Cooking in Friends' Kitchens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I often find myself cooking in others' kitchens, even if it is just finishing up my contribution to a potluck. My ... well, I won't even call it a pet peeve .... more just a case of "I wonder." How do people cook without a decent knife? What do you find lacking in friends' and relatives' kitchens that you find essential in your own?

Without a doubt it would be a sharp knife. Everyone has knives, but they are usually just a little sharper than their butter knives. Most people have basic pots and pans and while they may not be the best, you can make due with them, but a sharp knife seems to be an endangered species among not foodies.

lol.. just have to laugh because I do not own a decent knife!!! I go to friends or my MIL house to cook and I always cut myself because I'm so used to cooking and preparing food with dull cheep horried knives.

My husband is in charge of keeping knives in fighting form, and he has bought different sharpening systems over the years. But even when it was inexpensive knives, they were always sharp. But I visit friends and family, and they always want me to cook, and I'm happy to oblige. My mom has just asked me what I'm cooking her when I visit this year. But I swear, I am bringing my own knives!!

Click on the link. It will show you a picture and give a description. Basically is it a plastic housing for the knife that allows you to bring your blades with you and still remain safe from accidental cuts. You can put your knife in the knife safe and then just toss it in your suitcase without worrying that someone will reach in and get hurt. I used them while I did not have a knife block. I kept all my knives (except my cleaver) in their own knife safe and then kept them all in a drawer. I did not have to worry about damaging them this way.

When we go on vacation every winter, I always take a couple of my knives with me in the very same knife safes that GB linked to.

Our timeshare has a 'fully equipped' kitchen. Sadly, my version of 'fully equipped' differs from theirs. The knives are a must. I wish I could pack some decent pots and pans as well. All they have are some thin SS stuff that is pre-programmed to burn your food.

Last edited:
Tx.. are you sure we're not twins separated at birth or something? You're very much like me. : )

decent pans, herbs, basics like sea salt, broth, dijon mustard, evoo, a good knife...amazing isn't it.

pdswife said:
Tx.. are you sure we're not twins separated at birth or something? You're very much like me. : )

I think that would be a VERY scary thought for some people!!:LOL: :ROFLMAO: to have two of me!!!

Gosh, I don't know, if a friend was coming over to do some carpentry, I am sure he would find my chisels dull, some stuff rusted, and a terrible mishmash of tools he would be horrified at.

But then again I have minimal interest in carpentry and little knowledge of the subject.

Many folks view cooking the same way.

They get by and generally have little interest in doing more. Although they like thier food to be tasty, they have no idea how to create it and are not willing to expend the effort to do so.

Just as I am not eager to learn how to make a China cabinet.

And so the the novice's tools frustrate those who are more adept at the skill.

We do cook, and have to, for family in another state. And we cannot drive there easily and basically have to fly.

What we do is use what implements they have, plan the recipes, buy almost everything we are going to need, and wing the rest, and sometimes buy a new pot or new knife to leave behind.

Just a thought.

GB said:
When I know I will be cooking somewhere else I bring my owns chefs knife. I use a knife safe to transport it.

Oh, gosh!!! Thank you so much! I've been trying to figure out how to transport my knives without dulling the edges for sometime now. Nothing I tried really worked. I didn't know the term "knife safe" so I couldn't do a search online for them!

Thank you! Thank you!

I guess what I find odd is that the people I'm talking about DO cook, and not grudgingly, they like it. I may get one friend a good knife for a present sometime, and I'm pretty sure one of her grandchildren probably got one for Mom. I have friends and family members who hate to cook, and those who love to. I swear the ones who hate to cook have better knives than those who love to. I wonder if people who hate to cook are more attracted to neat kitchen stuff, hoping that will make them want to cook?

I think most people do not care about their knives... At my MIL it was so bad that I insisted to give her a few good sharp knifes for christmas the year before :cool:
but know she admits that the new ones are worlds better than her old trash...

what else? no fresh or froozen veggies, but canned... canned mushrooms...:sick:
my friend never has garlic at home, I could not live without that... and she doesn't own a casserolle form... said it got lost during a move...
a big pot for pasta... also rarely seen...

I don't know about my friends' kitchens, but a sharp knife is exactly what is missing from mine... I was hoping to get some for my wedding, but nooo :-p
When I need to slice meat and I'm getting aggravated, I go get my filet knife from my fishing box :( Good thing I keep the thing sparkly clean.

I find it hard cooking in another kitchen because nothing seems to be handy.Not organized. things that should be near the stove are across the kitchen and no spices.

texasgirl said:
I think that would be a VERY scary thought for some people!!:LOL: :ROFLMAO: to have two of me!!!

Texas, that's why I'm an only child. :LOL:

I agree about the knives. We have two butchers blocks full of knives, which my husband keeps nicely sharpened, but it's amazing how few kitchens have even one sharp knife.
Right on about the spices, big pots and bowls...most people don't have tea-pots or big pitchers, either.

Another problem I have cooking in other people's kitchens...Sometimes I take a dish that needs to be reheated, and I'll swear, no two microwaves work alike. It's also amazing how some very otherwise neat and clean people let them get so nasty. There have been times I was leery about putting my dish inside for fear of contamination.

Back
Top Bottom