How to use Dutch oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dolphinesque

Assistant Cook
Hi guys, I have a dutch oven that for the most part has been sitting outside with a layer of rust cos I didnt know how to use it .I have since cleaned it and seasoned it but still not too sure whether to use it in my oven or do you just use it with coals.I am not too sure about using the latter cos I know my 2 cats and dog would be sitting around salivating over it.:furious:

Sounds like you have a cast iron Dutch oven. Once seasoned it will work great in either of the ways you mentioned.

If it has feet and a flat lid with a raised border, it was made to be used in a wood fire. You sit the pot on top of burning coals and shovel more coals onto the lid, providing 'all-around' heat for cooking.

If it has a flat bottom, it's meant for stove top or oven use. The footed model will work in the oven as well.

Either would be great for making a batch of chili or a beef stew.

What Andy said. A great campfire "trick" is blueberry cobbler when you have picked the wild blueberries to make it.
The lid of the oven can be turned over, put over the fire and used as a griddle for bacon, etc.
We found a very useful tool for handling the hot oven or lid was a pair of channel lock pliers.

Thanx guys :) . Mine is cast iron with a flat bottom and a domed lid .I will try a stew in it and see how it goes.......will let you know.

mmmmmmmmmmm ...yummm.Tried some chuck steak,onion,stock cube, carrot,tomato and worcestishire sauce...turned out great.I will have to get some other ideas on what to cook in it now. Thanks once again.

Blueberry Cobbler

Gretchen...
Can you post this recipe? Sounds wonderful, especially after picking fresh berries.

Thanking you in advance!
J :chef:

So boiling a pot of potatoes in one isn't good? I was out of the right size pot and since my dad gave me this item with the words "dutch oven" across the top that was the right size, I used it. Was this wrong? I didn't realize it was supposed to be burried in hot coals or used in the oven.

Gretchen said:
We found a very useful tool for handling the hot oven or lid was a pair of channel lock pliers.
There are some custom tools that do the job better and safer. The best is a Mair Lid Lifter

[img}http://www.chuckwagonsupply.com/mair%201.JPG[/img]

There are three legs and a single or doubel prong in teh center. You put the prong through the lid hole. Squeeze the handles and you have the lid tightly held. You can pour coals/ashes right off a hot lid without fear of dropping or tipping it against your hand. One leg has a hook for lifting the bail. Really great tool.

There are other hook type lifters out there that work well too, but they're not as versatile as the Mair.

thymeless

wnabchef said:
Gretchen...
Can you post this recipe? Sounds wonderful, especially after picking fresh berries.

Thanking you in advance!
J :chef:

Just use Bisquick recipe.

Sephora said:
So boiling a pot of potatoes in one isn't good? I was out of the right size pot and since my dad gave me this item with the words "dutch oven" across the top that was the right size, I used it. Was this wrong? I didn't realize it was supposed to be burried in hot coals or used in the oven.

You can use it for whatever you want--no problem. Cast iron isn't very good to cook tomato dishes in. It doesn't have to be used for camping (unless it is the kind with the "feet".). It's just a cast iron pot.

thymeless said:
There are some custom tools that do the job better and safer. The best is a Mair Lid Lifter

[img}http://www.chuckwagonsupply.com/mair%201.JPG[/img]

There are three legs and a single or doubel prong in teh center. You put the prong through the lid hole. Squeeze the handles and you have the lid tightly held. You can pour coals/ashes right off a hot lid without fear of dropping or tipping it against your hand. One leg has a hook for lifting the bail. Really great tool.

There are other hook type lifters out there that work well too, but they're not as versatile as the Mair.

thymeless

Your link doesn't work so I'm sort of guessing you have a tripod sort of setup. Anyway, I also have a pair of pliers that are a bit offset like the channel lock and that have a little hook to catch the bail. In about 20 years of camping don't believe I ever emptied any coals on myself--and had a lot less to pack around with us.

http://www.cabelas.com/spodw-1/0009974.shtml

I looked up the lid lifter and it is indeed a neat little tool. Have never seen one in any camping catalog I have read (and I read and ordered from Cabela's a LOT) but we stopped camping pretty muchwhen the kids left. I think this might be relatively new.

Last edited:
Gretchen said:
You can use it for whatever you want--no problem. Cast iron isn't very good to cook tomato dishes in. It doesn't have to be used for camping (unless it is the kind with the "feet".). It's just a cast iron pot.
Thanks. I was afraid I had ruined a 50 year old pot.

thymeless said:

I have to agree with thymeless. The Mair lid lifter is definitely the cadillac of lid lifters!

Back
Top Bottom