may be worse then the others!

Kinda scary isn't it? You can buy a cool little oil sprayer thingy from Pampered Chef...or at least you used to be able to. It replaced Pam etc for those who were concerned about propellants and other ingredients.

Dina? You reading this? Pampered Chef question here!

I remember watching a program on TV that does product reviews. They were comparing Pam and other no-stick sprays along with a product similar to the Pampered Chef Kitchen Spritzer.

They baked muffins and sprayed the pan using all the different products to compare which had the best no-stick quality. They were all pretty much the same.

Then they did a blind taste test and the only product that really passed the taste test was the oil in the spritzer. Okay, so even if that little story doesn't sell a spritzer, this one might....

Read the label....what's the magic ingredient in Pam, etc., that isn't in the Kitchen Spritzer? PROPANE!
eek.gif
Yes, I know it dissipates...not 100%, but most of it. Still, PROPANE? No thanks.

Now, everybody run to their cupboard and read the label.

Dina said:
Read the label....what's the magic ingredient in Pam, etc., that isn't in the Kitchen Spritzer? PROPANE!
eek.gif
Yes, I know it dissipates...not 100%, but most of it. Still, PROPANE? No thanks.

Yeah, it's pretty gross, hey?

Do what I do! Take a clean spritzer bottle (new of course, don't re-use hairspray bottles or anything like that! :LOL: ) and pour in some olive oil. Use that as your additive/alcohol free non-stick spray. It works like a charm, is much cheaper, tastes better and isnt full of weird chemicals.

On the old Food Tv message boards, a guy once asked if it was ok to fry food in PAM. By this he meant spraying the whole can into a fry pan so that he had a layer of liquid oil in it. :sick:

ick ick ick

I had one of those Pampered Chef thingies to spray olive oil out of. Didn't work worth stink, IMO.

Butter or oil up your pan another way. Margarine is just creepy.

I bought a spray bottle from Walmart for under $5 that you fill with oil and pump it up then spray oil like an aerosol can.

mudbug said:
ick ick ick

I had one of those Pampered Chef thingies to spray olive oil out of. Didn't work worth stink, IMO.

Butter or oil up your pan another way. Margarine is just creepy.

I'm with you Grumblebee and with Mudbug on the margarine stuff. I'm not trying to sell anyone a Pampered Chef spritzers (I'm not even going to become a consultant after all, for that matter) just believe that going with the most natural ingredients in cooking is the safest and healthiest thing to do.

I just got back from the grocery store. I hafta tell ya, I don't like using sticks, but, since reading this, I got REAL butter in sticks.:LOL: I wanna see if Dh and the Boys can tell the difference.

Wow, the country really came out on the typing today LOL:ROFLMAO:

mudbug said:
no adding any propellants, Andy? That might work.

The only porpellent is the air you pump in.

I use it all the time. I keep it filled with olive oil.

Okay, okay, I'm convinced! No more margarine in this house! I really liked my pampered chef spritzer but it got to the point it wouldn't work correctly. Andy, what department did you find the pump bottle in?

Back
Top Bottom