Healthy breakfast ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biev

Senior Cook
My problem with breakfast is that it's easy to skip it... so I make sure to always cook something that we like, but we end up eating lots of eggs and bacon/sausage, or sweets. I need to think of things that are yummy enough to be devoured in the morning, but not so rich. I'm on a tight budget, but I try to make us something different every day. Any ideas?

I like poached eggs and 12-grain bread.

I was going to suggest a homemade Egg McMuffin - just don't know how inexpensive that would be though.

I get a saute pan of water heating. Spray a little white ramekin with cooking spray and drop in an egg. Place in water bath - put a lid on - let cook about 10 minutes or so - you can tell when the egg is done.

Toast whole wheat English muffins, add a slice of Canadian bacon (not high in fat at all), add your egg and eat. An Egg McMuffin has a slice of cheese so if I want one I will use 2% cheese - but most times I leave the cheese off. It's very filling! You can also leave off the Canadian bacon - just do an egg and English muffin.

Oatmeal would also be another good option.

In order to get "full" I always think well-balanced (some kind of carb and protein combined). Take about 1/2 a cup of low fat cottage cheese and mix with 1/2 cup of fat free yogurt (strawberry, lime, vanilla) - just mix and eat. You have your cottage cheese and something a little sweet. It stays with you too.

oatmeal
cream of wheat

ever take a piece of bread.. pinch out the center just about inch or 2 circle.. butter both sides, then fry an egg in the center.. ( flip just like an egg -- both sides need to be cooked) my mom used to call that egg in a hole, we had it on every Thursday

crepes are VERY easy to make in the morning... cause you make the batter the night before, so they are ready to fry in the morning... fill full of fruit... like sliced cooked apples with cinnamon is very good!

A really simple, delicious and healthy breakfast is cottage cheese, fruit and toast. Canned pineapple chunks mixed right into cottage cheese is delicious! Or you can mix in a few berries, some canned peaches or pears.

Oh yes I make egg in a hole all the time :) Egg mcmuffin too, my husband likes a lot of eggs... but I should get canadian bacon instead of regular bacon, I hadn't thought about that (and I'm canadian, doh).

Come to think of it I make pretty much all of this already, maybe it's more of a proportion issue... I guess I'll try to incorporate more yogurt or oatmeal and fruit into our breakfast, and leave out the greasy stuff like sausage and bacon.

Don't forget deviled eggs!
My sons eat the last night's dinner leftovers for breakfast more often than typical breakfast food. For example, tonight I made chicken pie. My older boy has already dibbed the remainders for his morning treat.

See, I had to drink protein shakes before and I could not force the thing down my throat :-p And cereal bars make me feel sick... and I'm trying to cut back on the caffeine :(

biev said:
See, I had to drink protein shakes before and I could not force the thing down my throat :-p And cereal bars make me feel sick... and I'm trying to cut back on the caffeine :(

Yeah well normally you'd omit the caffeine for the breakfast to be healthy. The PowerBar isn't a cereal bar per se, not like the normal brands on the market. It's more like an energy bar. I also eat yogurt too a lot in the morning.

Place a cup of plain yogurt in a bowl, put 6 ounces of frozen fruit or berries on top of it, sprinkle on some sugar substitute of choice if necessary, and place it in the refrigerator before you go to bed. In the morning, it's ready.

A healthy, full breakfast could be Eggbeaters or, my preference, Best of the Egg, turkey bacon, and whole grain toast, with butter and no sugar added fruit preserves.

Real oatmeal, right out of the big round carton, can be cooked in the microwave, just like the little packages can. Add fruit of choice, or cinnamon, and a little bit of sugar (brown or white) or sugar substitiute if desired, and it's just as good as the little packets, except you control the flavor, the sugar, the salt, etc.

my breakfast tends to be a variation on a theme every day. i have a smallish tupperware, about the size of a cereal bowl, that gets a handful of dry cereal (i go with big chunky shapes, like shredded wheat or homemade granola), a half handful of dried fruit or a sliced fresh fruit, and a half handful of nuts. varying each of the 3 ingredients keeps it from getting old. everything is bite-size (not too big, not too small as to require a spoon) for eating in the car on the way to work. super quick & healthy.

the weekend, of course, doesn't require the commute or the time crunch, so is more leisurely: bowl of plain yogurt with dried fruit/nuts mixed in and honey drizzled on top, +/- fresh fruit, +/- toast with warmed butter creamed with honey to dip it in.

Last edited:
See, to me, the food has to be different every day or I will stop eating. It's very easy for me to start skipping meals and very hard to start eating them again.

I have been on a steel cut oatmeal kick recently. It takes a while to make (about 30 minutes or so), but you can make up a big batch and store it in the fridge then just nuke to re-heat it. It is good so many different ways. You can have it with brown suger or with honey. You can have it with butter and salt. You can put dried fruit in or even frest fruit. It is enexpensive, healthy, and filling.

We make old fashioned oatmeal and a fruit smoothie almost every morning. If you eat a bowl of oatmeal and then a smoothie, you'll be very full! Its all good for you too.

Back
Top Bottom