I need help fixing this thumbprint recipe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
It came from the back of a candy bag. It says to put in frig to harden enough to handle. Well, it would never get past the consistancy of soft brownie dough.

1 cup margarine or butter
1 1/3 cup sugar
2egg yolks
1/4 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups a/p flour
2/3 cocoa
1/2 tsp salt

beat butter, sugar, egg yolks, milk and vanilla. In separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa and salt. Gradually add too butter mixture.Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to handle.

Could it be the milk?

Yea, I used margarine! It's a hard habit to break.

I guess I can look at other recipes and compare the amounts and ingredients to see the real difference?

Think about this -
when butter's in the fridge, it's really hard. When margarine is in the fridge, it's not! My guess is that it's the margarine. Try spreading the dough into a pan and making bar cookies with thumbprints in each square.

Okay, I didn't think of it that way. Do you think it would be okay to cut down on the milk too? Or, should I just do as instructed?

I'd stick with the original recipe, but with butter. Is it a recipe from a manufacturer/book or from someone you know? Sometimes if someone shares their recipe, they forget things (I do it all the time!) but if it's in a (company, not compilation)book or printed from a company, it's generally been tried umpteen times.

It was on the back of a candy bag. I didn't print word for word, but, kept the quantities that were on there.

I'd stick with butter, and do the recipe as printed. If it doesn't come out properly again, contact the manufacturer. Here's another thought - go to the company's website, and see if there's any talk about this particular recipe.

Thanks jkath! The butter worked! I will continue with it and make them this evening and if it turns out, I will post it.

Back
Top Bottom