My newest pet peeve! What's yours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I see something similar has been done but this newest thing is really starting to get to me. And the worst is, I found myself doing this very same thing last week. I was sooo mad at me.:boxing:

When was "you're welcome" replaced by "not a problem"?:furious:

In other words, I say thank you to someone and their reply is, "Not a problem." I hate that....:wacko: ................our manners are going by the wayside...:glare: ..okay, now I feel better............thanks for letting me have a forum to vent on......:clap: ...

I think it is a generational thing. I find nothing wrong with saying not a problem in response to thank you, but I know a lot of people do not feel that way so I try to only say it (and yes I am very guilty of saying it) to people who I know will take it the right way. I would never say it to an executive in my office for instance, but to a close co-worker I would.

GB said:
I think it is a generational thing. I find nothing wrong with saying not a problem in response to thank you, but I know a lot of people do not feel that way so I try to only say it (and yes I am very guilty of saying it) to people who I know will take it the right way. I would never say it to an executive in my office for instance, but to a close co-worker I would.

Good point you made. Perhaps I should rethink my position.:mellow:

I also use 'my pleasure'. As on the plane, (it really is) when someone says thank you to me.

I worked with a lady that I know meant well. She was sort of AR or so all of us thought anyway. Her favorite saying for 5 days of us working together, about anything that came up, "no worries". By the end of 5 days, all of our worries were that we were about to thump her melon if she said that phrase just one more time.hahahahahh.......I'm not being rude here, you know how it is when someone has a catch phrase that is theirs and theirs alone? It's like the guy on Trading Spaces who I adore, but his favorite catch phrase (and he gets annoyed if anyone else uses it) is "Sah-weeeeeeeeeeeet!"

I must need sugar or chocolate or something:(

Last edited:
You're welcome has always been a little redundant to me. You've already done something nice for someone and they say thank you and you say "you are welcome". I usually say "Sure". I think that is just as friendly - just my opinion.

My latest that I have been using is "My pleasure", but I make sure not to say that when it really isn't true :)

I don't mind either way... as long as I get a response of some kind.

My pet peeve is that... everytime I go to Safeway ( at least once a week for the last five years) I get asked at least 4 times if I've found every thing I've been looking for. My son has worked there for five years so I know 90% of the people, they know I come in ALL THE TIME, they know I'm David's mom.... they know I know where everything is... but still the company forces them to ask. I know it's a small thing but it bugs me.

I have also started using "my pleasure" or "it's my pleasure" (like GB - when I mean it) and, while not exactly bowing when I say it, I do nod or tilt my head slightly when I say it... I guess that's like a mini-bow.

I guess it's situational and I have used all variations in different settings... and, as long as we're getting all cultural here, the casual response in Australia is "no worries" (often followed by 'mate') but their more formal response is also "you're welcome".

awesome suggestion mudbug!!!

i understand your gripe, but ya know, in the end (lol, i can't say that without thinking of tg and brokebutt mountain) it's all good!

(running awayyyyyy)

pds - I know why they ask that. They have to! Every major retailer is mystery-shopped by a third party company on a regular basis. The shopper has to go down the checklist to make sure the sales associate did everything properly, and made sure the customer was satisfied. Then they report it to their company. Of course the people at the grocery store know you, but for all they know, the nice lady behind you is a mystery shopper, watching their every move.

As for the "no worries" thing....I bet she started saying it after she saw the movie "50 first dates" it's in there constantly.

I do appreciate the "it's my pleasure" response to "Thank you". It shows class and proper etiquette. Saying "no problem" to me, means, "whether or not you were here, I was gonna do it anyway, so, like, whatever."

My other pet peeve, I truly can't stand when someone refers to their mistake as "my bad".

I tend to say "Oh it was no problem at all". Somehow saying "Your Welcome" feels smug when I say it.

What grates on my nerves worse than ANYTHING is the phrase "DUH!" or "Well DUH!" ESPECIALLY when a child say's it to it's elder. It just makes me want to introduce that attitude to a belt behind the woodshed :LOL:

Running a close race behind "DUH" is:

1. "Whatever"
1. "Talk to the hand"

and where actions are concerned:

1. Adult's who suck a pacifier!:angry::censored::furious:

~ Raven ~

Corinne said:
Are you serious?!? Or is "pacifier" a nickname for something else - if so, I didn't get it! :huh:

No seriously! There is a "fashion trend" where allegedly grown people carry around a Nuk and you can actually see them walking down the street sucking on it! :ermm:

They've even started making pacifiers for adults! :wacko:

It's sick!

~ Raven ~

Raven said:
No seriously! There is a "fashion trend" where allegedly grown people carry around a Nuk and you can actually see them walking down the street sucking on it! :ermm:

They've even started making pacifiers for adults! :wacko:

It's sick!

~ Raven ~

I can not believe that this topic has arisen. < Did I make up that word? Anyway, I have my grandson's pacifier (binky) on my roller board/roll about for traveling. It's my identifer for when the man in the van takes out all luggage that looks exactly alike all being black. People ask me if that's on there due to my being afraid of flying. I say "heck no". It's there because it brings my grandson to my mind and I feel his presence. Honestly though, I should take a pix so you'd all believe me. His binky hanging from my suitcase. Very 'not' sheek.

Back
Top Bottom